Menu

S/O of laundry question: If you use natural detergent, what do you do about things like stinky undershirts?

ILiveInFlipFlops

I recent found that my "environmentally responsible" Costco laundry detergent (and the dish detergent too, dang it) gets an F rating on the EWG database  :glare: So I'm experimenting with a few different options that get better ratings. I've been very happy with the performance of the Ecover so far, BUT it leaves the armpits of DH's undershirts (and some regular shirts) stinky. 

I don't want to start washing on hot, so I'm wondering if others have found an additive that works for this kind of thing. Vinegar? Baking soda? Something else? 

TIA!

I spray pits with straight white vinegar.  If I am really on top of it, I pre-spray the night before I plan to do laundry.  If I could successfully train my dh (the owner of the stinky pits), it would be even better to just keep that spray bottle in the hamper and have him spray as he tosses, but so far it has not "caught."  Not has not leaving sweaty socks balled up, emptying pockets, and unrolling cuffs......grrrrr!

Also, I notice that t-shirts that are not 100% cotton seem to be the hardest to get clean.  Now that I know that, we try to avoid buying any.

• Like 1

Vinegar helped with stinky clergy shirt armpits; when we lived in south Florida, it was a necessity. But could you just rub a bit of your detergent right into the pit area of the shirt?

They're sleeveless, so that would be a pain. It would be easier to just snag them all into one vinegary load, I guess, if that would work. Hmm... Did you just pour vinegar into the wash water? Rinse water? Any idea how much?

I spray pits with straight white vinegar.  If I am really on top of it, I pre-spray the night before I plan to do laundry.  If I could successfully train my dh (the owner of the stinky pits), it would be even better to just keep that spray bottle in the hamper and have him spray as he tosses, but so far it has not "caught."  Not has not leaving sweaty socks balled up, emptying pockets, and unrolling cuffs......grrrrr!

Also, I notice that t-shirts that are not 100% cotton seem to be the hardest to get clean.  Now that I know that, we try to avoid buying any.

Oh, that would never happen here either. The balled up socks drive me crazy, as do the inside-out shirts. Now I just fold them however they come out of the wash. He swears he doesn't take his shirts off like that, but I'm pretty sure the washer is not turning ONLY his items inside out  :glare:

• Like 1

Mrs. Meyers has low ratings. :( So does Ecos.

I guess I am in the market as well for a better laundry detergent.

I bought Ecover Lavender Field (liquid, smells SO good) and Seventh Generation Citrus and Wild Lavender (powder), both of which had pretty good ratings on both EWG and Amazon. So far I've only tested the Ecover (hence my laundry threads today), but I'm happy with the exception of the armpit issue. If I can solve that, I'll be very satisfied. It looks like I'm going to get about 40 loads out of the Ecover, which cost $15 for the bigger jug. I can't comment on the Seventh Gen yet. 

I also bought Biokleen oxygen bleach, but I have to use that sparingly because it causes the eczema sufferers in the house to flare. It works well though!

FWIW!

Update when you get a chance! I had the same experience with Biokleen, so it sounds like our households have similar issues.

I sure will! They react the same way to washing soda, which is sodium carbonate, and that's the main ingredient in oxygen bleach, so homemade laundry detergent was a fail here unless I wanted to rinse everything twice (which I WILL sometimes do in a pinch, if it's something that will be close to their skin and that I need deep cleaned). But I don't want to do it with every load!

I use Ecos and put vinegar in every load (in the rinse where fabric softener would go). If I wanted sweat stains out as well as odor, I would spray them with white vinegar--my aunt does this even with regular laundry detergent.

The only odor issue we've had so far is for musty dishrags (everything where we live mildews fast), so we nuke those in the microwave while wet, and then put them in the wash (or hang to dry until wash day).

Mrs. Meyers has low ratings. :( So does Ecos.

I guess I am in the market as well for a better laundry detergent.

I don't know what EWG is, but I use so little detergent per load I am doubtful it matters much. Seriously, one bottle lasts me a year (I date my bottles and it's almost always exactly 12 months). And it works so well I don't need to use bleach or anything toxic, so whatever ratings its failing, hopefully it even out. :)

I found that soaking stinky workout clothes in warm water and detergent before washing really helps get the stink under control. When I had a top loader, I would just let the washer fill and agitate enough to mix things up, then stop the machine. Now that I have a front loader, I have soaked like this in a bucket or a sink.

For front loaders, running a cycle with vinegar in the soap dispenser helps to degunk any residue in the pipe.  Vinegar also helps rinse away dog hairs from my clothes.  So, I figure an occasional load that gets an extra cycle with just vinegar is win-win.  

I use homemade detergent and haven't had a problem with DH having stinky pits.  

I think we have hard water, but I'm not sure.

I've mentioned it to him, thinking that he might be a clueless college-aged male who thinks that "borax" is the store brand of Tide, but he knows what it is and makes sure we don't run out. It would be just as easy to pick up Tide and Downy if he had a problem with my hippie handmade laundry supplies.

I forgot to mention that this is Army Dude who is usually at the gym when he's not at work or "practicing blowing stuff up" for the National Guard, not a couch potato with a desk job.

I think we have hard water, but I'm not sure.

I've mentioned it to him, thinking that he might be a clueless college-aged male who thinks that "borax" is the store brand of Tide, but he knows what it is and makes sure we don't run out. It would be just as easy to pick up Tide and Downy if he had a problem with my hippie handmade laundry supplies.

I forgot to mention that this is Army Dude who is usually at the gym when he's not at work or "practicing blowing stuff up" for the National Guard, not a couch potato with a desk job.

I know what you mean.  DH's soccer clothes sometimes get washed twice.  They are so gross I refuse to touch them, and instead make sure the washer is empty when he comes home, and it is his job to put them in the washer.  Then I wash them.  Then I reach in to get them out and with the front-loader I'm not 100% I did wash since they are as wet after a wash as before.  

Baking soda is supposed to help with the hard water too.