Menu

Moms of athletes: talk to me about NCAA requirements

Reading the boards, I have occasionally seen mention of the NCAA and that they must approve of high school curriculum. Since having a student athlete was not on my radar, I did not pay any attention.... until now, that DS has expressed an interest in continuing his sport (Judo) at college.

Talk to me slowly, please. What does that entail for my high school curriculum? He is a junior, so choices have been made already... are we screwed? Does every student who wants to play a sport at college have to adhere to these requirements? Or only certain sports? Or only if scholarships are involved?

Help me out, feeling slightly panicky.

• Like 1

Reading the boards, I have occasionally seen mention of the NCAA and that they must approve of high school curriculum. Since having a student athlete was not on my radar, I did not pay any attention.... until now, that DS has expressed an interest in continuing his sport (Judo) at college.

Talk to me slowly, please. What does that entail for my high school curriculum? He is a junior, so choices have been made already... are we screwed? Does every student who wants to play a sport at college have to adhere to these requirements? Or only certain sports? Or only if scholarships are involved?

Help me out, feeling slightly panicky.

I don't think Judo is an NCAA sport. That is going to be the first question to get answered.

NCAA is capricious. They can change things mid-stream and do. 

If you are interested in NCAA, it is best to establish a relationship with them early on. Follow their regulations; even if you do, they might change them. 

You do not have to win an NCAA scholarship to compete in college.

https://www.scholarships.com/financial-aid/college-scholarships/sports-scholarships/martial-arts-scholarships/

http://www.ncaa.org/

Nope, you are not screwed.  We learned of the NCAA in junior year too.   :)  I never imagined having to have someone approve our choices, but did panic once I realized it.  We were fine & have a freshman in a college sport.  

You only need to worry about it if the college of choice is Division I or II.  

Find that out first, then start preparing your paperwork once you know for sure that you need to.

Edited:  It looks like Judo is not an NCAA sport, so you may not have to worry about it at all!!!  That would be a relief!

Edited by clementine

• 1 month later...

My daughter is an ice hockey goalie and plays for the washington Pride.  She is in 8th grade and is our only child.  I have never navigated preparing a transcript for college let alone one that meets the NCAA Div. I standards.  Is there anyone who has done this? I have felt confident homeschooling our daughter up to this point but am now fretting that I will not do something correctly and it will cost her going to a college she wants to or missing out on a scholarship.  My daughter attends Classical Cottage School and I'm unsure how to even translate some of those classes to what is recognizable to colleges.  For instance Omnibus, some say just call this Honors English 9.  Others say pull the literature piece out and call it English 9 (not honors) and then categorize the literature part into American Literature, etc...  Is there a benefit to separating it out like this?  For NCAA Div. I you are also required to write descriptions for all core classes taken in H.S.  I'm just feeling overwhelmed.  I've already made one error.  This year my daughter wanted to take an AP Computer Science Class.  I checked with HSLDA and they said no problem and that it would look great on her transcript.  In Dec. while I was searching for other AP classes for her to take I came across a link on the HSLDA website that took me to the college board site where I found out that any AP class taken prior to the 9th grade cannot be listed on a transcript as an AP class, UGH!!!  I was further told that once the AP test score is released, it will be wiped off of her record as they only keep H.S. scores.  I do not want to make any other errors like this so I am now second guessing my ability to homeschool through H.S.  HELP!!!!

#NCAA  #HighSchoolTranscript

Edited by mypreach

• 2 months later...

I too have a question.  My DD's sport, Equestrian, is an "emerging" sport with NCAA. It is currently governed by NCEA and they adhere strictly to NCAA guidelines and qualifications.  Because she wants to pursue a Div 1 team, I have been planning to treat her High School years to meet all NCAA guidelines.  

I have been using Sonlight and Apologia and it has recently occurred to me that since these are considered Christian Educational Material, it may not be accepted.  Now I'm wondering if I should look at changing her textbooks to fully secular or at a minimum adding secular textbooks to our resources.  Sonlight has worked VERY well for us thus far and I don't really want to change it. Unfortunately at this juncture BookShark doesn't go through high school.  

