Menu

Roses delivered to a 4thgrader

lynn

Yep, I picked ds up early or a dentist appointment and the florist delivered a rose arrangement with happy birthday balloons for a 4th grade student. I thought the receptionist was going to cry as she told me her dh never sends her flowers but this 4th grader got some.

I'm sure someone will say, "sweet" I say ridiculous. First, getting flowers is nice, but overrated. Can you imagine the level of expectation that may bring!?!?!?

:lol: I sound so serious and I really don't care about the flowers. I actually feel for the secretary. Remind her that her dh works hard b/c he loves her and provides her with much more Lasting reminders of his love....

I wonder what the rest of the story is on this. Seems odd to have flowers delivered to a school for a little girl's birthday. As for the flowers themselves, I bet the little girl was thrilled. We did that for my DD once (pink sweetheart roses, delivered to our house) and she was thrilled.

Flowers are nice, but they don't thrill me because I forget about them (they become part of the scenery) and they die. I'd rather DH bring me a new book, which he does from time to time.

I wish women who do love to receive flowers all had husbands who pampered them with flowers.

RC

I can't say that I see anything wrong with that. :001_smile: Maybe the little girl just adores flowers and this was the best gift her parents/grandparents/whoever could think of sending. Maybe it was from out-of-town relatives who have a hard time getting something in the mail, but could easily order flowers to be delivered? Or maybe her parents just really want to make her feel special?

Getting expensive roses is not my first choice for a gift, as they quickly fade and die and the money is just gone. I prefer lasting gifts, or chocolate! But I do love having live flowers in the house, either from the yard or an inexpensive (four dollar) boquet from the grocery store. Something about having fresh flowers in the house makes me feel cheerier.

My grandma periodically receives flowers from her son and grandchildren who live clear across the country and aren't able to visit frequently. It's their way of saying that they remember her and are thinking of her. She absolutely loves it. She lives by herself (but is in a nursing care center right now recovering from a fall), and it really brightens her house to have some flowers from a far off loved one.

I hope this doesn't come out harshly (because I don't mean it that way at all), but I think that sometimes we (me included! :D) judge people too quickly based on our own experiences, ideas, or rules for living. I imagine that those flowers really meant a lot to that little girl.

I do feel sad for the secretary. I wonder if her dh even knows that she would love to get flowers. Maybe it has just never crossed his mind.

I remember getting flowers delivered to school as an elementary student and it was so cool. It was fairly common when I was in school.

My step-daugther also sent flowers/balloons to friends through middle and high school. I think it is a nice way to awknowledge the day without buying more cheap tacky junk.

I think it's sweet.

I see how it might make the secretary sad - or the other students for that matter. And I understand it could be disruptive to school and that maybe the school wants a policy on having things delivered to class.

But I think that the gesture was darling and her father probably just had an impulsive desire to make her feel especially treasured. Maybe the cost of those flowers is completely trivial to the father, so why shouldn't he? There are people who don't really get intol flowers, and people who would spend their last dollar on them. I have no desire to judge either way of thinking.

for her 16th birthday, along with her gift, and she cried. It was the first bouquet of roses she'd ever gotten. (In hind sight I wish I'd have thought to ask her dad if it would be OK, and give him the chance to do it--he is a thoughtful dad, just not necessarily in that way.)

When my own dd turned 16 we threw her a surprise sleepover party with her very bestest friends, got her an elegantly-decorated bakery cake and a lovely, two-dozen bouquet of roses, from Wallyworld no less! They were lovely, and she dried them. The whole idea was to celebrate her *growing up*, and it really worked!

I'm all for roses, and I'm glad her first ones were from her dad (and me).

4th grade? Hmmm...

I remember getting flowers delivered to school as an elementary student and it was so cool. It was fairly common when I was in school.

My step-daugther also sent flowers/balloons to friends through middle and high school. I think it is a nice way to awknowledge the day without buying more cheap tacky junk.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

My nieces and nephews go to the private school that my siblings and I attended. There is a constant battle to determine who has the most money, the best house in the best neighborhood, what car etc, etc.

In order to keep one little niece at the top of the (snarling, nasty, counterfeit) pack, my sister brings elaborate gifts to her at school on her birthday during lunch hour. This supposedly shows how much she is loved and cherished, and that her daddy can afford xxxx or yyyy.

I think it's awful, I couldn't believe my sister would do this. I wouldn't at all be surprised if they sent her flowers to the school.

My nieces and nephews go to the private school that my siblings and I attended. There is a constant battle to determine who has the most money, the best house in the best neighborhood, what car etc, etc.

In order to keep one little niece at the top of the (snarling, nasty, counterfeit) pack, my sister brings elaborate gifts to her at school on her birthday during lunch hour. This supposedly shows how much she is loved and cherished, and that her daddy can afford xxxx or yyyy.

I think it's awful, I couldn't believe my sister would do this. I wouldn't at all be surprised if they sent her flowers to the school.

