Menu

Read Aloud for 5th grade boy (and the rest of us)

Ottakee

I am thinking that now that fall/winter is coming I would like to do a read aloud with our foster son.  He is 12 but in the 5th grade with about a 4th grade reading level.   My goal would be to read a bit every day but it might not be every day given his visit and other schedules.

I would also have my girls listening in (older teens but about a 10-12 year old level interest wise) and my son (again 10-12 year old interest level).

What are some good books to look at?  It has been a lot of years so there might be new ones out there.  Free Kindle would be great but I can use the library, etc. as well.  If I could start with something fairly short that might be best to get him used to being read to.  My first thought was Stone Fox but his teacher did that one last year.

Ds loved My Side of the Mountain and Hatchet at that age. Rascal? From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Franksomething, A Wrinkle in Time, Bridge to Terabithia. Ds also really loved The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy around that age. I would also consider the Harry Potter series.

• Like 1

http://smile.amazon.com/Little-Britches-Father-Were-Ranchers-ebook/dp/B00B5KV9J0/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1446999572&sr=1-1&keywords=father+and+i+were+ranchers

Ralph Moody wrote an entire series of Little Britches books about his growing up a century  ago, first on a ranch, then later in a huge old house after his father died.  Great life lessons, and fun to read.  Note the later books, when Ralph is more grown-up, may be better for older teens.

For that age, too, Island of the Blue Dolphins is a winner.