...My daughter attends Classical Cottage School and I'm unsure how to even translate some of those classes to what is recognizable to colleges….

I use the Abeka book tradition (non video) program. I just buy the books and teach my son myself. Will the NCAA approve all four years of h.s. or should I enroll in Abeka Academy accredited and give the NCAA the transcript from the academy

...I have been using Sonlight and Apologia and it has recently occurred to me that since these are considered Christian Educational Material, it may not be accepted.  Now I'm wondering if I should look at changing her textbooks to fully secular or at a minimum adding secular textbooks to our resources...

For each and every individual, you need to check with NCAA and what are the approved texts and approved outsourced class providers. And yes, there's a good chance you will have to make a hard choice here -- homeschool high school with your preferred materials and forego college sports participation at Division I/II level, or switch to your second tier choice of materials in order to be NCAA eligible for college sports (which also can open doors to college admissions and scholarships).

From what others on these boards with students in sports have posted in the past, you absolutely need to find this out ASAP, because you may need to re-do a credit with approved materials / course provider. Better to find that out sooner than later, and have time to switch, or even re-do if necessary.

Some starting points -- and do realize NCAA very frequently CHANGES their mind!

"NCAA approved text list" -- past thread on WTM

"Athletes/NCAA eligibility/online classes?" -- past thread on WTM

"NCAA not accepting K12 courses" -- past thread on WTM

"NCAA follow-up" -- past thread on WTM about creating own courses and online course providers

Homeschool Success website: NCAA Eligibility for Homeschoolers -- article

NCAA website -- Homeschool Students article, with general guidelines on coursework

BEST of luck to all who are homeschooling and heading towards NCAA college sports! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Not academic related, but if your child gets a concussion, during high school, keep all the paperwork associated with it as you may need it to submit the paperwork from the concussion with the physical. It is rather a pain to backtrack and get the paperwork, so do yourself a favor and keep it handy!

I too have a question.  My DD's sport, Equestrian, is an "emerging" sport with NCAA. It is currently governed by NCEA and they adhere strictly to NCAA guidelines and qualifications.  Because she wants to pursue a Div 1 team, I have been planning to treat her High School years to meet all NCAA guidelines.  

I have been using Sonlight and Apologia and it has recently occurred to me that since these are considered Christian Educational Material, it may not be accepted.  Now I'm wondering if I should look at changing her textbooks to fully secular or at a minimum adding secular textbooks to our resources.  Sonlight has worked VERY well for us thus far and I don't really want to change it. Unfortunately at this juncture BookShark doesn't go through high school.  

The NCAA (as of this year) is primarily concerned that the texts used are absolutely HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL OR ABOVE. Assuming that all of your main texts are at that level, If you happened to use any below-high-school texts, workbooks, or literature as supplements along the way... leave those OFF of your course text listings.

This didn't come up for us, specifically (I think we had only Apologia as a supplement alongside a secular Biology book), so I can't give firsthand knowledge directly... but the Christian-nature of the texts shouldn't phase NCAA - but some universities might balk at the content of the texts. Those universities will usually spell it out pretty clearly in their homeschooling requirements admissions page on their website - and they are all very different about how they approach the issue.

Always important to note that the NCAA changes things regularly. So check, double-check, triple-check again and again as you go through the years!!!!!

• Like 1

...  I've already made one error.  This year my daughter wanted to take an AP Computer Science Class.  I checked with HSLDA and they said no problem and that it would look great on her transcript.  In Dec. while I was searching for other AP classes for her to take I came across a link on the HSLDA website that took me to the college board site where I found out that any AP class taken prior to the 9th grade cannot be listed on a transcript as an AP class, UGH!!!  I was further told that once the AP test score is released, it will be wiped off of her record as they only keep H.S. scores.  I do not want to make any other errors like this so I am now second guessing my ability to homeschool through H.S.  HELP!!!!

#NCAA  #HighSchoolTranscript

Are you sure her score will be wiped out?  I do know that for the SAT, scores before 9th are wiped out UNLESS you request in writing before a certain deadline that they not be.  If she takes the test and does well (or has already done so), you might want to call to see if she can keep the score.  This WTM thread seems to say that she can; that only SAT scores are wiped out, not AP scores.

