Menu

Travel addicts. Creekland??? Anybody else. Take a look at this!

FaithManor

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20151113-destinations-that-are-so-magical-they-hardly-seem-real

Have backpack, have passport, now I just need MORE MONEY! LOL

We really just need to sell the house and live in a tent or something. Probably the boys wouldn't appreciate the long term, primitive digs so that I can devote more money to exploring the globe.

• Like 4

Cool.  We plan to visit Barcelona in December.  :)

You know what was a pleasant surprise?  Southern Chile.  Really awesome.

Sounds Great! I'd love to no more about Chile when you have the chance. it is not a destination that I know much about, however I am always open to dreaming about new places!

• Like 1

I've been to The Sagrada Famila. It's really amazing. We were in Barcelona in 2002, which was the International Year of Gaudi. Some people had opened up their private homes and other buildings normally closed were made accessible. It was a great time.

One of the things we saw is something not often mentioned: Gaudi's string models, used for determining arches.

I wish I could go on a walking tour of the Lake District in England.

• Like 1

I couldn't see the article (it's not available in the UK) but the Lake District, though lovely, is really, really crowded.  I've not been yet because they idea of being in traffic queues (or walking queues) even in a lovely spot doesn't appeal.

I recommend The Highlands of Scotland.  So long as you go out of midge season (so not late June to September).

• Like 5

Those are some really cool pics!  

We have oodles of destinations on our bucket list.  I could travel 24/7 if we could figure out the finances.  Unfortunately, until youngest son graduates college and middle son graduates med school, we have to stretch our budget considerably to get travel in.  It helps that my mom loves to travel too and is willing to split costs, but I doubt we're venturing too far (aka overseas) for the next few years - esp since part of youngest son's college has him going to Greece in Jan.  I'm not complaining about that.  I'm very glad our kids are travel junkies too... That way they don't condemn our habit!  ;)  It does, however, pull significantly from our budget.

And people wonder why we spend $5 or so on lottery tickets when we travel.  It's a ton of fun to dream - even when we know it's just a dream!   :coolgleamA:

Meanwhile we get one more day on the beach here visiting youngest, then Wed morning at 7am I'm back at school (after arriving home around 10pm tomorrow night).  Fortunately, the school assignment is almost done.  I'll admit I was hoping the regular teacher would want to come back this week since I'm playing hooky today and tomorrow.  Oh well.

We have seriously contemplated selling the farm and living in a Class B or B+ RV...  We just need to wait for real estate prices to get back to where they need to be for our purposes.

I'll admit I'm glad my guys chose colleges further away so we get to visit them.  ;)

• Like 3

ps  The #1 place on our bucket list when/if we can ever afford it is Bora Bora and/or other islands (like Fiji) in the South Pacific.  Our "win the lottery" dream trip has us doing a comparison of all the islands over there so we know which ones to recommend when people ask.   :coolgleamA:

• Like 3

I've been to The Sagrada Famila. It's really amazing. We were in Barcelona in 2002, which was the International Year of Gaudi. Some people had opened up their private homes and other buildings normally closed were made accessible. It was a great time.

One of the things we saw is something not often mentioned: Gaudi's string models, used for determining arches.

That is The Coolest.  I'm sending the link to my architecturally-focused son.  We were in Barcelona a year ago -- FABULOUS CITY and loved the Sagrada and also the several Gaudi houses you can visit -- but I didn't know about the string models!

My Top Ten bucket list is constantly shifting, but Faroe Islands has remained secure for several years now... 

• Like 3

Raising my travel addict hand! I have been to three of those places (the tulip fields, the German castle, and the Sagrada Familia). Four if you count that I have been to the Norwegian Fjords. We are planning to get to the Faroe Islands at some point while we still reside in Denmark by taking an overnight ferry.

On my wish list for next year: Poland and Iceland.

