Menu

Yikes! I need a formal dress?!

La Condessa

I thought I had it all worked out, how to keep the holidays within a much-needed budget. Now my sewing machine has died (I do think I have a source for a machine I can borrow, so as to be able to finish the Christmas gifts)--and I just realized that I have absolutely nothing I can wear to a wedding in a few weeks. It's for a work associate of my dh--aka, I really have to go, and I really can't just wear a normal Sunday dress.

What exactly does one wear to a formal occasion with business associates? And where do I find it as cheaply as possible? (It may also be relevant that we live in a tiny little town in the middle of nowhere. We will be going to the larger town up north on this Saturday, which will be my only opportunity to visit clothing stores before the wedding.)

The cheapest would be to check the larger town for consignment shops that either have or specialize in formal wear.  

I've found reasonable things at JCP and Belk.  It's the right season because they only have very much right before prom/wedding season and right before the holidays, but it does vary by location.  Both of those stores have LOTS of coupon deals, so look online for coupons before you head out.  If you are willing, signing up for a store card will often give you a large discount on that day's purchase.

If you lucky, you might have a high end outlet in town, like Nordstrom Rack.

As to what to wear: I always struggle with this.  I rarely wear anything but tennis shoes and casual clothes, so every time a formal thing pops up I'm completely unprepared (and have always changed sizes so previous choices will not work!)  I try to find something comfortable, because I'm already uncomfortable enough at these things.  And I try for understated, but elegant, hoping no one will notice me  :blushing:

Edited by Joules

Is it formal attire or cocktail? If it's formal, does your DH have a tux?

Borrow from a friend (even just accessories if you have a LBD)

Rent the Runway

Consignment stores

Macy's with all the sales and coupons

Nordstrom Rack

Marshalls/TJ Maxx usually have bunches of cocktail dresses now

• Like 1

Okay, the larger town has a Goodwill, a JCP, and a Marshall's, so places to check. (Thanks for the tip on the coupons.). Unfortunately, nothing like Rent the Runway. No TJ Max, Ross, Nordstrom Rack, or Target. I actually realized I didn't know whether it is formal or cocktail, I asked dh and he says nice semi-formal.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

• Like 1

semi-formal is SO much easier.  You just have to get really dressed up, not really, really dressed up.  And your dh won't need a tux, a dark suit is fine is fine for semi.

With semi-formal you have a lot more leeway in terms of dress length etc.  You will need a bit of bling and some nice shoes. If you have time, and you strike out locally, it can be worth it to drive a little way to find a Kohl's or a TJ Maxx.  My sister has found some absolutely amazing fancy dresses at TJs.

Have fun at the wedding!  I always like going to weddings where I am not intimately involved in all the details. It's fun to just go to a happy party.

I thought I had it all worked out, how to keep the holidays within a much-needed budget. Now my sewing machine has died (I do think I have a source for a machine I can borrow, so as to be able to finish the Christmas gifts)--and I just realized that I have absolutely nothing I can wear to a wedding in a few weeks. It's for a work associate of my dh--aka, I really have to go, and I really can't just wear a normal Sunday dress.

What exactly does one wear to a formal occasion with business associates? And where do I find it as cheaply as possible? (It may also be relevant that we live in a tiny little town in the middle of nowhere. We will be going to the larger town up north on this Saturday, which will be my only opportunity to visit clothing stores before the wedding.)

I'm a fan of really nice black dress pants.  You can put a sweater with for less formal, or an awesome blouse for more formal.  You can also put a simple blouse with it for funeral. 

You could also try the simplest black dress with a beautiful shawl or wrap.

ETA: I also wouldn't be above "getting the flu" and sending DH on his own.

Edited by TammyS