Did HSLDA explain to you that if you want to list an AP class on her transcript (regardless of grade level), the syllabus has to be pre-approved by the College Board?  (I assume you  know this but I wanted to mention it just in case.)  Also, for those following this conversation, here's a link I found with their reasoning as to why they don't allow most classes before 9th grade to be labeled "AP" (the exception being languages).   Note that your student CAN take the test before 9th grade, you just can't call the class AP on their transcript.

I am aware that some Universities may balk at Christian context, which is one of my reasons for adding  secular material as well. Having said that, two of her top choices are Christian Universities and the other, UGA, doesn't have anything specific on their website. These colleges routinely accept students from private Christian school and homeschoolers.    I do want to have my bases covered though.  ;)

One other question. Knowing that the NCAA changes their mind about things like I change my clothing....  There are two private homeschool "hybrid" schools here that I happen to know are in the NCAA database as accepted schools. One has courses listed with NCAA and 2 does NOT.  Does anyone think it may be beneficial to seek accreditation though either of these schools. With one, she would have to attend 3 days a week with homework, with 2, I could get her transcripts accredited independently.  Neither of these are online options like K12 or the like.  

I guess what I'm asking is, is seeking accreditation beneficial or hurtful....if anyone knows.  

For each and every individual, you need to check with NCAA and what are the approved texts and approved outsourced class providers. And yes, there's a good chance you will have to make a hard choice here -- homeschool high school with your preferred materials and forego college sports participation at Division I/II level, or switch to your second tier choice of materials in order to be NCAA eligible for college sports (which also can open doors to college admissions and scholarships).

Unfortunately, this approach will not work since the NCAA only looks at the information at the end of the high school journey.  A provider that may have been approved when the student took the class may no longer be approved when the NCAA actually evaluates the transcript. 

I have had numerous conversations with the NCAA regarding this issue.  Here is what I have been told:

1. As long as the material/textbooks you use for the NCAA core classes are at the high school level or above, the textbooks will be approved.

2. If your child is taking an online class that is not accredited, consider yourself the teacher of record on the worksheets.  Frankly, I planned on doing this for every online class even if the provider was listed in the NCAA database because that database changes and the students are simply out of luck.

3.  The NCAA will not review your transcript and give preliminary approval as you progress through high school.  If you follow steps 1 and 2, you will be fine.

4.  You only have to report the Core Classes to the NCAA for approval.

5.  Make sure you record the ISBN#'s of the material you use as that information is also required by the NCAA.

6.  There is no advantage to paying the registration fee to the NCAA prior to submitting material for approval since you will not get a refund if your student decides not to play Div I or Div II.  When my son was asked for his NCAA Clearinghouse number, he simply told the coaches that he hadn't registered yet.  It was not a problem at all.

• Like 4

One other question. Knowing that the NCAA changes their mind about things like I change my clothing....  There are two private homeschool "hybrid" schools here that I happen to know are in the NCAA database as accepted schools. One has courses listed with NCAA and 2 does NOT.  Does anyone think it may be beneficial to seek accreditation though either of these schools. With one, she would have to attend 3 days a week with homework, with 2, I could get her transcripts accredited independently.  Neither of these are online options like K12 or the like.  

I guess what I'm asking is, is seeking accreditation beneficial or hurtful....if anyone knows.  

There is no guarantee that those two hybrid schools will still be approved by the NCAA when your student goes through the process.

I think seeking accreditation would be time-consuming and unnecessary.  We are homeschoolers.  Accreditation is necessary for online public schools, not homeschoolers. 

I would make the educational choices that are best for your child.  As long as your child is using high school level textbooks, you will be fine.

• Like 2

There is no guarantee that those two hybrid schools will still be approved by the NCAA when your student goes through the process.

I think seeking accreditation would be time-consuming and unnecessary.  We are homeschoolers.  Accreditation is necessary for online public schools, not homeschoolers. 

I would make the educational choices that are best for your child.  As long as your child is using high school level textbooks, you will be fine.

