Menu

Gift suggestion for 14 year old niece?

Alicia64

I have boys and no idea what to get my 14 year old niece for Christmas.

We're on a real budget this year. Normally I send her a Sephora gift card with more money on it than we can ever afford, but this year I'm tapped out.

She's pretty spoiled money-wise, goes to public school and is likely 14 going on 18. I haven't seen her in years b/c they live many, many states away and my sister and I don't really get along.

But I like to send gifts to my niece and nephew. The nephew I can do, but the niece?

I was thinking of sending a movie dvd: Thirteen Going on Thirty with candy and popcorn. It's an older movie so I'm assuming she hasn't seen it.

Any other ideas? I'm trying to keep it to $25 plus I'll have to mail it. My sister is a money-person and clearly thinks we should all be spending big. But they have two incomes.

Thanks for any ideas!

Alley

How about movie tickets wrapped with a bag of popcorn? They're cheap from Costco if you have a membership. That way she can go out with a friend...

Or how about a book or two? You can carefully choose something interesting or new.

It sounds like the goal is really to check this off for your sister. If she's a big money person, you likely won't impress her no matter what you get. You might consider going with something homemade. At least then it says, I thought about you.

• Like 1

It's tough because it sounds like you don't know your niece very well. Do you know if she has any hobbies or if she collects anything? Is she artistic? Would she like an iTunes gift card and a new set of earbuds?

I wouldn't buy her the DVD because at 14, she might find it dated rather than funny.

• Like 1

Yep, can't go wrong with iTunes or Amazon gift cards.

Failing that, just because she's well-off doesn't mean she can't be an interesting person. I understand if you haven't got time for thoughtful gifts for all the nieces and nephews, but if you have, I wouldn't write off a good book. My step-daughter is well-cared for and into all kinds of public school stuff like cheer, dances, and music of course, 14-going-on-18 describes it perfectly, but she is also thoughtful and appreciates a well-thought-out gift like a special book, or a little piece of art.

You never know... she might rebel against her mother's materialism.

• Like 1

On that note...

this may go without saying but if you are unsure just send a gift receipt along with the item. Preferably from a store near her.

Love the Alex and Ani bracelet idea, but another dumb question: are girls today more into gold or silver, (I ask because I prefer silver and I know it really matters to people.)

Thanks!

Alley

Another dumb question: how do you buy the main bracelet and then individual charms?

Very new to this. Boys don't want this sort of thing at all!!!

Thanks for all the help!

Alley

Everything is already attached to the bangle. You don't swap out charms. You stack a few (or not). http://www.alexandani.com/bangles/anchor-charm-bangle.html That one comes with the main anchor charm and the three little doohickey charms.

We have a family full of teen girls (my daughters and nieces).  Gift cards to the movie theatre have been a HUGE hit with all of them.  I usually wrap it up with some of the movie theater sized candy.  My 15 year olds requested them again this year.  

Jewelry would be extremely hit or miss with my group.  Only one or two of them would really like a bracelet like that.  

• Like 1