Menu

First grade math--not sure what to try.

lindsey

I've been reading math program reviews for days and still have no clue what to buy for my first grader. He's in PS kindergarten currently. They haven't really gotten past counting, drawing 10 frames, and counting up (intro to addition).

It was easy to choose for his brother because it seems BA would be a good fit for him, based on his skill level and interests. I'm just stuck on what to try for first grade. I feel like I'm going to have to just randomly choose one. But that's potentially an expensive mistake, of it's not the right choice for us. :P If I don't really know what kind of math learner my kiddo is, what do I pick?

Can't edit. He doesn't mind workbook stuff. I know they play with 10 frames at school but I don't know if he has much more experience with manipulatives. He sometimes grasps new concepts a little slower, but once he understands something he takes off with it. That's not all directly related to math, but just learning in general.

I think workbooks would be fine (he is indifferent, I like them bc I like organization). I remember, as a kid, using the shaped tiles and cubes that click together, but not during actual math lessons (just indoor recess! lol), so I'm not terribly experienced with manipulatives but also not opposed! I don't think I have a preference re: appearance, but maybe color would be nice so his isn't boring compared to brother's BA? That's not crucial though.

Thank you. I also just saw a thread about first grade. So many different maths listed! It is by far the hardest choice for me! Gah. I have everything else picked out.

I think it is for everyone. If you pick the wrong one you'll have time to correct it, so don't stress. :)
  • Like 1

I initially thought I'd go with MM for my 3rd grader, before deciding on BA. I heard it was a little 'busy' and wasn't sure if that would be hard for my 1st grader. I should try samples though! Singapore is one I know very little about. Anyone know if the manipulatives pack for Horizons (at Rainbow Resource) is necessary? Or coukd I build my own for less? ::shuffle::

Call his school/teacher and find out the name of the math curriculum that his school is using in the K class. Look it up online and decide if its an approach that you can keep, bridge from or should flee immediately upon homeschooling.

Personally, Math Mammoth is my favorite and I'm going to encourage you to print out the samples and use them with your child. Do NOT show your child multiple samples and ask him to pick the one that he likes if you think that he will experience the "grass over there is greener" effect in him at the first sign of trouble with whatever curriculum you guys wind up using.

• Like 2

They use Go Math. They do fine with it. I am honestly confused by it at times and wouldn't prefer to teach that way, but they do fine with it.

What is "that way" that you wouldn't prefer to teach? What do you find confusing about Go Math! that you do NOT want to replicate at home?

Answering these questions for yourself might help you steer clear of certain math programs at home.

Maybe it is normal in all programs, I just didn'tlearn it. But coloring 10 frames and dissecting every aspect of a problem, taking much longer and doing much more work than is necessary to solve a problem. My 2nd grader's homework seems so unnecessarily complicated at times--I know the goal is to help them with more difficult but similar concepts down the line.

Maybe it is normal in all programs, I just didn'tlearn it. But coloring 10 frames and dissecting every aspect of a problem, taking much longer and doing much more work than is necessary to solve a problem. My 2nd grader's homework seems so unnecessarily complicated at times--I know the goal is to help them with more difficult but similar concepts down the line.

I think that a mastery of base-10 number system and fluency in using place value is imperative.

But there is more than one way to achieve it.

I don't know what you mean by dissecting every aspect of a problem, but I know that there is a point of saturation after which it is just "over kill". In my opinion, exercises in basic arithmetic should not be used as a vehicle for critical thinking, problem solving etc... That should come from a seperate place and as mastery of basic arithmetic is gained, then you can begin meshing the two. Prior to having competency in arithmetic trying to stretch it for problem solving/critical thinking can back-fire. You will have to decide on what is the balance for you.

I love Math Mammoth. It is very thorough, yet it is to the point and challenging where appropriate. Math Mammoth also has a strong focus on math facts and mastery of place value. We used 1a-6b and would do it again in a heart beat.

You can trim Math Mammoth down if it is too incremental for you to the point of complicated busy work, but we didn't skip much if anything. I looked at all of it as a comprehensive program. Once you completed some topic through MM, you wouldn't need to study it again and you could apply it to bigger, better programs.

