Menu

Athletes/ NCAA Eligibility / Online Classes?

I have had several conversations with Kevin, the hs liason, at NCAA. From what I can figure out, they really would like to see what textbook you used. If you have a high school level textbook, they are happy.

That said, not all of our online classes have used a textbook. For our history class, I asked him to look over the materials: syllabus, class notes, maps, writing assignments, geography, tests. He gave me the thumbs up.

We used Derek Owens for Physics (highly recommend Derek Owens and he offers math classes too). I haven't yet decided if I'll put down the Giancolli textbook that the class is based on and I bought but never used. I feel confident that based on the syllabus, class notes, homework, labs, and tests, that I would satisfy the NCAA.

We considered using Derek Owens for Physical Science. But, he uses 2 textbooks for that: one middle school and one high school. I opted to not take that chance.

One easy way to satisfy the NCAA is to use dual enrollment classes.

I encourage you to read the other threads that are tagged with NCAA. I've tagged this thread. I encourage you to call the NCAA and speak with Kevin yourself. Then report the conversation here. :D

HTH!

Edited by Sue in St Pete

On the NCAA clearinghouse website there is a link that let's you enter the school name and see if the classes have been cleared by the NCAA. At the time ds 1 was going through the process, Keystone and Seton were two of the ones that I remember being accepted. The list is updated often. Due to recent problems with an online academy scam, there was a big fuss over the validity of online classes.

You should be able to go to the site and check directly. You need to know the name of the course and the school it is offered through.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

I have had several conversations with Kevin, the hs liason, at NCAA. From what I can figure out, they really would like to see what textbook you used. If you have a high school level textbook, they are happy.

That said, not all of our online classes have used a textbook. For our history class, I asked him to look over the materials: syllabus, class notes, maps, writing assignments, geography, tests. He gave me the thumbs up.

We used Derek Owens for Physics (highly recommend Derek Owens and he offers math classes too). I haven't yet decided if I'll put down the Giancolli textbook that the class is based on and I bought but never used. I feel confident that based on the syllabus, class notes, homework, labs, and tests, that I would satisfy the NCAA.

We considered using Derek Owens for Physical Science. But, he uses 2 textbooks for that: one middle school and one high school. I opted to not take that chance.

I encourage you to read the other threads that are tagged with NCAA. I've tagged this thread. I encourage you to call the NCAA and speak with Kevin yourself. Then report the conversation here. :D

HTH!

Is this something you suggest doing as you go through the high school years? Or does he only want to talk to parents of seniors?

I'm wondering about OSU German, for example. There is no outside textbook at all. But it's also not through a high school, so I don't know how to check it via that link.

On the NCAA clearinghouse website there is a link that let's you enter the school name and see if the classes have been cleared by the NCAA. At the time ds 1 was going through the process, Keystone and Seton were two of the ones that I remember being accepted. The list is updated often. Due to recent problems with an online academy scam, there was a big fuss over the validity of online classes.

You should be able to go to the site and check directly. You need to know the name of the course and the school it is offered through.

Looks like Kolbe Academy is also.

Is this something you suggest doing as you go through the high school years? Or does he only want to talk to parents of seniors?

I'm wondering about OSU German, for example. There is no outside textbook at all. But it's also not through a high school, so I don't know how to check it via that link.

Yes, I suggest checking with them throughout the high school years if you have any questions at all. I called when ds was in 8th grade and I was planning for 9th grade. I don't want to find out when ds is a senior that we messed up. Please report back here if you speak with them. Knowledge is power. ;)

Is OSU a high school course or a college course? I think OSU=Oklahoma State University. If there is no textbook, it must be completely online?

It is Oklahoma State Univ. But it's a high school course. Lessons are online with companion in-lesson sheets and worksheets to print out.

So outside grading but no book to cite.

Do you have a syllabus and tests to provide to the NCAA? I would definitely give them a call and discuss the situation. They should be able to give you clear guidelines about what would be sufficient "proof".

