Menu

NCAA Approved Text list

I went through this with my older son last year and started it with my younger son, but it looks like he will likely choose a DIII or NAIA (which has its own approval process).

Math was all Math-U-See

Lab sciences were FL Virtual School

Rosetta Stone

English was mom-designed where I just listed all the books (writing texts, vocab workbooks, etc) we used, including reading lists. We did do a couple of Write@home classes, but to be honest, I am not sure I included it on my NCAA paperwork.

History/Gov't/ Economics-FLVS Though we certainly did other things, this was easiest to give to them.

That is what I can think of off the top of my head.

The only question I got from the NCAA was regarding AO Life Pacs we did for social studies in 9th. They simply wanted to know which units we did.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For those of us coming up in a couple years, can you please explain what you are talking about. :confused: I have an athlete, so I'm guessing it has something to do with athletics. :confused:

If your child plans on playing a sport in college, their coursework must be approved by the NCAA. A place to start is here:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/NCAA/Legislation+and+Governance/Eligibility+and+Recruiting/index.html

My oldest will be entering 9th grade this year, so I am by NO MEANS an expert. I have just been doing research :001_smile:. I do know that you should register with the NCAA clearinghouse early in your child's junior year to start the review process. The NCAA requires that your student have at least 16 credits (for DIV I schools now, and Div II schools starting in 2013) in core areas (they are listed in the link I posted above).

I, too, would be interested in the experiences of others and their curriculum choices :D.

For those of us coming up in a couple years, can you please explain what you are talking about. :confused: I have an athlete, so I'm guessing it has something to do with athletics. :confused:

http://eligibilitycenter.org/ECWR2/NCAA_EMS/NCAA.html

Go to that web page, click on <students enter here> and then <resources> and you'll see <home school students> on the drop-down menu. It seems that if it's a typical high school level class using high school level texts, it will be approved. You may have trouble with "homemade" classes that don't use college-prep materials. Mine hasn't even entered high school yet (8th) but I'm watching this stuff closely since we are hoping for a swim scholarship when the time comes!

Does anyone know of high school texts that were *not* approved?

I went through this with my older son last year and started it with my younger son, but it looks like he will likely choose a DIII or NAIA (which has its own approval process).

Kate,

Did you make up a transcript like in their example?

Ds is finishing 9th grade, so I haven't gone through the process yet, but I've chatted with the NCAA several times.

I think if you use a high school level textbook, you won't have a problem. I also encourage anyone to call NCAA 317-223-0700 and ask for Kevin Taylor in the homeschool department and ask about specific publishers if you are unsure. Ask if he can share his list. Maybe he will if enough of us ask. ;)

I considered using Derek Owen's Physical Science this year. He uses 2 texts and 1 is a junior high level. We did his Physics class instead. It doesn't actually use a text, but is based on Giancolli's. I believe I can demonstrate that it is high school level, just based on the Table of Contents.

I was told Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings would be okay. The website says grades 7-10. I made sure to print off the high school lesson plans.

I didn't ask about Discovering Geometry because it is high school level.

My son takes a history class with a teacher that uses no textbook. I keep the syllabus and all the work that is covered.

I will keep all the books and be prepared to copy Table of Contents at least.

I wish they had a pre-approval process. I hate the thought of screwing up because I don't know any better.

Kate,

Did you make up a transcript like in their example?

I used a very simple template for my transcripts, for both the NCAA and colleges. To be honest, I don't remember what the NCAA example looks like. I just listed the class name and grade by school year along with where the class was taken.

I found FHSAA (the high school sports association) much more difficult to deal with than the NCAA in regards to homeschooling. I felt like the goal of FHSAA was to keep homeschoolers from competing. I did not get that feeling from the NCAA at all.

Why did you have to deal with them at all?

FHSAA=Florida High School Athletic Association. They have to make sure that homeschoolers who would like to play on a private or public school team are following an academic course of study for high school, live nearby, etc. That's so the schools can't take advantage of outstanding athletes from across the state or across the country who can't read, write, spell, etc.