Without ever having used it, I think that Singapore Primary Mathematics has way too many moving parts, but it is more positive to look at it as "highly customizable"

• Like 3

I puffy-heart-love Miquon.  It is cheap ($35-45 for three grades, plus under $20 for a big bucket of Cuisenaire rods), simple to implement, you go at the student's speed, it leads the student to find out rather than tells.  I sniffled a little when Dd finished the last book and moved on to BA3.

If you do use it, you can't do it well without reading and periodically referencing the Lab Sheet Annotations.  We did the sheets in order. 

• Like 1

I've been reading math program reviews for days and still have no clue what to buy for my first grader. He's in PS kindergarten currently. They haven't really gotten past counting, drawing 10 frames, and counting up (intro to addition).

It was easy to choose for his brother because it seems BA would be a good fit for him, based on his skill level and interests. I'm just stuck on what to try for first grade. I feel like I'm going to have to just randomly choose one. But that's potentially an expensive mistake, of it's not the right choice for us. :p If I don't really know what kind of math learner my kiddo is, what do I pick?

Honestly, it just isn't always possible to know that you know that you know exactly what your dc will like or not like. You just have to make a choice. Some children have so many interests and skills and whatnot that you have to choose one thing which will be an anchor, leaving them free to do the other stuff. :-)

There are really only two categories: process math and traditional math. Process math is that which uses manipulatives;  primary Saxon levels, Miquon, MUS, and Making Math Meaningful would be examples. Traditional math is one which does not; it may use visuals, or an occasional activity which uses manipulatives of some kind, but it does not depend on them. BJUP, Rod and Staff, ABeka would be examples.

Do you think your ds needs to handle things to understand math concepts?  Or not?

For process math, I like Miquon, because I totally understand cuisenaire rods. :-) For traditional math, I big pink puffy heart Rod and Staff. And FTR, both are inexpensive, so if you buy it and find out one of you hates it, then you won't have thrown money down a black hole.

• Like 1

I absolutely adore RightStart, especially level B.  The games, the incremental, hands-on building of knowledge...  Both of my kids who went through it so far have an awesome grasp of fundamental math concepts.  ODS moved on to Beast with no trouble after level C; DD wasn't ready for "hard" yet, so she ended up on Singapore.  RS is pricey, though, especially if you buy the whole manipulatives kit and can't find used.

Math Mammoth was too visually overwhelming for my kids, even when I tried covering up some of the page like folks suggested.  (The font is pretty small and thus things are pretty packed together.)  The price sure is great, though, so if it works for you, have at it!

Singapore's Primary Mathematics books are the same method as Math Mammoth, just with more white space and some puzzles and cartoons inserted.  My workbook-y daughter loves them.  (And you don't have to get all the different books if you don't want to--you can start with just the workbook and textbook, or also get the Home Instructor Guide if you would like a walk-through of how to introduce concepts.)

• Like 2

I puffy-heart-love Miquon.  It is cheap ($35-45 for three grades, plus under $20 for a big bucket of Cuisenaire rods), simple to implement, you go at the student's speed, it leads the student to find out rather than tells.  I sniffled a little when Dd finished the last book and moved on to BA3.

If you do use it, you can't do it well without reading and periodically referencing the Lab Sheet Annotations.  We did the sheets in order. 

Do you use Miquon on its own, not as a supplement? Seemed in reviews it went both ways! 

Thanks sooo much everyone. This is helping me narrow things down, at least!! Easier to look at five than fifteen. 

• Like 1

My 1st grader has been using Miquon on its own and I like it. She will finish before 3rd grade (looks like) and I'll move her into BA, which her brother is using. I have also used MEP (good, thorough, cheap) and MM (complete, written to the student, cheap on-sale at Home School Buyer's Co-op) As you can see, I have a bit of an elementary math curriculum collection (blush)

• Like 1

I tried many math programs: Saxon, MM, Miquon, MEP and settled on Singapore... we ALL <3<3 it!! You could start with just the HIG and the textbook and work out the problems on a whiteboard or add in the workbook if you think he would like it. These can often be bought used on ebay or homeschoolclassifieds.com or amazon. (I use the standard edition and got most of mine from those sources.)