Do you have a syllabus and tests to provide to the NCAA? I would definitely give them a call and discuss the situation. They should be able to give you clear guidelines about what would be sufficient "proof".

Hmm, tests are online. There is a syllabus. I'll have to poke at this more.

Did you register as a "district" at the NCAA high school portal? Where do I find Kevin's contact info?

ETA: Am I understanding correctly that you registered your homeschool as a high school and then got approval for each year's courses, in a way similar to a brick and mortar high school?

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

HTH!

This is what I have learned, also: If you give them a high school level text they are happy. But, if you want to use an online class that does not use traditional textbooks then you will have to jump through their hoops. I don't like hoop jumping, and I'm not fond of many traditional textbooks either. :mad:

I looked at the Derek Owens physics because it sounds interesting for my son, and Derek doesn't use the textbook anymore. That's great that he has found a better method to teach the information, but sad that it puts a hoop in my way.

It's just aggravating to have to *prove* that a course is sufficient because it doesn't use a textbook. I could just give him a textbook to study and that would be o.k. with NCAA, but find a high quality online class and it's not. I think I'm just ranting now...

Thank you! I knew of that link, but thought it only applied to brick & mortar schools.

Hmm, tests are online. There is a syllabus. I'll have to poke at this more.

Did you register as a "district" at the NCAA high school portal? Where do I find Kevin's contact info?

ETA: Am I understanding correctly that you registered your homeschool as a high school and then got approval for each year's courses, in a way similar to a brick and mortar high school?

Oh, no. I have not filled out any paperwork at all for NCAA. I just had several conversations with Kevin when ds was in 8th grade. Here is some NCAA Homeschool Information. At the bottom are the phone numbers:

877/262-1492 or 317/223-0700

when I requested the homeschool department, I got Kevin Taylor. Eventually, I got his email address (ktaylor@ncaa.org) and sent him questions that way. That way, I have a paper trail. Unfortunately, I switched email. I still have those emails. They are just harder to find. I know I stored them somewhere. :tongue_smilie:

Here are several other NCAA Homeschool Resources.

• Like 1

It's just aggravating to have to *prove* that a course is sufficient because it doesn't use a textbook. I could just give him a textbook to study and that would be o.k. with NCAA, but find a high quality online class and it's not. I think I'm just ranting now...

Don't get me started. Compared to our crummy local PS where everything is NCAA approved...

:banghead::cursing::rant:

Oh, no. I have not filled out any paperwork at all for NCAA. I just had several conversations with Kevin when ds was in 8th grade. Here is some NCAA Homeschool Information. At the bottom are the phone numbers:

when I requested the homeschool department, I got Kevin Taylor. Eventually, I got his email address (ktaylor@ncaa.org) and sent him questions that way. That way, I have a paper trail. Unfortunately, I switched email. I still have those emails. They are just harder to find. I know I stored them somewhere. :tongue_smilie:

Thank you. I did call OSU German Online this morning to ask if they had ever had their courses reviewed. I'm hoping to get an email back later this week.

If the answer is no, then I guess I'll contact NCAA.

(And to think there are folks who think homeschoolers choose this so we can take it easy. :lol: I feel like I'm doing about 3 different jobs, and that's not even counting lunch lady.)

So here is what I've found out.

Because the OSU German Online course is an online course (vs. a family -designed homeschool course) it needs to go through the approval process for online classes. He (Kevin) did indicate that NCAA has new approval requirements for an online class that he can't just waive for homeschoolers.

I've contacted OSU and asked if they would be willing to submit the course for approval. They seemed open to consider the idea. Seems like it will depend on how much of a hassle NCAA makes it for them.

FWIW, I posed to Kevin the situation where I was directing the German learning myself using OSU German as a component but also using published textbooks. In that case, he said he would have no problem with evaluating it as a homeschooled class. He also indicated willingness to consider a course composed of a textbook and Teaching Company lectures.

