Menu

s/o what do weighted blankets do - specifically for adults?

SKL

They provide a deep pressure touch, like a hug, that people find to be relaxing.

Oh yes.  I never connected the two, but I need a good weight of blankets on me to sleep at night, summer or winter.  I can't sleep with just a sheet.  I need that "weight," and the more the better (within reason, of course).

• Like 4

...but I need a good weight of blankets on me to sleep at night, summer or winter.  I can't sleep with just a sheet.  I need that "weight," and the more the better (within reason, of course).

I am the same. I can take a nap with just a lightweight blanket, but at night I like a pile of them. Of course, then I need a cold room to keep from overheating.

• Like 2

They provide sensory feedback for those who are sensory-seeking, too, adult or not.

You can make your own by hemming a channel around the edge of a blanket and filling with rice or sand. Let it hang over the bed and it will weigh it down. I don't really like this method, though, because I turn my blanket over my shoulder when I sleep on my side. It just makes it feel tighter. Here's another way.

Edited by Chris in VA

Oh yes. I never connected the two, but I need a good weight of blankets on me to sleep at night, summer or winter. I can't sleep with just a sheet. I need that "weight," and the more the better (within reason, of course).

Me, too! Just so long as I can stick my feet out somewhere.

• Like 3

I made one for DD. I found a good deal for poly beads on amazon and let her pick the fabric. It wasn't too hard (tedious more than anything) and I did it for a fraction of what they cost most places. I think I was in about $30-35 IIRC and it's a good size and weight. I made her a weighted lap pad, too, for if she needs extra help sitting for a few minutes.

I want to make one for myself next. I also need a lot of blankets piled up on me in order to sleep, but this often gets too hot. My needs are more sensory, but I could see it helping with anxiety, too.

• Like 1

Korea. Mink blankets. Ours was a gift from a sib in the military, but importers have them. The quality ones last decades.

Yes! I forgot about that option. They are not quite as heavy as the pellet-filled blankets, but are much cheaper. Here's a site that lists weights for several brands. I have a Solaron from Amazon and have been happy with the quality and washability.