I think FHSAA has been getting their act together. Apparently, the EL7 and EL9 form are new. I had no problem following the directions, filling out the forms, and getting approval.

If your child plans on playing a sport in college, their coursework must be approved by the NCAA.

Not all college level sports are governed by NCAA, so for the folks who are just starting with high school athletics, take a look at the list before getting too worried! I know most are obvious, but there are plenty of competitive collegiate sports that fall outside the NCAA umbrella.

We went through a panic earlier this year, only to discover that my kids' sports are not governed by NCAA. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1 and Geometry

Tobey/Slater Intermediate Algebra

Lial Pre Calculus

Lightning Literature - literature and speech

Learning Language Arts Through Literature High School Gold Books

CliffsNotes/SparkNotes

Analytical Grammar

Jensen's Vocabulary

Keystone Courses (only the online courses are accepted now)

Walch Publishing Biology

Castle Heights Press Labs

Apologia Physics

Any school publisher textbook...Holt, Glencoe, etc...for government and economics

Runkles Geography

Artistic Pursuits

We had other courses for electives and such and they counted those in a different way from the core courses they require.

hth

• 2 months later...
Not all college level sports are governed by NCAA, so for the folks who are just starting with high school athletics, take a look at the list before getting too worried! I know most are obvious, but there are plenty of competitive collegiate sports that fall outside the NCAA umbrella.

We went through a panic earlier this year, only to discover that my kids' sports are not governed by NCAA. :)

I realize this is an older thread. But I was wondering if there is a handy list of NCAA governed sports and/or schools that fell into the Div I or Div II categories. I wasn't necessarily coming up with a tidy list.

It seems like swimming does fall into this category. Mens crew definitely does not (they are IRA governed instead).

Are different sports in different divisions at the same school? Or if a school is Div I for football/basketball will it be Div I for all?

Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1 and Geometry

Tobey/Slater Intermediate Algebra

Lial Pre Calculus

Lightning Literature - literature and speech

Learning Language Arts Through Literature High School Gold Books

CliffsNotes/SparkNotes

Analytical Grammar

Jensen's Vocabulary

Keystone Courses (only the online courses are accepted now)

Walch Publishing Biology

Castle Heights Press Labs

Apologia Physics

Any school publisher textbook...Holt, Glencoe, etc...for government and economics

Runkles Geography

Artistic Pursuits

We had other courses for electives and such and they counted those in a different way from the core courses they require.

hth

I don't like the idea of an athletic association formulating a list of approved academic textbooks. I think that is way overstepping.

Have you seen the NCAA's required SAT/ACT scores? What a joke! And this organization wants to approve the textbooks my kids use? Hopefully the requirement is actually just another stupid hoop we will have to jump through.

Has anyone heard of anyone actually having trouble getting her textbooks approved by the NCAA?

Edited by snowbeltmom

I guess if your children have athletic ability, you do what you have to do to help them pursue that.

:iagree: My kids want to participate in their sport at the college level. That is why I am trying to figure this whole thing out.

My daughter's entry into college was not based on the NCAA's requirements...the colleges have requirements of their own above and beyond the NCAA's...

Exactly. Why does the NCAA have to get involved in the academic side of this if the college's academic requirements are above and beyond the NCAA?

No, she didn't use AoPS, MCT, or take Latin or have AP or CC classes...

I am not sure what point you are making commenting om my kids' curriculum.:confused:

And yes...I have heard of lots of people having their curriculum questioned by the NCAA...probably more because it did not appear "mainstream" rather than whether or not it was rigorous enough, which is what seems to be the concern. I don't think they are out to get homeschoolers...we had no problems AT ALL...got approval within 2 weeks...no questions asked.

Again, I think the individual college should be the governing body responsible for validating curriculum choices - not the NCAA.

Also, the list I gave was only some of what we used...it's what we had accepted by the NCAA...that doesn't mean the next person using those products will have them approved...those products are not on "a list" with the NCAA...no such list exists as far as I know...I think they review each individual application...

