Menu

To color or not - hair question

Miss Marple

OK, I'm just really bored with my hair.  I'm 53.  Is that too old to do some eggplant lowlights?  I have very dark brown hair which has turned more salt/pepper esp. around my face, but the back is free from white/grey/silver. My skin tone is such that I look best in black/white/red/navy/bright pink.   I have a nice updated cut but I'm still bored with it.  I've never colored my hair...I'm not trying to hide the grey, but I think it might be fun to do something different.  However, my hair grows quite fast.  I've never been one to spend much time on myself mostly because I had all these boys to take up my time.  Now I'm finding time, I'm back in the workforce, and I just feel the need to spice things up a bit.  Am I having a midlife crisis?!?  I certainly don't want people to think that.  I enjoy change...I found myself needing change in curricula quite often, I like to rearrange my furniture...I just want to do something different.  

So:  Am I too old for a little color?  Will I regret having to keep it up?  Here's a link to a pic that I like (and my hair is similarly cut with the bangs a bit shorter - and my hair isn't that full)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/63/2e/7f/632e7fe1a13039284c86e717cf1de8d4.jpg

It looks great, but yes, you will regret having to keep it up. But then you will remember that you don't have to keep it up, after all, you are keeping it up because you like it.

Go for it and if you don't like it, slowly fade back to salt and pepper.

Good luck to you!

• Like 1

I would go for something like that if I had the time and money to try different things. I think it looks cool.

I dye my own using a mix my stylist came up with from Sally Beauty Supply, but it's pretty close to my natural color. My stylist didn't recommend going much further from that unless she was involved, and I trust her judgement.

Most of my 50-something friends are going gray. I feel younger with my natural color and prefer the texture of colored hair. So unapologetically, I'm still coloring.

Why not? If you hate it your hair stylist will probably be able to correct it. Some people with darker hair can do henna as well which is more natural. I cannot use henna because my medium blonde hair would turn orange...:) I am not willing to go that far.