Menu

?'so about teenage depression;what next

muttmomma

I have a flown year old son who had been suffering from depression for over a year. It runs in the family. I have it and have kept my eye on my kids because of this.

He had been on lexapro 20mg for the months with little to no improvement. This apologised me because this is what I take, and it is literally a life saver.

I guess my question would be... What medication to try next. Does anyone know of certain ones that work better for young men?

He has been to therapy several times in his young life. It can help some, but he just appears to have gotten stuck with the depression gene :-(

It HAS been one of the toughest years or family had had, also.

Thanks, muttmomma

Time for a follow up with the doctor.   Your son's doctor knows his personal health history and is the only person who can safely diagnose and prescribe appropriate medicine for you son.  The doctor can change his dose of the one medication, add a second medication, or switch medications all together.  Different situations warrant different results.

Edited by Tap

Has the doctor run blood work tests to check for thyroid problems, anemia, Vit B & D levels, etc? If not ask them for that.

Are you seeing a psychiatrist that specializes in teenagers? If not, I would search one out.

In addition to the meds, does he get 20-30 minutes of exercise a day, ideally outside? Omega 3s can also be helpful. A diet higher in protein and lower in refined carbs is good. Have you tried one of those lights for seasonal affective disorder? I saw some research on those helping all types of depression.

I would be calling the doctor for a follow up anded adjustment and then working on the other stuff.

• Like 1

I would look for a doctors advice, and not any doctor, but a psychiatrist who works with teens.

THat being said, I would be loathe to put a teen on those kinds of meds unless I had tried every other possibility.  There is a real tendency for doctors to quite casually prescribe anti-depressives without really considering the trade-offs.

Yes. This. Thank you. It is hard to remember how important it is to MAKE him exercise. He can't outside do to asthma, but we have an exercise bike indoors he can use. I still have a happy light. He hates it due to the brightness, but then again, he forget really like anything right now.

He does have have vitamin d deficiency and I give him 2000 my. He has low ferritin levels.

We just got insurance after five months without, so we will get him to a doctor asap.

Thanks.

Sounds like a good plan. Can he peddle while.watching g TV, listening to music, etc? Maybe use the light while he does homework or even while peddling.

Not a substitute for proper medical care but sometimes these extras can really help and are just good healthy lifestyle choices.

In my experience with me and my kids, it takes 2 or 3 different medications to find one that works. For some bizarre reason, the first couple we have tried do nothing. Talk to his doctor about how it isn't working and ask what else can you try. If your doctor won't listen to you, consider finding a new doctor.