Menu

Any suggestions for front loader washer/dryer?

1GirlTwinBoys

No advice on brand as I have had quite a few and all were adequate. Nonetheless, you may already know this, but clean the gasket after every use of the washer, leave the door open between loads, and use those packets for regular cleaning once a month. Front loaders are a pain.

• Like 2

You may have a specific reason for wanting a front loader, but I have one and would recommend a top loader. It doesn't drain completely, and it gets moldy. We do try to do all the things that Minnie suggested, but it's a losing battle.

No advice on brand as I have had quite a few and all were adequate. Nonetheless, you may already know this, but clean the gasket after every use of the washer, leave the door open between loads, and use those packets for regular cleaning once a month. Front loaders are a pain.

• Like 1

I never clean the gasket unless I see something in it (usually a dime or penny that was left in a pocket).

I do leave the door open, just as I always did with top loaders.  Any machine that has had any water in it ideally needs to be allowed to dry between uses.

I use bleach to do a "clean machine" cycle after I wash pet bedding, which is the same thing I did when I had a top loader. Many people don't seem to be aware of it, but top loaders should be cleaned periodically, too.  My mom taught me how to do that when I was in junior high.

• Like 1

Another vote for LG.  

If you've got a Best Buy near you, you can see if they have any floor models / scratch & dent ones online - go to best buy.com > Store Locator > enter your zip code, then click on the store name.  One of the options on the left will be "Open Box & Clearance Items".  We got our last few appliances (all well-rated on Consumer Reports, just last year's models) this way.

I would highly recommend you stay away from Sears.  We're going on the fourth month of trying to get a refund for an appliance we bought there that was pretty much destroyed in shipping.  Horrible customer service!

I'm not sure why you want a front loader (I'm in loooove with my new Speed Queen top loader), but aside from a front-loading Speed Queen, I would recommend a European model.

Europeans have been making and using front loaders for decades, and they know how to do it right (as opposed to the HE junk we're typically sold over here).

Fagor and Miele are a couple good brands off the top of my head.

Practical tips. Try loading and unloading it in the store. If the display is sitting on a stand and you are able to load it comfortably, then be sure to buy the same stand to put it on at home.

Says the lady who has sat on a low stool to unload her front loader for the last ten years bc she was too cheap to buy the stand when she bought the washer.

Leave the door open between washes to let it dry out. Check the gasket after each wash for escaped socks and coins. Check pockets for pencils BEFORE washing because sharp objects require a $150 repair when they tear the gasket. If you use powder soap, take out the soap dispenser and clean it once in a while (same as a top loader).

I love ours. It uses less water and the clothes come out less wet after the wash which means less drying time. Sanitary wash for pet bedding is a positive delight.