This is how I've always felt about accreditation!  ;)

It's not beneficial. The NCAA only cares about 16 core courses being at the high school level and that you passed those classes. Really, it is only complicated if you choose to use non-high school or above level materials or you choose to list outside classes as outside classes without you being the teacher of record.

What I plan to do with my son is: 

1. List a high school textbook for every one of the 16 core courses. I may, in fact, use those textbooks, or I may simply use them as a guide for what my son should cover and cover it in my own way.

2. List myself as teacher of record for every single outside class he takes (excluding DE, if he goes that route). 

As long as I do those things, there is no reason the NCAA won't approve my courses.

FWIW, my dd hates the NCAA so much that she has chosen to forgo college hockey at the D1 or D2 level because she wants nothing to do with NCAA, does not agree with their monopoly on sports, and refuses to tailor her high school experience to meet the NCAA requirements. She may or may not have gotten that attitude from me. ;) (In reality, she asked me what I thought, and I told her, and then I encouraged her to do her own research on it. She decided that there are MANY things about the NCAA that she doesn't like and that she didn't want to cram her high school studies into an NCAA-approved box. My dh has a very neutral opinion of the NCAA, and she talked to him about that, as well.)

My ds is very much, "Meh, if that's what I have to do, I'll do it" about this issue, although his plan is to go through junior hockey into the minors and not through D1 hockey. I'm tailoring his high school transcript to keep the possibility of D1 sports open for him.

• Like 5

It's not beneficial. The NCAA only cares about 16 core courses being at the high school level and that you passed those classes. Really, it is only complicated if you choose to use non-high school or above level materials or you choose to list outside classes as outside classes without you being the teacher of record.

What I plan to do with my son is: 

1. List a high school textbook for every one of the 16 core courses. I may, in fact, use those textbooks, or I may simply use them as a guide for what my son should cover and cover it in my own way.

2. List myself as teacher of record for every single outside class he takes (excluding DE, if he goes that route).

As long as I do those things, there is no reason the NCAA won't approve my courses.

FWIW, my dd hates the NCAA so much that she has chosen to forgo college hockey at the D1 or D2 level because she wants nothing to do with NCAA, does not agree with their monopoly on sports, and refuses to tailor her high school experience to meet the NCAA requirements. She may or may not have gotten that attitude from me. ;) (In reality, she asked me what I thought, and I told her, and then I encouraged her to do her own research on it. She decided that there are MANY things about the NCAA that she doesn't like and that she didn't want to cram her high school studies into an NCAA-approved box. My dh has a very neutral opinion of the NCAA, and she talked to him about that, as well.)

My ds is very much, "Meh, if that's what I have to do, I'll do it" about this issue, although his plan is to go through junior hockey into the minors and not through D1 hockey. I'm tailoring his high school transcript to keep the possibility of D1 sports open for him.

This brings up another question. Dual Enrollment isn't an issue I assume, provided that it's a recognized college?  She's quite a smart little girl and I'm having to give her a gap year in science. She's only 12 and just completely Apologia General Science with a high A.   I plan to have her do something else for science next year and then pick back up.  i definitely want to keep DE as an option for her.

She is also highly intreated in a DIII school that has a pre-vet program.  It's private though, so her SAT/ACT scores will have to get her an academic scholarship. The only reason that I'm willing to jump through the NCAA hoops is because as of now, her #1 pick gives a scholarship for full tuition and books. Since I have 4 to put through school, it'd be nice to have multiple options. ;)

DE seems not to be an issue at all. I loathe the NCAA with the heat of a thousand suns.

Even though I had no issues and they were very polite on the phone.

^ My experience as well.  

Our dd graduated with 4 DE classes, co-op classes where I listed myself as 'teacher' and the teacher as 'tutor' listing their degrees/experience in that field, and traditional homeschool classes.  

I was very detailed on our Core Course Worksheets with calendar, table of contents, class description, etc.  I hoped their eyes would cross while reading them.   :lol:  There was never an issue with curriculum and I used a variety of publishers.  

Jump through the hoops.  Not a homeschooler's favorite thing to do, but unavoidable if you have an athlete that wants to compete DI or II.  

• Like 3