Menu

"7th/8th grade AP and SAT scores purged by end of 8th grade school year" ??

We got a phone call from the college board last night as they wanted to verify DS's address.  We live overseas and were back in the US recently for a few months.  He took the Physics SAT subject test before we left for the US, and then took the SAT and the AP Comp Sci exams in the US, both in different states.  Makes sense that the college board would want to verify his address!  After that was done, I asked the gentleman on the phone about what I need to do to ensure that DS's scores were kept for four years, since he was only in 8th grade when he took these exams.  His reply was: "all 8th grade scores are purged in June of their 8th grade year unless you have provided a written request that they be kept."  What?  We only received the AP scores in July.  And technically we could call that DS's 9th grade year if we wanted to.  I freaked out a bit, and he said, "I'm sorry, but this is our policy.  The scores would have been purged in June."  He put me on hold to go check with someone, and then we were disconnected.  DS's scores are still there on the college board website, and I can't see anything on the site about purging scores from 8th grade.  I think he was just confused?  Anyone heard of this before? 

How long ago was that?

It's been the policy for at least 10 years.  My oldest ds got 800 on the math as a 7th grader, but we didn't  the CR score on his record so we didn't have it kept.  We did keep some of the high subject test scores from 8th grade.

So DS's scores are still up on the site.  I did find where it says you need to send a request to keep 8th grade scores, but it was in the context of SAT.  We don't need to keep his SAT score, as he'll take that again, but I would want to keep his subject test score, and the AP score.  The AP scores only came out in July, so I'm not understanding how it could be purged in June anyway. 

AP scores from 8th grade stay on the record.  Don't worry about that.  It's only SAT scores (regular and subject  tests) that are purged.  If you want to keep the subject test score, I believe you need to write a letter to the College Board.  Youngest dd is going into 11th so it's been awhile since I've done it.

AP scores from 8th grade stay on the record.  Don't worry about that.  It's only SAT scores (regular and subject  tests) that are purged.  If you want to keep the subject test score, I believe you need to write a letter to the College Board.  Youngest dd is going into 11th so it's been awhile since I've done it.

OK, thanks.  I will contact them on Monday.

Yes. I wrote to keep SAT scores from talent searches in their records. I sent a letter in a couple months after the test so it would happen before freshman year.

For the AP I would call again or send a letter just to cover it. However there is also a CB policy regarding pre high school AP exams. I think officially they only want younger students in language classes. But I don't remember if this is a policy referring to course enrollment or test retention.

Yes. I wrote to keep SAT scores from talent searches in their records. I sent a letter in a couple months after the test so it would happen before freshman year.

You have to send the letter in by June. The rep I talked to actually used the words "before June", but I'm pretty sure the letter can be sent in June.

We lost scores because of this.

It is a bizarre system, because in our case it would have meant we had to send the letter before even receiving scores. He took the test IN June! I think it would make far more sense for them to purge the scores in August.

For the AP I would call again or send a letter just to cover it. However there is also a CB policy regarding pre high school AP exams. I think officially they only want younger students in language classes. But I don't remember if this is a policy referring to course enrollment or test retention.

My kids took APs before 9th grade and they stayed on their record.  I never needed to do anything special.

You have to send the letter in by June. The rep I talked to actually used the words "before June", but I'm pretty sure the letter can be sent in June.

We lost scores because of this.

It is a bizarre system, because in our case it would have meant we had to send the letter before even receiving scores. He took the test IN June! I think it would make far more sense for them to purge the scores in August.

Ok, we did not send a letter by June as I didn't know this.  But the scores are still there.  Also, my DS was 14, and could technically be in 9th grade if we wanted to call it that.  Maybe that's why the scores are still there?  And what is the point of purging scores anyway??

However there is also a CB policy regarding pre high school AP exams. I think officially they only want younger students in language classes. But I don't remember if this is a policy referring to course enrollment or test retention.

Wow, I have never heard of this before.

And what is the point of purging scores anyway??

I think it's a holdover from paper files. Colleges won't accept "old" test scores, so they would empty the file cabinets to make room for more. Probably should be revisited, but this way they get to charge you for another test, and hopefully a test prep book too. It's all about the money.

It's not true.  Kids can take any tests before 9th grade and they stay on their records.  I promise.  My kids have done it.

And what is the point of purging scores anyway??

So kids can take a test in middle school for a talent search or just to have the experience without worrying about it staying on their record.  It's a great thing!  We always had our kids take the SAT several times in middle school for practice, off the record.  Then they took it one or twice in high school and colleges only saw the high scores.

Multiquote isn't working for me right now for some reason...

I can see the purging being useful in that you can take the SAT for practice in middle school without it counting, but not for subject tests.  And it would still be better to just have the student request a score purge if they didn't want it on their record anymore and the default be to keep it.  It isn't like they are short of storage space anymore.

This was our experience as well.  AP scores stay, but you must write a letter to the College Board to keep the SAT and SAT Subject Test scores.  I don't remember the address of where I sent the letter, but the rep at the College Board will be able to provide it.