One of the concerns with online courses seems to be how accessable the instructor is to students who need help. Interesting. Makes me wonder what sort of problems they've had with online courses in the past. (And I suspect the issues were not just or even mainly with homeschoolers.)

One of the lessons to this seems to be that if you are using an online course with a student who might want to be a college athlete, that it is worth getting together with the course developer to see if they are willing to submit the course for approval.

And if anyone else is using OSU German Online and has a possible future athlete, it might be helpful to drop them a note and ask if they would consider submitting the courses for approval.

FWIW, I posed to Kevin the situation where I was directing the German learning myself using OSU German as a component but also using published textbooks. In that case, he said he would have no problem with evaluating it as a homeschooled class. He also indicated willingness to consider a course composed of a textbook and Teaching Company lectures.

One of the concerns with online courses seems to be how accessable the instructor is to students who need help. Interesting. Makes me wonder what sort of problems they've had with online courses in the past. (And I suspect the issues were not just or even mainly with homeschoolers.)

Using an online class as a component of a textbook-based parent directed class sounds like the least hassle way to make it work. I'm glad you asked that because it was something that I have been considering.

I wish I could find the article I read the other day. It indicated that a driving force behind NCAA's new rules was that public school kids were abusing the online classes. The article profiled an athlete who obtained 20+ credits the summer after his senior year using online classes. It turned out that many of the classes he didn't even know about - his college coach had signed him up & was presumably doing the work.

Ironic, isn't it, that I want to remove my son from public school due to the poor quality teachers who can't be fired because they are tenured. Yet those classes are NCAA approved.

I just stumbled upon:

http://highschool.unl.edu/About-ISHS/Who-We-Serve/Athletes-Performers.aspx

University of Nebraska-Lincoln Independent Study High School is NCAA approved for core classes.

Did you see that a proctor is required who is not a relative? This may only be for the tests, but it's worth making sure.

Hello,

The two that I don't see mentioned are Oak meadow and Laurel springs.

Oak meadow courses are NCAA approved, but the NCAA only recognizes core courses, usually english, social studies, science, math related courses with credits in Fine arts (tricky because I was told that it was based on languages) The best bet is to look up your school code and if you homeschool, look up there homeschool criteria. I signed up for a homeschooler's diploma that is registered with the NCAA, so I would have to do the homschool criteria. Each school does list different courses though. for example I punch in the school code for our homeschool diploma , it does not list prealgebra for a counted course, but it does for our local public school.

I was thinking of enrolling ds for one class to take the weight off of me next year, but I am not sure yet. Not many people seem to use OM. I had a chance to look at the their World history curricula and it is completely different than the younger version, k to 8, which I am familar with.

I also found Laurel springs, which has NCAA approved classes. I am not sure if it still does, but they use to list the NCAA stamp next to the course in the catalog.

So here is what I've found out.

Because the OSU German Online course is an online course (vs. a family -designed homeschool course) it needs to go through the approval process for online classes. He (Kevin) did indicate that NCAA has new approval requirements for an online class that he can't just waive for homeschoolers.

FWIW, I posed to Kevin the situation where I was directing the German learning myself using OSU German as a component but also using published textbooks. In that case, he said he would have no problem with evaluating it as a homeschooled class.

Thank you, everyone, for this thread. I thought I had a slight handle on the NCAA hoops, but now I am not so sure....

Is this approval process for online classes a new development? I read over the requirements for homeschoolers at the beginning of this school year and didn't see any mention of this. Obviously, it is possible that I missed this hoop.

Does this mean that the online provider is the one who has to get NCAA approval for the class and not the homeschooler?

Based on the bolded statement above, I am wondering if a better stance in dealing with the NCAA would be to simply list all unaccredited online classes as a "homeschool class" along with the textbook and not even mention the online class component - even though I would mention the online component in the transcript I send to the colleges.

I have already decided that the transcript I send to the NCAA will not be the transcript I send out to the colleges for admissions purposes.

