Menu

Does anyone with recent experience have a tricycle recommendation?

Hikin' Mama

I'm going to send my grandgirl a trike for Christmas. I plan on purchasing on Amazon and having it shipped. I've been reading some reviews, and the couple I was looking at have several reviewers reporting problems, either with assembly or longevity. This is something that her mom (and I) would like to last to be passed down to her little brother.

Has anyone relatively recently purchased and assembled a trike that was not too hard to assemble and that lasted well?

Thank you!

We bought a Radio Flyer for DD when she was about 2. DS was outside riding on it this afternoon, eight years later. It's been well-loved, sometimes a little too much, IYKWIM. ;) It's still in great shape -- nice enough that I will probably hold onto it for any future grandkids.

It's like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-Classic-Dual-Tricycle/dp/B00004TXM7/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1448658049&sr=8-8&keywords=radio+flyer+trike

• Like 1

kettler. they're great.

The classic Kettler's last roughly forever.  We got gifted a 90's purple and teal trike when DS was 2 by random strangers while out on our daily walk in 2008. We used it for both kids and did probably 1+miles a day going to parks in addition to incidental use for 2.5+years for both boys. In 2009 or so we ordered a push bar and some parts from Kettler and they told us our model had stopped manufacturing in like '97. They still had parts and the push bar and screw driver that came with it were labeled as made in *West Germany*... so circa 1990. We gave the trike to our next door neighbors and they've used it for ~3year with their kids. It isn't "like new" but it still works fine.

• Like 1

We bought a Radio Flyer for DD when she was about 2. DS was outside riding on it this afternoon, eight years later. It's been well-loved, sometimes a little too much, IYKWIM. ;) It's still in great shape -- nice enough that I will probably hold onto it for any future grandkids.

It's like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-Classic-Dual-Tricycle/dp/B00004TXM7/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1448658049&sr=8-8&keywords=radio+flyer+trike

We too have the Classic Radio Flyer, about 8 years old and still being played with by my third child.  We bought it with the push bar, but it really wasn't necessary.

We have this one, and it's been great. I see that it has several negative reviews, but we haven't had trouble with it. I'm especially appreciative of the push bar--both my sons have wanted pushing while they learned to pedal. My oldest two had a tricycle without a push bar, so I am really appreciating the difference. The push bar saves my back!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003BWITGG/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1448663943&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=tricycle+with+handle&dpPl=1&dpID=41a7dLboY%2BL&ref=plSrch

Seconding the recommendation for a balance bike. We got one for my son when he was about 18 months and he has ridden it every day for two years! It is the best toddler toy we have ever purchased. I could do commercials for balance bikes. It took him a couple of days to get the hang of it, but he was soon flying around.

Seriously, I think they are the greatest invention ever.

• Like 3

Thirding the balance bike. We had a Strider, and it held up very well through a few years of use, and is waiting to be used by the next kid. 

Our biggest reasons for getting a balance bike was that it is safer than a trike or training wheels, and that it teaches balance - which will be useful once the kid is big enough for a pedal bike. When DS was ready to ride a 2-wheeler, he only had to take a few tries to learn how to pedal, and off he went. 

• Like 2

Mine got way more use out of the balance bikes than trikes, though they did enjoy both.  The balance bike was more fun outdoors and got many more years worth of use.  Trikes were strictly indoor toys - they weren't really usable on our gravel driveway and bumpy roads.

• Like 1

My little girl loves this: http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-Fold-Go-Trike/dp/B00667JT94/ref=pd_sim_21_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51mB2talZrL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1A4N5AP72P3R7YC6CJ46  A lot of tricycles are really meant for bigger kids, so this is great for the 2ish crowd. My daughter started to outgrow it the end of summer being nearly three, so we'll need to get a bigger one next year. Our neighbor girl has the same one who is several months older than dd.

Edited by LavenderGirl
  • Like 1

My little girl loves this: http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-Fold-Go-Trike/dp/B00667JT94/ref=pd_sim_21_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51mB2talZrL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1A4N5AP72P3R7YC6CJ46  A lot of tricycles are really meant for bigger kids, so this is great for the 2ish crowd. My daughter started to outgrow it the end of summer being nearly three, so we'll need to get a bigger one next year. Our neighbor girl has the same one who is several months older than dd.

Yes! I meant to say that when I linked to it, that it is a bit smaller and easier than the classic radio flyer. My kids aren't tall and this one they could pedal many months before they were able to reach the pedals on a regular one. Perfect for a 2 yr old, but my 3 yr old still uses it now and then. He has a "big bike" with training wheels but still loves this thing. 

• Like 1

Fisher Price Tough Trike. It isn't pretty, but all of my kids preferred it to the Radio Flyers (both the folding one and the larger ones), and the one with the rocket and push handle. This one is lighter, lower to the ground, and easier to pedal.

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Harley-Davidson-Motorcycles-Tough-Children/dp/B00FF2ZCGA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1448714520&sr=8-6&keywords=tough+trike

Edited by Desert Strawberry
  • Like 1

Thank you for all the replies! And it looks like I'm going to need to think about balance bikes. Once again, I learned something new from the Hive.

Have a look at some balance bike videos on Youtube.  They really are quite amazing. 

ETA:  I'd recommend metal instead of wood.  We had both.  The wood looks super cool but need more maintenance and isn't weatherproof or as durable.  Ask how I know:  My eldest cracked TWO wood balance bikes in half "doing tricks"..........

Edited by wathe
  • Like 1