I just dealt with this in June for my younger ds. He took the SAT in June, but we waited until we got the scores (by phone) before we sent in the letter to save the scores. His scores weren't stunning or anything, but we want to keep them on record because they'll qualify him for community college here. This is the link to the info at the college board:

http://professionals.collegeboard.com/testing/sat-reasoning/register/special/8th-grade

Editing to add, maybe your ds is different because he is older. My ds is under 13 and couldn't register online, so we couldn't see his scores online at all. I'd call them Monday to verify.

I just dealt with this in June for my younger ds. He took the SAT in June, but we waited until we got the scores (by phone) before we sent in the letter to save the scores. His scores weren't stunning or anything, but we want to keep them on record because they'll qualify him for community college here. This is the link to the info at the college board:

http://professionals.collegeboard.com/testing/sat-reasoning/register/special/8th-grade

Editing to add, maybe your ds is different because he is older. My ds is under 13 and couldn't register online, so we couldn't see his scores online at all. I'd call them Monday to verify.

When my kids first to the SAT, both were younger than 9th grade.  One was also younger than 13.

I was able to see scores for one kid online.  I requested that his scores be retained.

I was not able to see the second set of scores, but had them read to me and then received a paper report.  I requested that his scores be retained.  I also sent a separate letter requesting a copy of his essay.  I did this so that we could review his essay response.  The older kid had his essay available online as part of his online score report.

I think it is an issue of what courses can be labeled as AP courses, not a restriction on individual students taking an exam before 9th grade.  (Nor do I think it would restrict a school from having AP courses in their high school and allowing selected younger students to enroll in them early.  Just as an example, in our old part of Northern Virginia, many of the upper level schools were secondary 7-12 grade schools with 7-8 on one side of campus and 9-12 on the other.  But that might have allowed a heavy hitting student to go across campus for one period to take an advanced class.

www.collegeboard.com/html/apcourseaudit/faq.html

Edited to remove text from link above: 

Per this link courses taken in middle school cannot be labeled as AP courses, except for languages.

Again, I'm not addressing a student who takes an exam before 9th grade.  In fact the whole issue of AP for homeschoolers is a huge gray area, outside the typical AP situations.  I'm just noting CB policy regarding audits and labeling of courses.

Thanks for the link!  I will have to find out on Monday what to do.  His scores are still up, and I'm wondering if it's because of his age.  He had just turned 14 when he took the exam and could have been considered 9th grade. 

I think it is an issue of what courses can be labeled as AP courses, not a restriction on individual students taking an exam before 9th grade.  (Nor do I think it would restrict a school from having AP courses in their high school and allowing selected younger students to enroll in them early.  Just as an example, in our old part of Northern Virginia, many of the upper level schools were secondary 7-12 grade schools with 7-8 on one side of campus and 9-12 on the other.  But that might have allowed a heavy hitting student to go across campus for one period to take an advanced class.

www.collegeboard.com/html/apcourseaudit/faq.html

Can courses offered in middle school be labeled AP?

The AP designation may only be applied to courses offered at or above the 9th grade level which have received authorization through the annual AP Course Audit process. The AP label cannot be affixed to courses and transcripts prior to 9th grade.  There is one exception to this policy: AP world language courses. These courses focus on linguistic proficiency and cultural competency, so in rare situations these courses can be successfully offered earlier than 9th grade among students who can already speak, read, and write the language with fluency. In summary, the AP Course Audit will only renew or authorize courses tat are offered exclusively in grades 9-12, with the exception of AP world language programs.

Again, I'm not addressing a student who takes an exam before 9th grade.  In fact the whole issue of AP for homeschoolers is a huge gray area, outside the typical AP situations.  I'm just noting CB policy regarding audits and labeling of courses.

That makes sense, and you are right about homeschoolers just not fitting into that scheme.  It isn't rare for a homeschooled middle schooler to be able to handle AP level material.

So for anyone who may be helped by this info -- I spoke with college board yesterday, and they said that his SAT and SAT subject test would be purged soon.  Another person will get back with me in 5-7 days to speak about this and confirm; I will try and see if they are willing to retain his SAT subject score, but I am not too hopeful.  I also spoke with the AP department, and they also said they would purge unless I sent in a letter - though they said I had several more weeks.  However, when I said that DS was 14 when he took the exam, she said his AP scores would be retained - it would only be purged if he were 13 or younger.  So for AP testing, if a child is 13 or younger, a letter needs to be sent in to request that the scores not be purged.  For SAT/SAT subject tests the scores are purged for all 8th grade or below students, regardless of age. 

DS was actually not upset; he said the physics SAT subject test was fun, much more so than the lengthy SAT or AP exams.  Now we're wondering if he should just take it again the next time it's offered since the material is somewhat fresh and it will be a few years before he revisits physics.  Goofy system. :glare:

So for AP testing, if a child is 13 or younger, a letter needs to be sent in to request that the scores not be purged.  For SAT/SAT subject tests the scores are purged for all 8th grade or below students, regardless of age. 