I have read that the NCAA requires a letter grade to be assigned for all classes and also requires that the transcript be organized by grade. Since the transcript I will be submitting to the colleges will be organized by subject, and I won't be assigning letter grades for any classes created in the homeschool, I will be submitting a bare minimum transcript to the NCAA in order to get approval with the least amount of aggravation.

Obviously I don't want to be viewed as being deceitful in any way, but I also don't want an athletic association dictating how I present my kids' information to the admissions staff at an academic institution. I do plan on mentioning in our homeschool profile that a "bare bones" transcript was sent to the NCAA per NCAA requirements and is available upon request.

He also indicated willingness to consider a course composed of a textbook and Teaching Company lectures.
This statement bothers me. Someone please tell me I am overreacting.

I was under the impression that as long as the course textbook was at least a high school level, the homeschool course would be approved. It worries me when I read, "He would "consider" a course composed of a textbook and The Teaching Company lectures (which are usually college level). Does this guy have the authority to not approve a course? What are his qualifications and what gives him the right? It just kills me when my kid's ACT score at age 14 is nine points higher than our public high school's average for college bound seniors, yet all of the public school's courses are approved and I am the one who has to provide proof that my kid is being educated. End rant.

Thank you, everyone, for this thread. I thought I had a slight handle on the NCAA hoops, but now I am not so sure....

Is this approval process for online classes a new development? I read over the requirements for homeschoolers at the beginning of this school year and didn't see any mention of this. Obviously, it is possible that I missed this hoop.

Does this mean that the online provider is the one who has to get NCAA approval for the class and not the homeschooler?

Based on the bolded statement above, I am wondering if a better stance in dealing with the NCAA would be to simply list all unaccredited online classes as a "homeschool class" along with the textbook and not even mention the online class component - even though I would mention the online component in the transcript I send to the colleges.

I have already decided that the transcript I send to the NCAA will not be the transcript I send out to the colleges for admissions purposes.

I have read that the NCAA requires a letter grade to be assigned for all classes and also requires that the transcript be organized by grade. Since the transcript I will be submitting to the colleges will be organized by subject, and I won't be assigning letter grades for any classes created in the homeschool, I will be submitting a bare minimum transcript to the NCAA in order to get approval with the least amount of aggravation.

Obviously I don't want to be viewed as being deceitful in any way, but I also don't want an athletic association dictating how I present my kids' information to the admissions staff at an academic institution. I do plan on mentioning in our homeschool profile that a "bare bones" transcript was sent to the NCAA per NCAA requirements and is available upon request.

I was under the impression that as long as the course textbook was at least a high school level, the homeschool course would be approved. It worries me when I read, "He would "consider" a course composed of a textbook and The Teaching Company lectures (which are usually college level). Does this guy have the authority to not approve a course? What are his qualifications and what gives him the right? It just kills me when my kid's ACT score at age 14 is nine points higher than our public high school's average for college bound seniors, yet all of the public school's courses are approved and I am the one who has to provide proof that my kid is being educated. End rant.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was trying to convey.

After our discussion about OSU German Online, I asked about a few other circumstances. I asked about using a textbook and an online class. He said that would be assessed as a homeschool course, not as an online course. One of the possible situations I posed was using a textbook and Teaching Company lectures together. He said that would be no problem. I also asked about using a textbook and MIT opencourseware and he said that would be fine.

So I think there are a number of ways of demonstrating high school level work for their purposes.

Yes, online courses have come under more scruitny in the last few years. They had some issues back a couple years and did decertify a couple of schools. I found this article. I'm sure you can find more if you do an advanced search.

As for who he is, NCAA is the national governing board for a wide range of amateur athletics. As such, they certify thousands of athletes every year. I got the impression on the phone that he was quite willing to help. He didn't strike me as out to get homeschoolers at all. I wouldn't read that into the situation.

One thing I am doing is reaching out now to our coaching staff to see if they can put me in touch with local team parents who have gone through this process.

To encourage you, take note of the post by Margaret in CO that she has gone through this process twice. She also has incredibly talented kids who have had deep and interesting school experiences.

