Menu

Chattanooga or Gatlinburg for visit...

bettyandbob

2-3 days in March. This a little add on to a yearly visit to old family friend. We like aquariums. Both places look like they have a decent one. I actually don't need to visit an aquarium in either place, but I always notice that as an option.

I was planning on Gatlinburg, but Chatanooga looks more interesting. I'm afraid if I went to Gatlinburg I'd feel compelled to go to Dollywood and I don't think that would be great at that time of year. Just expensive.

So, anyone been to both. Can you compare? This would be me, 18yo dd, 14yo ds. Ds has intellectual disabilities. He can go on short hikes, but is a slow walker do our pace anywhere is slower than what most people handle. He is also afraid of heights, which makes going downstairs very slow and rules out some scenic overlook or other viewing from heights.

Hmmmm.  I live in Atlanta and have been to both several times.  I would prefer Gatlinburg because of the hiking, but if that isn't a great option for you, I might defer to Chattanooga.  Here are the attractions I've enjoyed in both places:

Chattanooga:  the aquarium (I like this one better than Galinburg's, but both are nice), the Incline Railroad (this might not be good for your son if heights are a problem--it is a train straight up the side of a mountain; a modestly-sized mountain, but still a mountain), Ruby Falls (this is an underground waterfall--you take a crowded elevator down into the mountain, but I'm sure they would give you a private ride down if crowds are a problem for your son) and Rock City (cheesy but kind of fun; extensive walking not required), and a boat ride on the Tennessee River (pricey but pretty).

Gatlinburg:  hiking, the aquarium, the craft loop (not as good as it used to be, but still fun if you like to shop for crafts), more hiking.  Lots of the spots in the park are drivable, though--Cataloochee (where the elk are), the grist mill, Cade's Cove (if he can bike or be pulled on a bike, this is open to bike traffic and closed to car traffic two mornings/week, which is a fabulous way to see it).

Chattanooga has better restaurants.  Gatlinburg restaurants are largely awful.

ETA:  Gatlinburg has an indoor water park now.  Maybe that wold be an option?

• Like 1

I've been to both but may not be the best source for comparison as we tend to go for short visits and haven't fully explored either location. The TN Aquarium is very nice and can easily take half a day to visit. The other nearby attractions--Rock City, Ruby Falls, Inclined Railway--are also fun but pricey. Ruby Falls requires walking through a cave to get to the falls and the group is expected to move along at a particular pace,but it's a leisurely pace with stops along the way.  Rock City is a nice walk at your own pace. There are a couple high spots--one is a rope bridge but IIRC you can take an alternate walkway--but there is usually room to stand away from the lookout points. The Lookout Mountain Inclined Railway is all about being able to see the whole city from a high point.

We've been to Gatlinburg several times but have never felt compelled to go to Dollywood so we've never been. Perhaps others can fill you in on the tourist-y attractions. We go for the Smokies! I'm not so sure the park would be great for visiting in March, though. Depends on the weather. If the weather is good there are a couple easier hikes that lead to waterfalls. And the scenic lookouts are awesome! (Ok, I just looked up the two hikes I thought were nice--Laurel Falls and Grotto Falls--and they're 2.3 and 2.6 miles long.)

I like Gatlinburg for the Smokies but as to the town, I find Chattanooga to be easier on my senses. After typing all this I see I'm not being much help. :D  Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

I think the weather is not going to be warm enough to enjoy the short hikes ds can handle. I think Gatlinburg would be better in summer for him.

When we take this annual trip, The add on destinations we've done has always been a historic location we can explore on foot (Charleston, Savannah, Atlanta, St. Augustine). Even though these are definitely tourist destinations, I've been able to avoid the most kitschy stuff. Our family friend is outside of Beaufort, SC so, I've been seeing things off our direct route there or within a 4 hour radius.

It sounds like Chatanooga will fit our needs a little better. Thanks everyone!

• Like 1

When we take this annual trip, The add on destinations we've done has always been a historic location we can explore on foot (Charleston, Savannah, Atlanta, St. Augustine).

At the top of Lookout Mountain is Point Park Battlefield. It's a few dollars for admission and makes for a nice visit. We didn't get to see the visitor's center but just the views, monuments, cannons were enjoyable enough.

• Like 1

I've never been to Chattanooga, so I can't help you with a comparison. But I will give you a tip about Gatlinburg. Unless they have changed their policy since we were there two years ago, you can get a significant discount on admission to the aquarium if you show them proof that you are homeschoolers. We showed them a copy of the notification letter from our school district.

• Like 1

I used to live in Chattanooga and now live about 45 min from Gatlinburg so I can offer opinions on both.

Chattanoogas aquarium is definitely the better of the two. It is 2 buildings - one freshwater and one saltwater. We would usually go to one in the morning, eat lunch somewhere fun downtown, and them go to the other building. However, it is expensive and they do not offer a homeschool discount. There are other fun things to do that have already been mentioned.

Gatlinburgs aquarium is not as big as Chattanooga but they do offer a homeschool discount. If you show proof of homeschooling you get $7 admission per person. Depending on when in March you are going, Dollywood may not be open for the season so you may be able to take that out of your consideration. However, if it is open, they usually do their Festival of Nations around that time and it is really fun. They have food and performers from various countries. We usually go at least once during Festival of Nations and count it as a school day. Also, Cades Cove is fun and doesn't require a lot of walking which makes it great for any time of year. You drive an 11 mile loop and there are various spots along the way where you can get out and walk to old cabins, churches, etc. There is a waterfall hike off the loop as well that is 2.5 miles and is really pretty. Usually we see deer, bear, and other wildlife as well.

• Like 1