Menu

Can you set up a kindle, then "unregister" it from an Amazon account?

Dmmetler

I am considering a Kindle fire as a gift this year. I know on DD's plain vanilla Kindle I can add books to it on my account, then unregister it and the stuff stays there, and then add it back later (She went to a summer program that didn't want the kids to have anything that connects to the Internet, but allowed e-readers, so I unregistered it for that week). Can I do the same on the fire? I'd like to have it charged and at least a few free apps on it so it's a fun Christmas present as opposed to being something that needs to plug in, charge, and be set up before you can actually use it.

Why would you need to unregister it? When I'm not actively syncing my Kindle, I keep the WiFi connection turned off to save battery life. It can't connect to the Internet unless I turn the wireless connection on. (You can also turn off cell data.) I'm not sure I understand what the purpose of deregistering it would be unless you're planning to set it up under a new Amazon account after Christmas.

• Like 1

I assume you want to open it and set it up so you can load books on it but then not have it on your account? Otherwise I think you should just gift it new like others said.

This may have changed, but when we briefly had a Kindle, it always automatically downloaded absolutely everything on the account it was set up to. There was zero way to not have it sync (that's one of the reasons I ultimately asked the kids to sell it). Not sure what would happen if you de-registered it.

One potential solution *might* be to set it up as a child in your household account... that way you could set it up, put books on it as part of the gift (but not everything), and then give them the passcode to wipe it and start over when they're ready. But even that seems a little weird. I suppose it might work for a family member child like a niece or nephew to do that - your sibling or in-law could swap the password when you're ready. But it's awkward - until it's their own account, they wouldn't be able to add any content - not apps or books or anything.

I was thinking about having it set up and usable-the person who is getting it will be traveling over Christmas and will have limited connectivity, so with it pre-loaded, it could be used right away, while,otherwise, it would wait until they are home.

I think I'll see if I can have it shipped to a family member to set up-that way if they have a shared account it can start there.

The apps would be under your registration. You should be able to charge it beforehand without setting it up, but if you open it, it can't be returned. The person might get another one or not have use for one. Unless it's for your minor child, I'd leave it new in package.

• Like 1

If it's for a child, can you get the family's account info from a parent (and perhaps library card info) so you can have it ready to go?  I don't know the age of the recipient, but in a scenario like a long trip, it would be good for it to be "open-and-go" without the parent having to learn new technology en route.  If it's an older teen or adult, I agree that in many cases they'd want the fun of setting it up themselves - but perhaps you can prepare a list of links to books you think they'd like, apps that are fun/useful, etc. - the list could be emailed so they could click on the links?