Yes, that may mean that you need to have a textbook on hand as well as use online resources. So be it.

And I do like the advice to start working with NCAA early on and try to get approval of coursework as you go along year by year. I think they are not really realizing the pickle that homeschoolers might end up in if a course isn't acceptable years after it was taken.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was trying to convey.

After our discussion about OSU German Online, I asked about a few other circumstances. I asked about using a textbook and an online class. He said that would be assessed as a homeschool course, not as an online course.

Thanks, Sebastian, for the follow-up comments.

You are overreacting. :chillpill:

Does this guy have the authority to not approve a course? What are his qualifications and what gives him the right?

Kevin is actually quite nice. I have read on these boards that the folks on the college confidential board (which intimidates me) regularly discuss that the NCAA is not out to banish hs'ers.

It just kills me when my kid's ACT score at age 14 is nine points higher than our public high school's average for college bound seniors, yet all of the public school's courses are approved and I am the one who has to provide proof that my kid is being educated. End rant.

I totally understand and agree with you. OTOH, not all hs'ers are conscientious. I listened to a book on tape, called Play Their Hearts Out, which is about AAU basketball in CA. Absolutely fascinating book. I highly recommend it. There are talented student-athletes that can't make the grades. Their are unscrupulous coaches that do a disservice to these student-athletes by circumventing academic standards for their own gain. The NCAA has to weed these folks out.

HTH!

You are overreacting. :chillpill:

I totally understand and agree with you. OTOH, not all hs'ers are conscientious. I listened to a book on tape, called Play Their Hearts Out, which is about AAU basketball in CA. Absolutely fascinating book. I highly recommend it. There are talented student-athletes that can't make the grades. Their are unscrupulous coaches that do a disservice to these student-athletes by circumventing academic standards for their own gain. The NCAA has to weed these folks out.

HTH!

Thanks, you guys are making me less nervous about the entire process. I don't know if I am doing the search correctly using the link that was provided in a pp, but it does not look like the online courses from PA Homeschoolers have been approved by the NCAA.

I will contact the NCAA within the next week to see how I could go about getting these courses approved since my oldest is taking a class with them this year. (It is possible that they are approved and I am just doing the search incorrectly - I'll find out.)

Do talk to them. I think it will give you a better sense of what you need.

You might also contact PA Homeschoolers about submitting their courses for certification. Evidently this is done through a different office at NCAA.

ETA: I don't think that it would occur to many online course developers that they should even think to submit courses to NCAA. And it's quite likely that the more rigorous review has come up in just the last couple of years.

Having mulled it over a bit last night, it occurs to me that while one of the stated items of concern is availability and frequency of contact with the instructor, they real issue may be how certain the course providers are that they have actually interacted with the student on a regular basis.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

I just got off of the phone with Kevin at the NCAA. I asked him how to handle online classes that are not accredited. Kevin told me that in this situation when I am choosing different providers on a case by case basis, that I do not even need to list that the class was taken online. I would simply list the textbook information. The example I gave was Latin: my son is taking Latin online, but Kevin told me not mention the online class when I submit my homeschooled information - I simply list the textbook used.

He said that if I was going to enroll my kids in an online school, that I would want to check and make sure that the school was approved by the NCAA before I enrolled.

I asked if I should be submitting my courses on a year by year basis for approval, rather than waiting to register junior year. He said that they do not have the manpower to do that. He went on to say that as long as I use high school level/college prep textbooks that I won't run into any problems getting my courses approved when I register junior year.

Also, the NCAA just added the AoPS textbooks to their list of approved books. However, he said if they had not been on the list, that the NCAA would have simply requested a table of contents from me to ensure that they were high school level books.

Lastly, PA Homeschoolers is on their list of approved suppliers. He told me to send in the grade document issued by PA Homeschoolers when I register junior year.

Bottom line - this is not as daunting as I originally thought.