• Like 3

Denmark and Faroe Islands is near the top of the bucket list. Dh's family is of Danish descent. Iceland was the middle boy's dream come true, and he worked to save almost half the cost of the trip so we could afford to take him. It was amazing!

Come to Denmark! Meet a boardie there!
  • Like 2

Come to Denmark! Meet a boardie there!

Thanks for the invite! I'd love to come.

After we get back from Egypt, we have a grandbaby making an appearance in February, so our next family vacation will be to the Schenectady NY area so the boys can meet their niece or nephew. We'll take them to Boston too. So our next big travel plans will have to be in 2017. We'll see what that year holds for us. With two boys in college, and a high school senior, I may end up paying enough tuition that my feet will be grounded from travel. I hope not. I kind of wither when I don't have an adventure to look forward to, and Denmark is a tippy top dream for us.

• Like 1

I now have another reason I shouldn't be working full time...  :hurray:

Hubby and I walked a mere 6 miles on the beach this morning - flat walking - beach - at max 3mph speed - and I manage to have the back of my hands all swollen/painful when we get back to our room.  We didn't even walk up the stairs this morning (7th floor).   :glare:  We usually do, but I've only done it once on this trip due to my mom being with us and/or needing to "get somewhere."

Working full time might keep me on my feet daily, but meandering around a classroom sure isn't keeping me in shape the way it should - and planning/grading has been taking away from our typical walks around the farm.

The conclusion, therefore, is obvious!  Must ditch working full time and travel more.  :coolgleamA:

• Like 2

One place that was not on my bucket list but should have been was Machu Picchu. It far exceeded my expectations. My travel bucket list is so long that I will have to live a very long time.

There are very, very few places I don't want to go.  Most of them are cities as we're more "wilderness and natural wonders" types of people.  Ancient sites count as super intriguing.

• Like 1

I now have another reason I shouldn't be working full time... :hurray:

Hubby and I walked a mere 6 miles on the beach this morning - flat walking - beach - at max 3mph speed - and I manage to have the back of my hands all swollen/painful when we get back to our room. We didn't even walk up the stairs this morning (7th floor). :glare: We usually do, but I've only done it once on this trip due to my mom being with us and/or needing to "get somewhere."

Working full time might keep me on my feet daily, but meandering around a classroom sure isn't keeping me in shape the way it should - and planning/grading has been taking away from our typical walks around the farm.

The conclusion, therefore, is obvious! Must ditch working full time and travel more. :coolgleamA:

This is purely rational. There can be no argument with this logic!

• Like 1

I want to travel again so badly, in my teens I got to visit several different countries and it lit a fire that hasn't gone out but right now we're trying to focus on paying off our house and letting our kids get a little older... Meanwhile my "bucket list" is growing by the mile. Bavaria is definitely on the list and the Faroe Islands look amazing! Machu Picchu is on both DH and my lists and more likely since DH wants to go to South America more than anywhere else since its the only continent he hasn't been to aside from Antarctica.

• Like 2

I couldn't see the article (it's not available in the UK) but the Lake District, though lovely, is really, really crowded.  I've not been yet because they idea of being in traffic queues (or walking queues) even in a lovely spot doesn't appeal.

I recommend The Highlands of Scotland.  So long as you go out of midge season (so not late June to September).

OK, never mind the Lake District. I don't mind crowds too much in general, but I mind them more in natural places.

The Highlands is another place, and I often entertain Wales as well.  Basically I want an uncrowded walking holiday in the U.K.!

• Like 4

I wish I had paid more attention but when I was living in Europe as a kid, I was not all that impressed by Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau - perhaps because they had always been there and history, the way it was taught, was rather dry...I always did like Herrenchiemsee because it was located in the middle of a lake. :)

These days, I am always looking for quiet, out of the way places to recharge my batteries. Norwegian fjords always sound good, of course. Seafood and water - what else could I ask for??? Perhaps a couple of days on Helgoland?

• Like 1