Menu

Advice for hard-to-clean kitchen surfaces

skimomma

I need some advice on how to approach the cleaning of parts of my kitchen that get a film of dust/grease.  The worst areas are the top of the fridge (which is next to the stove) and the top of the stainless steel fan hood.  I usually clean with non-toxic products but basic dish soap, baking soda, and vinegar are not even sort of touching it.  I have tried citrus-based degreaser and micofiber too.  The only thing I have had consistent luck with is magic-eraser type sponges but I have to go through 2-3 of them every time I clean these surfaces and it still is not easy.  Any tips?

NOT non-toxic, but the best kitchen degreaser is ammonia.  We moved into a home with a serious grease problem. (psa: do not rent a home sight unseen no matter how short notice the military gives you...)  I tried my usual things and nothing worked.  I thought Dawn dish soap would do the trick, but nope!  

I called my mom and she recommended ammonia.  I didn't even know where to find it at the store!  I mixed a sink full of water and ammonia and was able to clean the greasy kitchen in no time.  It was amazing!  If you decide to try it, make sure you have a fan on and wear gloves. 

• Like 3

I use comet and a green scrubbie on the range hood and pretend the top of the fridge doesn't exist until it's bad, the I use comet there too.

I have been a steadfast believer in the "doesn't exist" method but that ends up turning into the chisel-and-hammer method whenever a certain really tall friend is set to visit.

I'll try comet.  That sounds workable.

NOT non-toxic, but the best kitchen degreaser is ammonia.  We moved into a home with a serious grease problem. (psa: do not rent a home sight unseen no matter how short notice the military gives you...)  I tried my usual things and nothing worked.  I thought Dawn dish soap would do the trick, but nope!  

I called my mom and she recommended ammonia.  I didn't even know where to find it at the store!  I mixed a sink full of water and ammonia and was able to clean the greasy kitchen in no time.  It was amazing!  If you decide to try it, make sure you have a fan on and wear gloves. 

I'll try this if the Comet doesn't work.  I cannot stand the smell but it would be worth it if it works.

Just don't mix ammonia with bleach or anything that includes bleach. I feel like this is the sort of thing people used to know but don't now that no one uses straight ammonia any more. The advantage to the ammonia over Comet is that ammonia will not scratch your surfaces. Cause if there is anything that collects more grime than a refrigerator top, it is a scratched refrigerator top.

• Like 4

Ammonia is an amazing degreaser.  I use knitted dishrags and other rags for cleaning and I always put some ammonia in the wash to get them clean.

• Like 1

I really like 7th Generation Disinfecting Multi-surface Cleaner.

I clean my whole kitchen with it.

I think it cleans better than anything I've ever tried. It has some thyme-based cleaner in it.

I do use it on my range hood--but I spray that sucker almost every day. Ours (stupidly) doesn't vent outside; instead, it vents to the room.

And the top of the frig... :blush: I don't think I've ever cleaned it, in the 14 years we've lived here. (Maybe dh has...)