Menu

Applying to college in junior year? Is it done?

clementine

Have any of you had your kids apply to college during their junior year?  Any drawbacks?  I know I'd have to supply updated transcripts once the year is done, but she's got her test scores, so we're not waiting on more than that.  

Advice?  Thank you!

Edited by clementine

Application typically ask for the date you plan to enter so I would be sure to check fall 2017.  Keep in mind that you may not receive a decision any earlier for applying during junior year.  Also, any financial aid and scholarship information would most likely be delayed until the following year as well since that is considered by entry date and they would still be working on the previous year.

As far as getting her name in the system--if she visits the school, fills out a paper or online interest questionnaire or sends them test scores she will have her name in their system.  Keep in mind that having an application in or a having your interest filled or even being accepted isn't the same as being an enrolled student.  

• Like 1

I called and they said 'it probably won't make a difference if she applied early, but you could wait'. Hmmmm, that didn't make it super clear cut, so I thought I'd ask here.

Rule #1 is that the student should be calling admissions, not you. (Unless it's about financial aid or preparing a transcript or other issues a student wouldn't be expected to deal with directly.) When can I apply is definitely a student's job to ask. If you get labeled as a pushy parent, your child may not be admitted.

Why does her name need to get into their system? Are you literally just trying to get her name in, or do you expect an admissions decision as well? If the college follows rolling admissions, they can consider the app and give you a decision as soon as the app season starts. However, if they are a selective school, there will be decision plans and notification dates that they will not change without a truly exceptional reason. Admissions calendars are generally school-specific.

Edited by JanetC

Rule #1 is that the student should be calling admissions, not you. (Unless it's about financial aid or preparing a transcript or other issues a student wouldn't be expected to deal with directly.) When can I apply is definitely a student's job to ask. If you get labeled as a pushy parent, your child may not be admitted.

Why does her name need to get into their system? Are you literally just trying to get her name in, or do you expect an admissions decision as well? If the college follows rolling admissions, they can consider the app and give you a decision as soon as the app season starts. However, if they are a selective school, there will be decision plans and notification dates that they will not change without a truly exceptional reason. Admissions calendars are generally school-specific.

When I called it was to ask a generic question - no names, no details - I would never jeopardize my child's chances at getting into a college.  

We don't expect a decision and know that one will not be made early.  I am not asking them to change dates of acceptance or notification.  

I was simply asking a question about whether or not people here have had their student apply to a college in their junior year.  

I highly doubt that any college has its admissions system set up to handle applications that are not for the following year, but for two years later - they'd need a computer system equipped to store application files for an extra year. Seems very unlikely.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

Not sure what schools you are looking at, but it would be unusual for applications for 2017-18 to be open so early. The Common App is cleared over the summer, and reopens for the year on August 1.

The real reason to take your time though is essays. Definitely don't want to rush those.  Also, your student will likely have additional awards, accomplishments, leadership opportunities between now and the fall.

Edited by Gr8lander

Not sure what schools you are looking at, but it would be unusual for applications for 2017-18 to be open so early. The Common App is cleared over the summer, and reopens for the year on August 1.

The real reason to take your time though is essays. Definitely don't want to rush those.

And you don't need to log in to Common App to see the essay prompts.  Begin searching for the essay topics in late spring/early summer.  They will come up on their website as information-no log in required.  Lots of other websites share this info around the same time.

I am not seeing any advantage to doing that. I guess it is an extreme form of "demonstrated interest" ????

Having dealt with getting all of our documents and requirements sent and received by admissions offices this year, I think I would hesitate to present the extra layer of administrative challenge that would come from the confusion of applying early. Hard enough to get some of the schools to acknowledge receipt of test scores and LOR even when nothing was out of the ordinary.

But I am not seeing any advantage. I like to get things done early it you could pull it all together without actually submitting.

• Like 1

It would be impossible at any school we've looked at, as applications don't open that early. And you can't apply for next year's admission with this year's application, as most schools change their applications in at least small ways from year to year.

There are schools which allow students to skip their senior year and go straight to college through early admissions. Carnegie-Mellon has a well-know program, as do other selective schools. I think any school with a program like that would think you were applying for early admission.

