Menu

Where to donate sofa...

sheryl

We have a sofa we'd like to donate.   I called our church yesterday (Monday) and we do not have anything in place for something like this.  (We did have something a few years ago but it takes someone to manage it, etc).

We donated my dd's swingset a few years ago on craigslist or freecycle.  That's fine but it is disclosing our address to strangers which I'd rather not do.  But, I do want this to go to someone in need.

Goodwill, Salvation Army and such will pick up to re-sell.  (I don't know if G picks up but SA does, I believe).  

But -

I'm looking for an organization that will pick up and bless someone with it.  But, they have to make money for gas to pick up these items, so maybe an organization such as this doesn't exist???

Ideas?    Thanks!

P.S.  I thought of Am Vets.   If we do have someone to come by and pick up to re-sell, do you know how much they would sell it for?  I don't want it to be a financial burden to someone who REALLY needs a break.  HELP!

Honestly, I think you are creating a difficulty for yourself with all of your conditions.  If it were me, I'd just put it on the front yard with a free sign.  It would be gone by day's end.  And I'm willing to believe that anyone who would pick up a free sofa from someone's yard IS in need (of course, I also believe that of the the thrift store purchasers).  Don't turn getting  rid of a sofa into a job.

• Like 4

Tammy,   It's not hard work for me to do this but I get where you're coming from.  Here's why I won't do that though.  We have scavengers that make "runs" on trash pick up days.  They glean from the trash that is set out and re-sell it in their store.  I'd rather give to an organization. If I can't find anyone, I'll call bulk pick up.

Ethel - HFH.  Thanks.  We volunteered for a project.  I should have thought of them.  I'll check it out.

Umsami, like this idea!  We also volunteered at a refugee complex.  I bet this idea will work!   THANKS!

• Like 1

We gave beds once to a homeless shelter.  Another time, we called a thrift store that practically gives things away to low income families in needs.  Both places picked our items up. 

If you want to donate to college students who are almost always living on a shoestring, that's another thought.  You could hang up a couple posters at a local college?  (But they may not have a truck to pick it up.)

Or, if you have Facebook, you can advertise on Facebook that it is free to anyone who wants it, but of course only your friends would see it and know where you live.  My kids have have gotten furniture that way.

Or stick it outside with a "free" sign.

• Like 1

We have scavengers that make "runs" on trash pick up days.  They glean from the trash that is set out and re-sell it in their store.  I'd rather give to an organization. If I can't find anyone, I'll call bulk pick up.

Please reconsider. Why send it to the landfill just to make sure that it doesn't get resold?  

I definitely get that you'd prefer to give it away, but, if you can't make that happen, let it be scavenged and sold. It will keep it out of the landfill, help the person that buys it, and sure, help the person who sells it.

They might be making a profit, but I don't think anyone is out there making their fortune with a used sofa empire. If they are willing to pick it up and keep it out of the landfill, that's a win. It's still going to someone in need (because no one not in need is buying a used sofa). 

• Like 8

I'd just Craig's list or free cycle it so someone will pick it up. Your address isn't really a state secret. New people (including the guys driving the goodwill trucks) find out where you live every day.

Also setting it out for the scavengers seems like a good idea. If they need to do that to make a living, they seem worthy of the sofa to me.

• Like 5

There have been times when we could not afford a couch. For awhile we did without.

We had someone stop by and notice we didn't have a couch so they brought us one they were getting rid of. It was a nice gesture (except they were really proud of themselves for helping us poor people...ick) but the couch was bleh and we would have never picked it. It felt bad honestly.

Otoh, we once found a couch we loved and could afford at a thrift store...it felt great to be able to choose and purchase what we wanted.

Don't underestimate the value of the chance to purchase something for oneself.

• Like 4

You could call your local domestic violence agency.  There is a small possibility they have someone who will pick it up.  You never know, there might be a family who is moving out of the shelter and needs some furniture ASAP.  Or, they might need a new sofa in their shelter. The problem is the pickup.  There is a small chance they have someone who specifically volunteers to pick up large donations, but it's a long shot.

• Like 2