Menu

What are some "essay prompts" that colleges ask for?

Hot Lava Mama

I am trying to get a general understanding of topics that colleges use for essay topics.  I know the specific question will depend on the college, but I was wondering if they are similar concepts, ie: what kind of "hardships" have you overcome?  What do we do if DS is just a regular kind of guy with no serious hardships.  He just works hard and gets good grades?  Is he destined to only lower rung colleges because he hasn't undergone some major tragedy in his life?  I ask this because any essay response that I have seen in the news is about some major hardship the person has overcome.  What about just plain-vanilla types of kids that have just had a normal life?  

Hot Lava Mama

• Like 1

Overcoming a problem is definitely popular, as is writing about a significant person in your life. Depending on his major, he may need to write essays on that topic (seems very common for engineering, which is my daughter's focus.) And the ubiquitous "Why This School?", of course.

I do think that there are some admissions offices that relish having an ability to pick students who have overcome some significant hardship. I'm not sure if there is quantifiable evidence that this sort of student excels in college or if the adcoms just like being able to right some wrongs.

I know that my son struggled with this sort of question because he realizes that other people have much harder existences than he does.  Most of the discussion of the two cross country moves in 10 months and the way he kept academics up during that period came as part of my counselor package, because he didn't want to dwell on it in his essays.  His Common App essay describes a particular experience he had during an open ocean swim.  It's a memorable essay that does a good job of conveying his personality.  

This year's common app prompts are:

• Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
  • The lessons we take from failure can be fundamental to later success. Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
  • Reflect on a time when you challenged a belief or idea. What prompted you to act? Would you make the same decision again?
  • Describe a problem you’ve solved or a problem you’d like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a research query, an ethical dilemma-anything that is of personal importance, no matter the scale. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution.
  • Discuss an accomplishment or event, formal or informal, that marked your transition from childhood to adulthood within your culture, community, or family.

"Vanilla" kids can use the essay to talk about whatever they want the college to know that doesn't go anywhere else on the application, or to expand on something that is mentioned elsewhere, like what you got out of a particular extracurricular, or your experience with travel, etc.  Homeschoolers usually have a LOT of things they can talk about that will help them to stand out among the other applicants.  

Remember that for college apps, like grant applications and political interviews/debates, you can start by writing a list of things you want the college to know, then figure out where each item fits within the framework of the application questions.  If there's something you want them to know that doesn't fit elsewhere, then it might be a good essay topic.

I do think that there are some admissions offices that relish having an ability to pick students who have overcome some significant hardship. I'm not sure if there is quantifiable evidence that this sort of student excels in college or if the adcoms just like being able to right some wrongs.

When dd attended an award event, I sat with an admissions counselor at a very selective school, and he was telling me they want some proof that a student will not crack at their first setback, that they haven't had an easy road through a wonderful school and no problems. I didn't really get it until dd went to college, and she has seen several students crack. Perfect background, perfect applicants, but no ability to deal when something (romantic break up, bad grade, etc.) didn't go right. 

Oh, and in addition to the other answers... If a student applies for an engineering college or department, they will likely get a question about what makes them want to do that, how they have pursued their interest so far, etc.

A common prompt is to have the school name a particular program they have and ask how an aspect of it will relate to your studies or how you would benefit from it.

Another option is to use a quote from a famous alum and springboard an essay from it. 

There are also questions that pertain to community service and volunteer work.

• 3 weeks later...

This year's common app prompts are:

• Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
  • The lessons we take from failure can be fundamental to later success. Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
  • Reflect on a time when you challenged a belief or idea. What prompted you to act? Would you make the same decision again?
  • Describe a problem you’ve solved or a problem you’d like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a research query, an ethical dilemma-anything that is of personal importance, no matter the scale. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution.
  • Discuss an accomplishment or event, formal or informal, that marked your transition from childhood to adulthood within your culture, community, or family.

So, does a student choose one of these prompts?  Or are students expected to write a total of 5 essays?  

So, does a student choose one of these prompts?  Or are students expected to write a total of 5 essays?  

Just one of them.  Each school may (or may not) also have a supplemental part to the app, which typically asks short answer questions (200 words, or even just one or two sentences) that apply to the specific school and/or the intended major.

• Like 1

Just one of them.  Each school may (or may not) also have a supplemental part to the app, which typically asks short answer questions (200 words, or even just one or two sentences) that apply to the specific school and/or the intended major.

So it sounds like college apps aren't all that different from when I applied in the 80s?  I remember just having 1 main "Tell us about you" essay and 1 short answer about an extracurricular or job or sport or something.  

So, generally to apply to a college, you write just one essay and maybe a short answer or two?  

So, generally to apply to a college, you write just one essay and maybe a short answer or two?  

Unless you are applying to a school that needs to split hairs among a very qualified pool (i.e. lottery schools), then expect more hoops in the writing supplement.

• Like 1

So it sounds like college apps aren't all that different from when I applied in the 80s?  I remember just having 1 main "Tell us about you" essay and 1 short answer about an extracurricular or job or sport or something.  

Well, basically.  If you apply to more than one school, if they all take the Common App, then you'll likely do the one big essay and then a few short answers for each school - typically of the "Why this school?"  or "Why this major?" variety, perhaps with a few other variations.  You might want to take a look at the Common App or read a few articles about it.  (Two of the three schools one of my children is looking at don't take the CA, so we're doing it more old-school this time around, but that's unusual.)

If you're going for something arty or skill/performance-based, then there may be a portfolio and/or audition.  If you are applying to an honors program, there might be another essay.  Super-competitive schools probably include an interview with an alum.

The harder it is to get into the school, the more hoops there may be.

Start the apps summer before senior year, so you understand the scope of the job ahead of you and can pace yourself accordingly.  Ideally, have a list of colleges narrowed down before then.

• Like 1