Menu

Car camping sleeping pad recs...

bettyandbob

For wimpy old woman.

I've been using an air mattress. However, I need to replace the air mattress. Since I can't always get a site with electric (helpful to pump up air mattress), I'm looking at sleeping pads. I have one or two teens with me, do I need three the same.

I need to be able to sleep two or three nights in a row in a typical car camping site at state parks. As I said, I've been used to using big (at least 6") air mattresses. We've been pushing two twin size together to fit in a 4 man tent. 3 pads should take up less space, but will my back hurt?

So what's the best you've used.

You might try a Thermarest pad. I think the thickest pad is the Camprest, but I could be wrong on the name. If you go with a self inflating pad, you will need one for each person as they are much more narrow than a twin size air mattress. You should be able to fit 3 Thermarest pads in a "4 person" tent, but I doubt that 3 cots will fit. The self-inflating pads are also rather expensive.

To be honest, I found that a standard air mattress is more comfortable that even the most expensive Thermarest pad. If you can get to an REI store, they have a place where you can test out the different pads to see which you like better.

• Like 1

I would stick with an air mattress. Get a converter so your car can pump up the mattress! Twin size is plenty for me, and I'm not small. Otoh...I used to keep a large dog bed in the back of the van. It was one of those rectangular foam ones that is about 4 inches thick. I slept like a baby on that thing! They take up a lot of space...but you can pack on top of them.

• Like 3

I second getting the car converter for the airpump. 

If you don't want to do that, I would get one of the memory foam mattress toppers in twin size (for you ) or full (for a couple).  They are heavy and I definitely wouldn't use it for anything other than car camping.  Kohl's usually has them on sale two or three times a year.  Our local Target had a couple of Twin XL on clearance in the college section.

HTH

• Like 1

Dh and I have used Thermarest pads for about thirty years. Recently, we thought we had lost the bag of pads and went and bought two new pads from REI: the Luxury Map.   I thought my old backpacking pad was good, but these babies are amazing.  I have actually pulled mine out at home and slept on the floor if I am having a really bad night.  Good pads are what keep dh and I still camping even after the half century mark when many of our friends have given up. Our youngest uses them for backpacking and travel for regattas or scuba diving. Way easier than an air mattress and takes up less space.

• Like 1

Dh and I have used Thermarest pads for about thirty years. Recently, we thought we had lost the bag of pads and went and bought two new pads from REI: the Luxury Map.   I thought my old backpacking pad was good, but these babies are amazing.  I have actually pulled mine out at home and slept on the floor if I am having a really bad night.  Good pads are what keep dh and I still camping even after the half century mark when many of our friends have given up. Our youngest uses them for backpacking and travel for regattas or scuba diving. Way easier than an air mattress and takes up less space.

ETA - I have back and hip issues.  In October, we pulled into a campground that was basically a gravel lot, but I slept like a baby.

I much prefer the self-inflating car camping pads to air mattresses. I got one from llbean years ago and sleep very well. Cons - they don't pack small, they are expensive, and they aren't as wide. Pros - no pump needed, warmer, more comfortable, longer-lasting, and they don't deflate during the night.

• Like 1

oh god, I HATE air mattresses.

we got those self inflating pads from Bean.  They are So Much better than an air mattress.  They also roll up into almost nothing, so very easy to bring along.

My one regret is that we didn't splurge and get the really thick ones from Bean. We got the standard ones, but they had one model that was very thick. They had it displayed with golf balls under it and you could not feel them when you lay down on the mat.  I wish we had coughed up the extra money and got those. But the ones we have are actually fine.

My BIL has a double self inflating pad, it is the size of a double bed. He and his wife used two sleeping bags zipped up together with the double pad when they went camping together.  I thought that looked really nice.  His wife has a very bad back, and the pad was sufficient for her.

A cot. Provided you are not camping IN your car. We camp out of our van with 2 kids and we LOVE our cots!

Yes! We bought DS1 a cot for boy scout camp and I have claimed it as Mom's bed whenever we camp.  It really is much better IMHO.  We bought this one by Coleman.  I want to say I paid just under $60 for it.