• Like 1

I am really intrigued by Miquon. I think I might start there!! For the rods, at RR there are a few packs. Is the 72 pack an okay number for one kiddo to use?

My son plays with them so there's no such thing as too many. I regret not getting the huge one from Amazon, but 72 is enough. Check out Education Unboxed for awesome videos. I highly recommend the "Getting To Know The Rods" activities. I use Ray's Arithmetic for mental math and oral drilling along with Miquon, but Miquon is a complete stand alone program.

• Like 1

Do you use Miquon on its own, not as a supplement? Seemed in reviews it went both ways! 

Thanks sooo much everyone. This is helping me narrow things down, at least!! Easier to look at five than fifteen. 

I added Singapore Standards after the fourth Miquon book, alongside it, because I wasn't sure what we were going to do next and I'm into curricula.  :)  I found that Miquon was conceptually well ahead of Singapore, but Singapore asked Dd to do more mental math and with larger numbers.  At the moment we are using Beast, but sometimes if Beast gets too overwhelming we do some Singapore to re-trench. 

I think for Ds (now 4), I will start him out for K-2 with Miquon alone. 

I think all math programs may require a supplement, if a kid needs more practice in one area, but Miquon does not necessarily need one unless something doesn't click right away.  How's that for a mushy answer? 

We are liking MM 1 and 2. It took a little while to find my groove for teaching and assigning it, but it's great now. I work alongside them at this age, so I can guide them through the pages. If I see that they have something down-pat, I reduce the number of problems.

I bought the download, which I really like. We have a very relaxed approach to Gr.1 math (my oldest didn't do any official math at all that year, just jumped into MM2A in 2nd grade), but my 6yo wanted 'real' math work, so I went through MM1 and selected pages from each topic to print. I'm just looking for exposure and I expand on some concepts with games, etc, which was the core of our Gr.1 math the last time.

Plus sides of MM - low investment, high adaptability, and great mental math.

Love CLE math for my first grader. I started using it with her after having great success with CLE Math with my fourth grader (after trying many different programs with him). I am thinking of adding in a little bit of Miquon or Montessori as a supplement, not because it's necessary but just to add a bit more fun factor. She can currently finish her CLE math lessons in under 5 minutes a day - she's quick!

I should add, I've used Singapore and used to be a die-hard fan but I'm not anymore. I'm holding on to the word question books to go through in the future, and I do like some of their intensive practice books - but I'm not a fan of it as a main curriculum. Some of the things I didn't like about it were the format of the teaching guide, the review was not enough, and it didn't cover enough. I find my kids can grasp concepts in Singapore very quickly but that doesn't mean it sticks or that they can apply it to new information as they progress.... the "drill and kill" of CLE is actually enjoyable to my kids. We don't do the speed drills but we do everything else and they are both really loving it and best of all everything they are learning is sticking!

Edited by strawberryjam

• 3 weeks later...

I know I'm late to this but you asked about Horizons and the maniuplatives.  I've never purchased any maniuplatives for math for K or 1 using Horizons.  Someone gave me a clock they used from some other math program and I bought some fun frog/turtle counters to make things more fun but it's not necessary at all.  We've done just fine without any manipulatives.  My daughter has just gotten the concepts without needing to look at objects.  

All that said, I'm contemplating switching from Horizons to Singapore, Rightstart or Math Mammoth.  Not because Horizons is bad, because it isn't.  But because I want to add in some more of the 'conceptual learning' and give my rising K'er a better foundation of numbers, how they relate, etc.  I chose Horizons originally because it was familiar to me, as it was the way I learned math and I just couldn't wrap my head around much of anything different at the time.  Now that I've had some time to teach math and better understand these other programs, I'm considering a switch.  But really, they're all good.  You can't exactly go wrong with any choice - it honestly depends on what works for your kids.  For me, starting with Horizons was a great choice, it's colorful, not too many problems in each set, etc.  So I'm not sure if switching to something that is B&W would end up being 'boring' in her eyes.  Ahh, the dilemma. :)

I have completely changed my outlook on math with my youngest. She is an older K'er this year and we have switched her over to Miquon. We are both loving it so far. I'm so glad I dived in and took the plunge. Based on what you say your K'er has learned this year, I think Miquon would be a great place to start. You do need an open mind with it since it's very different from other math programs.