This concerns me as well. Why would a curriculum choice be approved for one family, but not another?:confused:

I feel like athletes get a bad rap...everyone seems to think they only have to get approved by the NCAA to get into college...that's a falsehood...if the student can't meet the college's entrance requirements, the NCAA approval means nothing..

Then why again do we need to have our academic textbooks approved by the NCAA?:confused:

Then why again do we need to have our academic textbooks approved by the NCAA?:confused:

I was discussing this today with my oldest son. He is a swimmer. Has a strange history with swimming, but is a hard worker and I could see him participating as he progresses to high school and college.

Part of our discussion was about how NCAA's mission in part is to prevent abuses by student atheletes or colleges. When I was in high school, SMU was investigated and then had their football program shut down. The school and its boosters demonstrated that they couldn't be self policing. Just last week, Ohio State had several players disciplined for selling their football jerseys.

We also discussed the fact that homeschoolers often end up having to jump through hoops because of the abuses of others. Military recruiters who list dropouts as "homeschoolers" in order to get them around the lack of diploma (and to help the recruiters make their quotas). This was an issue back around 2002. Parents who purchase teachers' editions of books or order standardized tests in order to give their kid a leg up on homework or test taking. Crazy stuff that IMHO reflects a desperate grasping and self centeredness. But that unfortunately forces a lot of other people to jump through hoops.

I'm no more going to be in a position to change the NCAA than I will be able to bring back all the men's sports programs that have fallen to the bean counting of Title IX. My efforts are on making sure that my son(s) are in a position to compete if they make the cut athletically and have an interest in continuing with college sports.

I was wondering if there is a handy list of NCAA governed sports and/or schools that fell into the Div I or Div II categories. I wasn't necessarily coming up with a tidy list.

The best way to find Division I and/or II schools is to use the College Board search tool. Under 'sports and activities', choose the men or women sport, then click on 'advanced search: search by sport level' to select division(s). There are lots of other options to narrow the search as well: geographical, costs, majors, etc.

Are different sports in different divisions at the same school? Or if a school is Div I for football/basketball will it be Div I for all?

I think it's Div I for all.

HTH!

Have you seen the NCAA's required SAT/ACT scores? What a joke! And this organization wants to approve the textbooks my kids use? Hopefully the requirement is actually just another stupid hoop we will have to jump through.

Yes, I was shocked at how low the SAT/ACT scores could be.

I listened to a book on tape called Play Their Hearts Out by George Dohrmann. This was an absolutely fascinating book about the world of AAU basketball. He follows a young team through high school graduation. You can be sure that there are unscrupulous people who use hs'ing to get their uneducated athletes through high school. These coaches/parents are doing these athletes no favor, imo. The NCAA is there to attempt to make sure this does not happen, or at least to make sure that uneducated athletes aren't blindly accepted into colleges where they will not be capable of succeeding.

I have had several conversations with Kevin Taylor, who is the hs rep for the NCAA. All he wants to see is that the textbooks that are being used for high school are indeed high school level. Wouldn't it be a disservice to these young athletes to be using all junior high textbooks?

Has anyone heard of anyone actually having trouble getting her textbooks approved by the NCAA?

I have heard people say that over on the college confidential board (which I am too intimidated to use), that many people have had good experiences with the NCAA. They are not out to keep hs'ers off the college sports teams.

HTH!

When I was in high school, SMU was investigated and then had their football program shut down. The school and its boosters demonstrated that they couldn't be self policing. Just last week, Ohio State had several players disciplined for selling their football jerseys.

Oh yes, this too! Football and basketball make lots and lots of money for colleges. Do they have the athletes best interests at heart?

Edited by Sue in St Pete

I have had several conversations with Kevin Taylor, who is the hs rep for the NCAA. All he wants to see is that the textbooks that are being used for high school are indeed high school level.

I have heard people say that over on the college confidential board (which I am too intimidated to use), that many people have had good experiences with the NCAA. They are not out to keep hs'ers off the college sports teams.

HTH!

Thank you for your post. It is reassuring.