Menu

Can the PSAT be repeated?

sheryl

• Kids can take it sophomore year and junior year, but it's the junior year only that counts toward possible National Merit scholarships. My dd will take it here the 28th as a sophomore just to see what it's like--she should do much better as a junior when she's had more of the math. 

My daughter took the psat Oct. 2014.  She didn't do "great" on it.

Can she take it again this month as a junior?

Also, when is the ACT and SAT recommended? 

Sheryl, if you go ask your question on the high school board, you'll get the latest and greatest--lots of data--from a lot of experienced moms who have BDTD.  You might even get some from your area who can tell you where to have your dd take the ACT and/or SAT. 

I used to have all this stuff down pat, but mine are a few years out, so I'm not confident that things are exactly the same.  :-)

Best of luck!

We live in a large metro area.  At one point, the PSAT was offered by several of the community colleges in the area.  It was counterintuitive that they would do so, but they did.  One can find a geographical listing on the CollegeBoard website of all the PSAT sites, but like a previous poster said, sometimes there is a cutoff date since school have to order the number of tests to administer.  That was one of the advantages of taking it at the local CC, there was no early cutoff date.

Thanks, everyone!

I made some calls to several schools today (public, private, homeschool-friendly) and found at least 2 schools with seats available.  Many people are not in b/c it's Columbus Day, but many were in.  I'm excited that I was able to get her in.

• Like 3

I plan for DD to take it next year, when she is in 10th grade, for practice. And then in 11th grade.

NOTE: In another thread, someone mentioned that the new PSAT has part of the Math test that prohibits calculators. That may prove very interesting to students whose instructors do not require them to write out their work.

Thanks you all.  Lanny, actually calculators are allowed (4 function).  It can NOT be a calculator app on a mobile phone but a hand held calculator only unit.  I'm surprised by that but will not question it.   :)

What Lanny was referring to is a new change that starts this fall- the calculator will only be allowed on one portion of the math test. 

• Like 2

• Kids can take it sophomore year and junior year, but it's the junior year only that counts toward possible National Merit scholarships. My dd will take it here the 28th as a sophomore just to see what it's like--she should do much better as a junior when she's had more of the math.

Is this new? They've been having them start taking it in 8th grade here if Honors students. The high schools give it to all students. Starting as a sophomore has not been the norm.

Is this new? They've been having them start taking it in 8th grade here if Honors students. The high schools give it to all students. Starting as a sophomore has not been the norm.

No, not new.  Most places have always given it to 10th and 11th graders.  SOME places have always given it to more grades.