Menu

Klonopin UPDATE in original post

Cottonwood

After 5 days of anxiety attacks, I finally crawled into the drs office and he prescribed me the lowest dose as needed but said I could take two a day. I'm going to use it as needed. I read the side effects and am doing a little research before taking it. My friend says its highly addictive and so do some sources onlne. Doc says as needed its not addictive. I know everyone is different but what has been your experience?

UPDATE:  So before bed last night I was quite anxious so I took the recommended .5 mg before bed.  I felt mildly spacey it did NOTHING for the anxiety.  I ended up taking 1/4 of a benadryl to get to sleep.  I slept pretty good but woke up real anxious so I called the nurse.  She said to take 1 mg and see how I did.  It did knock the anxiety down quite a bit I was still pretty uncomfortable.  I laid around till about noon and tried not to think about much to give my brain a rest since I think that's part of the problem.  Around noon I got up and started trying to engage with the kids and started feeling really calm and havent needed any since.  Closer to bedtime I might need something, but I'm going to try to get by with Benedryl to sleep and maybe, hopefully wake up calm.  If not, the I'll take the 1 mg and see...

The nurse seemed pretty puzzled that the 1 mg didn't really control the anxiety.  Almost like she'd never heard such a thing.  She said I could split it up any way I want but can't take more than 2 mg a day.  

In a week I have an appt with a therapist and maybe we'll switch things up.  It just doesn't seem like enough help. 

Benzodiazapines are in the controlled substance class for a reason. If you are only taking them as needed, it should not be an issue.

I have user klonopin myself years ago. I used the lozenges that dissolve under the tongue. They were a bit too strong for me and I just had to curl up and take a nap. However, I was calm. The first time to try one, don't plan on being anywhere so that you can gauge how they will affect you.

Yes it is addictive. However for severe anxiety that happens then is over, it might be worth it for you. Just be aware that it is addictive and only use it in dire situations. 

Also don't forget that alcohol is addictive too. Many turn to alcohol when they have anxiety and not all of them turn into lushes. 

I would disagree about only using it in dire situations.

My brother-in-law uses it every night to sleep.

A friend uses it occasionally for anxiety.

Another friend uses it to help her with PMS nightmares.

They all have been fine using it as prescribed for many years.

Thanks everyone.  I'm going to stick to periods of uncontrolled anxiety during this rough patch I'm in.  I'm going to take 1/2 of one tonight about 2 hrs before bed to see how I react to it.  The script was actually written for 1 tablet twice daily, which puzzles me because the Dr told me one lasts for 36 hours.  In any case, I'm never going to have to suffer for 5 days again......

After 5 days of anxiety attacks, I finally crawled into the drs office and he prescribed me the lowest dose as needed but said I could take two a day. I'm going to use it as needed. I read the side effects and am doing a little research before taking it. My friend says its highly addictive and so do some sources onlne. Doc says as needed its not addictive. I know everyone is different but what has been your experience?

Unfortunately, Doctors, including Psychiatrists but especially GP's do NOT have sufficient medical info on addiction.

Klonopin IS a risky drug in that regard. But, regardless, addiction is about the individual's response to the substance (a physiological need for MORE) rather than the drug itself. That is why alcohol (or other substances) create different use patterns.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. I'm going to stick to periods of uncontrolled anxiety during this rough patch I'm in. I'm going to take 1/2 of one tonight about 2 hrs before bed to see how I react to it. The script was actually written for 1 tablet twice daily, which puzzles me because the Dr told me one lasts for 36 hours. In any case, I'm never going to have to suffer for 5 days again......

For seizures, I find klonopin wears off faster than other drugs. 36 hours sounds wrong, but maybe it's way different for anxiety use. It's the only drug dis has ever had to take 3x a day, because it wears off so quickly.

I take it as needed, and usually a "month's" supply, 30, lasts me about six months. I rarely take a whole onee, even though mine is the lowest.

I've taken it the same way.....as needed (1/2 or even 1/4 of a tablet) for panic attacks during PMS. So a total of about 5/month. I've been doing this for almost 10 years.

the Dr told me one lasts for 36 hours.

:lol:

It may take 36 hours before it's mostly gone out of your system (since it has a long half-life compared to most other benzos), but it certainly does not 'last' for 36 hours (unless you're very weird). I was having a rough time the last few days, so I took one yesterday morning, another one yesterday afternoon (because the morning one obviously didn't last for 36 hours), and was contemplating whether I needed another one yesterday close to bedtime (because the afternoon one obviously didn't last 36 hours either), but ended up settling on just trazodone (a tricyclic antidepressant that works as a sleeping pill).

The klonopin and trazodone are 'as needed', I also have my daily citalopram (an SSRI, for depression issues - some people say SSRIs help with anxiety, but I have never noticed any benefit from them wrt anxiety), and a low dose of buspar (anti-anxiety, can't take a higher dose due to side effects).

I make sure to not take klonopin daily for long stretches of time to avoid the potential of addiction (plus, the side effects of long term usage are not pretty to look at - but if you need it you need it). That said, when I was first prescribed klonopin, the plan was for me to take it twice a day for two weeks or so (iirc), which I did, and doing that helped knock my anxiety levels down to a more normal base line (it worked kind of like a reset). After that, I went for a long time with quite infrequent use of klonopin. Recently my anxiety has been ramping up again though.

My current diagnoses are depression and generalized anxiety disorder, and the depression is pretty well under control, but the anxiety has always been a bigger issue (I think the depression is partially caused by excessive anxiety).

Anyway, as a side note, if you take a benzodiazepine daily a while, you cannot just quit cold-turkey. Apparently some doctors are dumb enough to not mention that, but my wife was on a benzo prescribed by a doctor before I met her, and she decided one day that she didn't need it anymore, and last had a seizure (at a water park at that - obviously, she did not drown, but she was hospitalized). So, anyway... sudden discontinuation can cause seizures.

I have thought of that. I wonder if I didn't give Xanax enough time either. A couple times I took it before bed and woke up anxious, only to start feeling calm around 10 am. Of course I got up and immediately thought it didn't work if I woke up anxious since its only supposed to have a 4 or 6 hr life, or so I've heard. I guess I'll keep trying the klonopin sparingly.

I agree with SeaConquest. Ativan is the best for me, too.

Have you considered asking about the type that dissolves under the tongue? It works quickly.

Last, did your dr know you are mixing Klonopin with Benadryl? That seems like a dangerous combination.

ETA: You dont have to answer that last question. It's not my business. I was just concerned.

I agree with SeaConquest. Ativan is the best for me, too.

Have you considered asking about the type that dissolves under the tongue? It works quickly.

Last, did your dr know you are mixing Klonopin with Benadryl? That seems like a dangerous combination.

ETA: You dont have to answer that last question. It's not my business. I was just concerned.

Lol I appreciate your concern! Yes he said it works on completely different area of the brain and said he has many patients with anxiety and allergies that use both meds.