Menu

Am I the only one who didn't know there were a bunch of Fairy books?

Heather in VA

I'd never heard of them either until about six months ago when a friend showed them to me. Now I'm on the lookout for them. Of course, I'd rather buy them cheap if I can, so I have found any yet. LOL

J

I managed to score four of them at our local book sale in the spring. You should have seen me practically jumping up and down at the table :lol: Check out Paperbackswap.com and put them on your wish list. I get so many books from there--we love that site!

Clearly you're not the only one, because I have no idea what we're even talking about! Could someone fill me in?

Here's the Wikipedia entry. Some of the tales are rather intense. My oldest was fine with them (she was an early reader and devoured them long ago), but I'd be surprised if my youngest (now 4) will be ready for any but the most gentle stories before 7 or 8.

For the decadent bibliophile, Easton Press has very recently added Andrew Lang's fairy books to their catalog:

http://www.eastonpressbooks.com/leather/product.asp?code=2014

Leather bound, gilt edging, ahhh..... :001_wub:

Years ago my mum got me the LOTR set and the Pooh set and I drool over that catalog when it comes, had not seen those though. I so wish I could get them for the girls. (sigh) maybe when they have dc.

I haven't read all the posts and don't know if this had already been shared, but it looks like Lang's entire collection of color fairy books are available here.

Librivox has some audiobooks, too... Blue Fairy Book, Yellow Fairy Book, Lilac Fairy Book; they're working on others, too.

We own 6 of them, and ds11 has really enjoyed 4 of them so far (blue, red, violet, orange).

HTH!