• Like 1

My oldest went through Singapore Essentials A and B and then started in Singapore 1.  I loved it in theory, but in practice it was expensive and complicated.  HIG, texbook, workbook, intensive practice, challenging word problems, process skills...too many books and yet I didn't want to fully drop any of them.  When he finished 1b we switched to Math Mammoth and it has been perfect.

I love that Math Mammoth is fairly independent...that will be crucial for me in the years to come when I am juggling more and more kids.  Plus Math Mammoth is "free" for all the younger kids since I won't have to buy anything more.

I want to mention one thing about Beast Academy.  It is hard.  Like, really hard.  My son completed MM3 before he dipped his toe into BA3, and still he REALLY struggles with BA.  I have a Masters of Engineering from MIT and some of the BA3a problems make me think.  You might want to think a bit about what you will do if your son needs a break from BA.  My son chooses between MM and BA each day.  Even on the days he chooses BA, sometimes he works on it for 10 minutes and then decides to set it aside and finish the day with MM.

Wendy

Also, BA second grade is due out next year. If you think he'd like that you could do something like education unboxed for a year while you wait. Ray's Arithmetic is done orally and is free. MEP is also free and very popular.

I think it's wishful thinking that 2 will be ready by fall. They have been taking 6+ months per book and still have 5B, 5C, and 5D to finish. It would be great if they did have it ready, but I wouldn't count on it.

I don't know what will be best for your child in 1st, but my hands down #1 for 1st grade math is RS B. I have the older version, but I think it is soooooo great at foundational skills and concepts. It is teacher intensive, but really sets them up for future math success!! I switch to Singapore in 2nd and BA in 3rd. But my oldest did Singapore through 5 and then into AOPS preA.

We like and have used Singapore US Ed at that grade, too. There are many good programs. RS is not very workbook-ish, so Singapore, MM, or MEP might meet that criterion better.

Another MM lover here.  My middle daughter was not succeeding with it so we switched her to MUS which is not my favorite but is working for her.  I would not call the past 2 1/2 years that she has spent with MM a mistake or a waste, though.  She learned a great deal, but it was just taking her too long and causing too much frustration.  My other 2 dd's didn't/ don't have this issue with it.  I think dd2 just isn't "mathy" and needed something more procedural and less conceptual.  Like someone else said, try what you think you would teach best then make adjustments as necessary. 

We are halfway through first grade so I was in that spot this time last year. I went with CLE because so many people raved about it but looking back I wish I would have gone with something like RS. Math does not come easily to my daughter and we were ok until we got to adding and subtracting numbers higher than 9 or so. I stopped CLE and right now we are using Miquon with the C-rods. We both love it! I really wanted math to make sense to her, and Miquon really does that. It's so cheap, too. I know someone who used Miquon with all 4 of her sons up until 3rd grade math and they all did very well (they are adults now).

ETA: We do Miquon for about 20 mins then Xtramath.org for another 10 mins or for the "flashcard" math facts.

Edited by calihil

It's so interesting for me to read all these posts! I have a 6yo (1st grade) and a 5 yo (Kindergarten). Both went through Singapore Early Bird Math for Kindergarten. My 1st grader moved on to SM 1a and has recently hit a wall. He has not liked their method for adding numbers like 13+6 where they want you to make the 13 a 10 and the 6 a 9, then add 10 and 9 to get 19. He's not comfortable doing all the steps on his own. We had been supplementing with Miquon but I shelved it the last few months to keep up with the SM wkbk, txbk, Intensive Practice and Extra Practice. I think all of that was just taking the fun out of it for him. We've been taking a break and doing Miquon the last few weeks, and he's in love! He absolutely loves working with the rods.

I'm considering using Miquon as our primary math, but I'm glad to have the reassurance from those of you who have used it as your primary math. I'm not as sure in my methods for teaching it, but I love his comprehension and enthusiasm.

My 5yo will be finishing Early Bird soon and I think he'll enjoy using Miquon at least until 1st grade if not beyond.

Keep sharing tips and advice for using Miquon please ;)