• Like 1

I just got off of the phone with Kevin at the NCAA. I asked him how to handle online classes that are not accredited. Kevin told me that in this situation when I am choosing different providers on a case by case basis, that I do not even need to list that the class was taken online. I would simply list the textbook information. The example I gave was Latin: my son is taking Latin online, but Kevin told me not mention the online class when I submit my homeschooled information - I simply list the textbook used.

Yeah! I wanted to do this, so it's great to have confirmation that it is acceptable to the NCAA. And, thank you to everyone who's commented on this thread.

He said that if I was going to enroll my kids in an online school, that I would want to check and make sure that the school was approved by the NCAA before I enrolled.

I asked if I should be submitting my courses on a year by year basis for approval, rather than waiting to register junior year. He said that they do not have the manpower to do that. He went on to say that as long as I use high school level/college prep textbooks that I won't run into any problems getting my courses approved when I register junior year.

Also, the NCAA just added the AoPS textbooks to their list of approved books. However, he said if they had not been on the list, that the NCAA would have simply requested a table of contents from me to ensure that they were high school level books.

Lastly, PA Homeschoolers is on their list of approved suppliers. He told me to send in the grade document issued by PA Homeschoolers when I register junior year.

Bottom line - this is not as daunting as I originally thought.

Excellent info. Thanks for sharing.

On the bolded above, I guess that starting freshman year I will add a couple textbooks to the rotation for German. I certainly have more than a half dozen to pick from on our shelves. :lol: I'm pretty sure that this in conjunction with the OSU German Online syllabus will be adequate. (Though I am hoping that OSU goes ahead an submits their course for review.)

What it certainly will do is spur me on to some good hard hours poolside this summer solidifying schedules and syllabi for next year. (Which will make my dh jump for joy. He's a very checklist oriented guy.)

On the bolded above, I guess that starting freshman year I will add a couple textbooks to the rotation for German. I certainly have more than a half dozen to pick from on our shelves. :lol: I'm pretty sure that this in conjunction with the OSU German Online syllabus will be adequate. (Though I am hoping that OSU goes ahead an submits their course for review.)...

Regarding the bolded, based on my conversation with Kevin, you would not even have to submit the online syllabus - just provide the textbook and the ISBN, don't even mention the online component - and you are good to go.:auto:

Regarding the bolded, based on my conversation with Kevin, you would not even have to submit the online syllabus - just provide the textbook and the ISBN, don't even mention the online component - and you are good to go.:auto:

I will have to think about poking at this again down the line. I do hesitate to have two transcripts that diverge too greatly (one for the colleges and another for NCAA).

It is a shame that the NCAA system does seem to push one toward this splitting of hairs.

I will have to think about poking at this again down the line. I do hesitate to have two transcripts that diverge too greatly (one for the colleges and another for NCAA).

It is a shame that the NCAA system does seem to push one toward this splitting of hairs.

:iagree:However, fwiw, I have already decided to have two separate transcripts. I will mention in the homeschool profile that the transcript submitted to the NCAA only lists the bare minimum core courses and textbook information and is available upon request to any college.

I also have a philosophical difference of opinion with the NCAA regarding the assignment of letter grades: I don't want to assign them to home study courses, yet if I don't assign them on the NCAA transcript, those classes will be assigned a grade of "D".

• 3 weeks later...

This is helpful information as I am trying not to panic WRT NCAA.

What about classes that do not use a textbook? Can we submit a syllabus or something? If this has been stated, I appologize.

Will they take proof by way of SAT II subject exams? Thinking for a foreign language. If the child learns enough of a language during the course of hsing to pass the exam, does that count? Or do we have to list an actual textbook?

This is helpful information as I am trying not to panic WRT NCAA.

I know what you mean about the panicking. After speaking with Kevin at the NCAA, I am no longer worried about the process.

What about classes that do not use a textbook? Can we submit a syllabus or something? If this has been stated, I appologize.

Will they take proof by way of SAT II subject exams? Thinking for a foreign language. If the child learns enough of a language during the course of hsing to pass the exam, does that count? Or do we have to list an actual textbook?