DS was actually not upset; he said the physics SAT subject test was fun, much more so than the lengthy SAT or AP exams.  Now we're wondering if he should just take it again the next time it's offered since the material is somewhat fresh and it will be a few years before he revisits physics.  Goofy system. :glare:

If you don't want his SAT or SAT Subject Test results purged, you just need to send in a letter stating that you would like those scores to be retained on your son's record.  It is a very easy process to retain scores that would otherwise be purged.

If you don't want his SAT or SAT Subject Test results purged, you just need to send in a letter stating that you would like those scores to be retained on your son's record.  It is a very easy process to retain scores that would otherwise be purged.

Easy, if you know about it in time.  The letter needs to be sent in by June of the student's 8th grade year.  They should make this clear when registering for the exam.

Easy, if you know about it in time.  The letter needs to be sent in by June of the student's 8th grade year.  They should make this clear when registering for the exam.

I would send a letter, certified mail, today to the College Board.  I would also call the College Board today and inform them that you want the scores retained and that a certified letter has been sent.  Even if the score has been "purged" and is no longer showing up in your son's account, the College Board can retrieve it.

The last time I signed up an under 9th grader, a red box popped up warning me that scores would be purged and I had to click "okay" before I could continue with the registration.  Did they get rid of that when they updated the software?

My ds was under 13, so he couldn't register online. He had to mail in a paper registration. So no, there was no pop-up box, LOL.

I would send a letter, certified mail, today to the College Board.  I would also call the College Board today and inform them that you want the scores retained and that a certified letter has been sent.  Even if the score has been "purged" and is no longer showing up in your son's account, the College Board can retrieve it.

Thanks, I'm doing that!!

The last time I signed up an under 9th grader, a red box popped up warning me that scores would be purged and I had to click "okay" before I could continue with the registration.  Did they get rid of that when they updated the software?

That would only work if you your child was over the age of 13.  Unless things have changed in the last few years, those under 13 cannot create an online account and have to register via snail mail.

I had a situation a few years ago with my oldest son's account. The reps at the College Board do have the ability to flag an account and prevent any changes being made to the account until the College Board receives the necessary written paperwork from the parent. 

If the student is under 13, you can't register online. It's by paper. At least that's my memory. ETA: Oh, whoops. I see others already said this. I'm typing too slow today.

I just wish the purge were a couple of months AFTER the last test. If they purged in August rather than June, then everyone would have received their scores already. In the current system, June testers need to be really on the ball for no good reason that I know of.

But I'm not really worked up about it or anything. Just a minor administration thing that I will fix when I rule the world.

But they do make it clear on the College Board website:

I would never have seen that page!  I did see a small paragraph on a different page though, related to SAT registration through a talent search -- only after searching in the wake of the phone call with college board.

Yes, this is exactly what I would have appreciated!  Didn't get it.

I just wish the purge were a couple of months AFTER the last test. If they purged in August rather than June, then everyone would have received their scores already. In the current system, June testers need to be really on the ball for no good reason that I know of.

I really wish they could purge in August. Or at least July. It really does penalize June testers.

I also spoke with the AP department, and they also said they would purge unless I sent in a letter - though they said I had several more weeks.  However, when I said that DS was 14 when he took the exam, she said his AP scores would be retained - it would only be purged if he were 13 or younger.  So for AP testing, if a child is 13 or younger, a letter needs to be sent in to request that the scores not be purged.  For SAT/SAT subject tests the scores are purged for all 8th grade or below students, regardless of age. 

I absolutely believe that this is what they told you, but this has not been our experience with AP scores AT ALL.  My daughter took the world history exam in seventh grade, when she was 13, and it is still on her score report now that she is a rising junior.  Her four APs from eighth grade (age 14) are also still on her score report.  This may vary from registration method to registration method, but her experience registering was that there was not even a way to tell the CB that you are not yet in ninth grade when you take the exam.  For both seventh and eighth grades, she had to register as a ninth grader because there was no "not yet in ninth grade" option.  (She regularly receives mail from colleges now that think she is two grades ahead of her actual grade, and it dates back to her seventh and eighth grade AP registrations.)  As recently as a month ago, she checked her AP score report to ensure that everything was up to date for her dual enrollment application to Georgia Tech, and everything was right where it was supposed to be.

I really dislike the College Board and am not surprised that this is so confusing.

Just wanted to update with our happy resolution!  I received another phone call last night from College Board, and this time I was told that I just needed to send in an email (he gave me his address) requesting a score retention.  I did that immediately, and he called back in about 15 minutes to tell me that we are all set, and his scores will not be purged.  He said that the reason they do this is because the "vast majority of students who take exams this early want them deleted."  I'm not sure why the first few people I spoke with were on the opposite end of accommodation, but I'm so glad that's done.  Thanks for all the feedback!!  I really thought that first person I spoke with was crazy!