Menu

Transcript by subject: yep, one of the colleges has requested a new one stating what year each class was taken

katilac

Silly state uni creating extra work for me! Everyone else has taken the subject transcript with no questions or problems at all. 

This school is pretty low on her list right now, but it's a strong safety for a lot of reasons so I'll have to do the revision. 

*sigh* 

Silly state uni creating extra work for me! Everyone else has taken the subject transcript with no questions or problems at all.

This school is pretty low on her list right now, but it's a strong safety for a lot of reasons so I'll have to do the revision.

*sigh*

Can you add a column to the subject transcript that gives the year of completion and the grade when completed? Maybe that would be less of a revision.

• Like 3

Can you add a column to the subject transcript that gives the year of completion and the grade when completed? Maybe that would be less of a revision.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I was even lazier than that and didn't bother to add a column. 

It just went from "French 1" to "French 1; 9th grade." 

• Like 2

I'm embarrassed to admit that I was even lazier than that and didn't bother to add a column. 

It just went from "French 1" to "French 1; 9th grade." 

I was going to suggest something like adding (9th) or (10th) after each title cause I wouldn't want to mess with adding another column either.

• Like 1

*sigh* 

I too had planned for a subject transcript originally but when I checked our state school, it stated that they wanted a transcript by year.  So I went with transcript where courses are grouped by subject down the left column but then the other columns listed each grade. It shows which course was taken in a particular grade.

We can't skip the state school.  If ds gets scholarships, it may be the cheapest.  However, it's also ranked in the top 10 for Engr, so we'll see.  We did joke that may be we should drop it because it is the only school on ds' list that requires the Common App.

• Like 2

Just write it in and fill in the date as if you were operating on a standard high school year. No one will take the time to sort out or make sense of Alg 1 7th and 8th grade, started geometry summer of 8 th grade , finished middle of 9th  or whatever. Assign your credits to a year and don't fret. The important thing is that it was completed and your child is ready for college. 

Spin off: why do they care when it was learned, as long as it was learned?

I've never understood that.

Because it tells a story.  Geom/Alg2/gap/AP Stats, combined with French1/French2/gap/French3 and Bio/Chem/gap/Physics etc. tells a very different story than the same courses with staggered gaps.  To answer "how successful will this student be in our program", it's useful to understand the student's previous progress record.  The "gap" student might actually be a better candidate than the staggered student, depending on the reason for the gap.  (If the "gap" student was ill, for example, but carrying a full load the other three years, that's different than the student who took a lighter load each of four years.)

Also, state schools, because they have to be careful to evaluate each candidate objectively so as not to introduce (or appear to introduce) bias against one group or another, tend, as I understand it, to have a more formulaic process (one point for this, two for that, admission goes to top scoring students) than private schools which can be more subjective in their selection.  The more formulaic approaches tend to have more rigid rules, I'm guessing, because they have to have the right data to plug into their formulas (thus, class rankings of "1 out of 1" being needed for the formula even though they sound silly).

• Like 2

Because it tells a story.  Geom/Alg2/gap/AP Stats, combined with French1/French2/gap/French3 and Bio/Chem/gap/Physics etc. tells a very different story than the same courses with staggered gaps.  To answer "how successful will this student be in our program", it's useful to understand the student's previous progress record.  The "gap" student might actually be a better candidate than the staggered student, depending on the reason for the gap.  (If the "gap" student was ill, for example, but carrying a full load the other three years, that's different than the student who took a lighter load each of four years.)

This. When the courses were taken over the four years is important information. A heavy load freshman year tapering off to a light load in the senior year means something, for example. 

Just in case anyone else is considering transcript formats, I thought I'd mention that I organized my son's transcript by subject and included a column that showed the date (month and year) when each course was completed. He applied to 11 schools, was accepted at nine, and none of them asked me to revise the transcript.

I'm thinking this is the ideal way to do it . . . but it was prettier the other way!  

• Like 1