I asked this question in regards to English, not foreign language, since we do not use any textbooks for English. I was told that I would just simply submit a list of the material that we used for the subject. You would do the same with your foreign language class - just list the material that you used. The only caveat the NCAA gave was to make sure that the material you are using is at least at the high school level.

What about classes that do not use a textbook? Can we submit a syllabus or something?

I spoke with Kevin when ds was in 8th grade particularly about our history program which did not use a textbook. I was able to send him the syllabus, class notes, maps, writing assignments, geography, tests. He told me that it was fine.

This is an excellent question! I encourage you to contact Kevin and ask. Then let us know his response. His contact information is posted earlier in this thread.

• 1 month later...
:lurk5: :001_huh::001_huh::001_huh:

I spoke with Kevin a week or so ago. I had heard a rumor that students dual enrolled at CC should not take too many credits because it could affect their NCAA standing?

He said that they can take as many CC classes as they like. As long as they don't play on the CC team, they are fine. In fact, they love to see student athletes taking rigorous courses of study at CC. What a benefit it is... Calmed my fear.

I spoke with Kevin a week or so ago. I had heard a rumor that students dual enrolled at CC should not take too many credits because it could affect their NCAA standing?

He said that they can take as many CC classes as they like. As long as they don't play on the CC team, they are fine. In fact, they love to see student athletes taking rigorous courses of study at CC. What a benefit it is... Calmed my fear.

Thanks for mentioning this. It hadn't even occured to me that this could pose a problem.

• 6 months later...

HTH!

I know this is an older thread, but I'm trying to keep NCAA info clumped together.

Has anyone submitted a booklist that included books too old to have and ISBN? I'm thinking, for example, of my Dolciani algebra books.

I know this is an older thread, but I'm trying to keep NCAA info clumped together.

Has anyone submitted a booklist that included books too old to have and ISBN? I'm thinking, for example, of my Dolciani algebra books.

So I talked to Pam at the homeschool office today. She said that it was not a problem to be using an older book without ISBN, but that when I put it on the booklist, I should give publication info (author, publisher, publication date) AND indicate that the book did not have an ISBN.

She said if I just left off the ISBN, the reviewer might think that it had been missed; but if it clearly states that an ISBN doesn't exist, that would make it easier to review.

I spoke with Kevin when ds was in 8th grade particularly about our history program which did not use a textbook. I was able to send him the syllabus, class notes, maps, writing assignments, geography, tests. He told me that it was fine.

Sue, regarding the bolded items, did you send in a portfolio of actual work — completed writing assignments, graded tests, etc.? Do they normally require that if the student isn't using a text? (I'm assuming they don't require work samples if the student uses a standard text — but please correct me if I'm wrong about that!) I guess I'm mostly concerned about English credits — I would hope that a reading list would suffice, as long as all the books were HS level or above.

Jackie

Sue, regarding the bolded items, did you send in a portfolio of actual work — completed writing assignments, graded tests, etc.? Do they normally require that if the student isn't using a text? (I'm assuming they don't require work samples if the student uses a standard text — but please correct me if I'm wrong about that!) I guess I'm mostly concerned about English credits — I would hope that a reading list would suffice, as long as all the books were HS level or above.

Jackie

I sent 1 writing assignment, 1 graded test, 1 day's class notes, etc. I probably sent more than they wanted, but I'd rather send more than less. They do not require work samples with a textbook. An English credit without a text might need more than the reading list. You would at least need a syllabus.

When I started keeping records, I did not realize that the NCAA would require more information than required by the colleges on ds's list. I have gone back and recorded the ISBN#'s for the textbooks ds has used the last two years. However,while I have maintained a list of the novels (title and author) ds has read as part of his English and history programs to submit to the colleges, I did not think at the time to record the ISBN#s for these books.

Does anyone know if the NCAA requires the ISBN#'s for novels? Please tell me that title and author will suffice.:D