If you want to get your name on their radar, there are other ways. Have the students take the PSAT and score well; they get lists of National Merit Semi-Finalists. Visit the college or attend admissions information events. I would first find out whether the school even tracks demonstrated interest, though. Some schools consider attending one of their summer programs a sign of interest as well.

• Like 3

I do think it would be fine to go ahead and send test scores if you wish, especially if the college list is already firm. This is a great time to do college visits, so if you are in a position to do that, I say go for it! Once essay topics are available, your student could start working on those, which gives plenty of time for revisiting and editing.

I'd put together an education resume now, with an organized format for honors/awards, volunteer work, athletics, music, etc. This can be edited as new accomplishments arise. I can't tell you how many times we have referenced that resume as yet another application (for honors colleges, scholarships, etc) arises.

Now, I do think there can be advantage to applying early for rolling admissions schools, but I think even then August is probably a good time frame to begin.

• Like 2

I will add that if you can fill out as many applications/common app and work on essays over the summer that filing early action or at the beginning of the cycle makes senior year easier.  I've watched many students, both homeschool and b&m schools, struggle with finding time during senior year to complete applications.  This often results in frustration over winter break as they work on applications. Also, it is nice to begin hearing back from colleges during first semester.  This strategy would also give time during the year to focus on scholarship and honors college applications if desired.

• Like 2

Another possibility is that they may consider you applying for DE or Non-degree status, and you'd have to reapply for actual admissions once the application season opens. Both of the local colleges here seem to consider applications before senior year to be for DE, even if you do the full application vs the shorter DE app.

I do think it would be fine to go ahead and send test scores if you wish, especially if the college list is already firm. This is a great time to do college visits, so if you are in a position to do that, I say go for it! Once essay topics are available, your student could start working on those, which gives plenty of time for revisiting and editing.

I agree, this is time for college visits. I would NOT send test scores. Admissions is setup to work one year at a time. No college we've worked with would accept an application sooner than late summer a year before the start date. If you send scores prior to having an open application, they will likely be deleted before your application is accepted.

I did look up the essay prompts for my kids so they could work on essays early. Fall of senior year is such a busy time, it helped to have them at least drafted early.

ETA: I stand corrected. Of course everyone is correct, test scores start getting sent Jr. year. I wasn't even thinking about the auto send scores, but of course many, maybe most people use those! Sorry.

Edited by Momto2Ns

I agree, this is time for college visits. I would NOT send test scores..

Many kids take their tests in spring of junior year and send test scores (at least the freebie ones included in the test fee). It is not generally a problem. You indicate at registration what year in high school you are.

• Like 1

Many kids take their tests in spring of junior year and send test scores (at least the freebie ones included in the test fee). It is not generally a problem. You indicate at registration what year in high school you are.

Not a problem at any college dc have applied to, which runs the full range of schools. State tests in many areas (which include the SAT or ACT) are given in the spring of junior year, so it is very common to send scores early.

• Like 1

My dd used the free score reports on her May junior year SAT test.  The schools opened an "account/file" for her for the following year.  She submitted applications in Oct of senior year for EA and they were able to retrieve those scores from their records with no problems.  She has since been admitted to these schools so we do know that it worked (admittedly all were smaller LACs not big state universities).

• Like 2

I agree, this is time for college visits. I would NOT send test scores. Admissions is setup to work one year at a time. No college we've worked with would accept an application sooner than late summer a year before the start date. If you send scores prior to having an open application, they will likely be deleted before your application is accepted.

I did look up the essay prompts for my kids so they could work on essays early. Fall of senior year is such a busy time, it helped to have them at least drafted early.

FWIW, we sent test scores to a large number of schools before the app opened (some because they were free, others just because I was already on the site sending scores, lol). No deleting of scores, they were all there the next year. :-) I was actually glad we had done that when I observed the panic of people this year trying to get scores sent in the month or two before the deadlines, and having them delayed or simply not arriving. The College Board is so dysfunctional, and a task that seems simple enough sometimes just doesn't get done by them.

• Like 2