Menu

Anyone use AAS with only TM?

nena3927

I tried AAS over the summer and gave up after about two months due to the intensiveness and severe morning sickness associated with my fourth pregnancy. We are currently using Spelling You See and I do really like it but was wondering if anyone here used just the TM with AAS? My daughter took off reading without learning any rules and I'm not sure if I should use a rule based spelling program with her. Opinions? Could AAS be effective with just the TM and a notebook? Thanks!

I'm on level 2 with my 3rd grader, and I'd have to say that Yes, you could use only the TM to show you what to teach. It would take a little more prep work from you, the teacher, to find alternatives to the "flashcards". Meaning, to just write things down in the notebook. And the magnetic letters really are superfluous, I started without them because a friend mentioned she had them but didn't use them once she really got going. But I found that my boys love using them, so got a version of them. But the real meat-what to teach and do, is all in the TM. 

Yes, this is how we used most of level 1 and all of level 2. We abandoned the program after that as it was still too much for a kid that has phonics pretty well down. If we need spelling in the future, I now have a copy of How to Teach Spelling on the shelf - it's a lot like a very straightforward version of AAS for a lot less money.

I use it pretty much with just the TM from about midway through level 1 on up (so far, halfway through level 5).

I don't really see much value in flash card drills with spelling words, unless we're talking about rule breakers and/or particularly difficult words. They're supposed to be learning how to spell words that follow the particular pattern of a given lesson.

That said, they have a spelling test at the end of each week, using the words. They have dictation as part of that test. They do the writing station. Certain parts of the student packet, such as the silent e book, I use that. But otherwise, pretty much is just the TM.

Yes, definitely. It was too much for me to keep up with the tiles when using it with my oldest as my youngest was a spaz toddler who was into every.thing! Dd1 didn't really seem to enjoy or learn from the use of the tiles so after the theirs book I just broke out a whiteboard, used different colored markers to illustrate different phonograms and it worked very well. Both my kids were early readers who went through OPG quickly, so for me, using a phonetic spelling program was important to ensure that everything was solid.

Oh, and I didn't even break out the tiles or other stuff at all for my little dd when beginning AAS and she's now in the the 4th book and doing fine with the whiteboard. Just to show you that it can still be taught from square one with just the TM and go well.

HTH!

Yes, this is how we use the program.   I *just* use the teachers manual....and an app on my ipad called "spelling whiteboard".   (I use that to teach the new lessons.)   The kids also keep a composition notebook for spelling that we use for new words, review, and daily dictation.  

We do not (and never have) used the word cards to drill.   I review through dictation and keep track of any words that they struggle with in their composition notebook.   They keep a customized spelling list in those books.   Then I have them study those words and  'quiz' them on those words daily until they have them mastered.  

We do review the spelling key cards and sound cards.   However, I have loaded those into ANKI.   We use ANKI for all of our memory work (not just grammar) and review all of our memory work daily for 10 minutes.   ANKI keeps track of what they need to review so I don't have to review everything everyday.  

• Like 1

I've used AAS levels 2-5 with just the teacher's manual for me and a notebook for DD.

DD needs lots of review on the words, so I use Anki to keep track of review words.

It would be too hard to keep track of which words she needs to review without it,

as she really needs that periodic review. For DD, I often find that she has forgotten how to spell

a word that she learned long ago.

I wouldn't use the other flashcards, even if I had them.

DD has a hard time applying the rules, so I don't make her memorize or review the rules.

DD also is more of a visual learner than auditory so I don't drill her on phonogram sounds.

I use the tiles as per the TMs. The flash cards not as much, but I do use them. I have a child who very much enjoys them, and for whom writing is sometimes taxing. If your child is one who likes to write, no, you don't need more than the TM. But for some kids, they are welcomed. My DS loves the lessons with the tiles. Writing the sentences, not so much.

So I think it depends on what kind of learner you have.

Edited by ikslo

My kid is a fairly good speller but he loooves playing with the tiles, so I use those.  I tried using flash cards with AAS1 but then realized that they pretty much had the same thing in TM.   I haven't touched flash cards since.

Knowing what I know now, I should have just gotten tiles and TM.  You live you learn and hopefully spend less money :)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my gosh! You don't have to use the tiles? You don't have to use the cards? What a load off my shoulders. We've gotten through level 1 and a little of level 2 but have really lost momentum due to the tedium of setting up those dang tiles each time (I simply do not have the wall space in our school area for a magnetic board to keep them on) and the fact that my DS doesn't like the tiles at all.

So I guess that to do it without the tiles, you would just write the phonogram each time the TM says to point to it, and if it says to build this word or that word we would just write it. Right?

Maybe we can do AAS after all. I had gotten to the point that it was the dreaded thing that was put off till the end of each day and often just didn't get done.

Oh my gosh! You don't have to use the tiles? You don't have to use the cards? What a load off my shoulders. We've gotten through level 1 and a little of level 2 but have really lost momentum due to the tedium of setting up those dang tiles each time (I simply do not have the wall space in our school area for a magnetic board to keep them on) and the fact that my DS doesn't like the tiles at all.

So I guess that to do it without the tiles, you would just write the phonogram each time the TM says to point to it, and if it says to build this word or that word we would just write it. Right?

Maybe we can do AAS after all. I had gotten to the point that it was the dreaded thing that was put off till the end of each day and often just didn't get done.

If you want to do the tiles there are other ways... I made a file-folder office and added magnet strips for the tile locations, and the Jail is also taped on it. There is a clear working area. It lies flat in front of the student and the can grab tiles. I sit across from the student and often put tiles back to speed it up. After it all folds closed and is about the size of a file folder. I keep it with the book in a pouch.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

No, you don't have to :-). See this FAQ about not using tiles.

Thank you! DS and I have resumed our AAS routine in the past few days sans tiles, and it's no longer the tedium that we had both come to dread! :) (And I get it that for some parents and kids, the tiles are what makes it fun. More power to them, but I am glad that they aren't required!)

If you want to do the tiles there are other ways... I made a file-folder office and added magnet strips for the tile locations, and the Jail is also taped on it. There is a clear working area. It lies flat in front of the student and the can grab tiles. I sit across from the student and often put tiles back to speed it up. After it all folds closed and is about the size of a file folder. I keep it with the book in a pouch.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Oh that's a good idea! I may eventually try the tiles again using this method, or try it with DS3 when the time comes. Who knows, maybe he will be a tile lover.