I suppose the motivation makes a difference. I don't think a gesture like this is necessarily done to "show off". I have never laid eyes on the family referred to in the OP, nor do I know a thing about the "culture" at their school, so I would I would be reluctant to judge them in this way. I know my Daddy could have easily been the one sending the flowers, and he is unpretentious as they come.

I suppose the motivation makes a difference. I don't think a gesture like this is necessarily done to "show off". I have never laid eyes on the family referred to in the OP, nor do I know a thing about the "culture" at their school, so I would I would be reluctant to judge them in this way. I know my Daddy could have easily been the one sending the flowers, and he is unpretentious as they come.

True, but I know my old school. It's purely a one upmanship thing. I've heard the moms actually plotting how to show up the other girls. It's sick.

I'm sure you know your sister, so if you say that she's just trying to "one up" some other child and her Mom, I believe you.

But I see no reason to assume that every parent or grandparent who would think to send flowers as sort of an "over the top" show of affection is motivated by such pettiness. Some people are just extravagent. I can easily see a clueless Dad not really thinking about how the flower delivery might disrupt class or make other children feel and just think, "I want something my daughter will always remember." Which is sweet, if not really well thought out.

I can understand a bit from my sis's point of view. According to our unspoken school rules, she was in all the right groups, clubs, neighborhoods, church, country clubs, cheerleading etc, etc, etc, and she was still mercilessly bullied by one or two of the top dogs. I was off and married at the time but from what I know it was pure h3ll for her all through school. She wants to do everything in her power to insure her only dd doesn't go through what she did.

But what she doesn't get is that it's just no good to play those games. That's the way that town works. Very socially conscience. I'm just thankful I'm not there. I can't do it.

Chances are the little girl was turning 10 and her parents wanted to give her an extra special b-day gift to celebrate it. I would do the same for my dd, ds just spent his 10th birthday in disneyland, I think buying a bouquet of flowers to be delivered to make her feel extra special is worth it.

As a school I think delivering them to the little girl just before recess and then suggesting they keep the flowers in the office until the end of the day, lets her have her moment but also keeps the flowers safe, prevents possible allergic reactions to students in the class and cuts down distraction would be a suitable way to handle it.

for her 16th birthday, along with her gift, and she cried. It was the first bouquet of roses she'd ever gotten. (In hind sight I wish I'd have thought to ask her dad if it would be OK, and give him the chance to do it--he is a thoughtful dad, just not necessarily in that way.)

When my own dd turned 16 we threw her a surprise sleepover party with her very bestest friends, got her an elegantly-decorated bakery cake and a lovely, two-dozen bouquet of roses, from Wallyworld no less! They were lovely, and she dried them. The whole idea was to celebrate her *growing up*, and it really worked!

I'm all for roses, and I'm glad her first ones were from her dad (and me).

4th grade? Hmmm...

DH always gets me flowers for my birthday and anniversary and he wants to start the tradition with baby girl, she'll be 3 in october and dh plans to get her flowers. Now I don't know about sending them school when she gets older vs having them where she can see them when she first comes through the door.

I have no problems whatsoever with a 4th grader receiving flowers for their birthday. I have a problem with them being delivered to the school. This is no different than bringing their gift into the school for them to open just so everyone else can see what they received. If the point is to give the child flowers, why can they not be delivered to their home. The only point in delivering them to the school is to show everyone else what they are receiving. I think that is tacky. If you really want to let people know it is your birthday, bring cookies for the class. Of course, some schools don't allow that either. Most teachers do acknowledge birthday children in elementary school.

I have no problems whatsoever with a 4th grader receiving flowers for their birthday. I have a problem with them being delivered to the school. This is no different than bringing their gift into the school for them to open just so everyone else can see what they received. If the point is to give the child flowers, why can they not be delivered to their home. The only point in delivering them to the school is to show everyone else what they are receiving. I think that is tacky.

Do you think it would be tacky to send flowers or gifts to your spouse's workplace on his birthday? Would you object to recieving a gift yourself in this manner? Don't you think this surprise presentation can enhance the gift and make a person feel more special?

Do you think it would be tacky to send flowers or gifts to your spouse's workplace on his birthday? Would you object to recieving a gift yourself in this manner? Don't you think this surprise presentation can enhance the gift and make a person feel more special?

To a workplace, somewhat the same. A person in a private office, not at all. Would I object to receiving a gift in this manner, hey, I don't really object to receiving gifts.:lol: But, I do feel that receiving gifts in a classroom situation is inappropriate and disruptive. In some office situations it would be the same; in others it would not. Does the surprise presentation make the person feel more special? Probably. It just isn't something that I feel is not appropriate for a school situation.

Editing to add: My feelings on this topic are coming from having been a teacher who had to deal with balloons and flowers being delivered to children. Some parents may have had good intentions, but the competition that it caused was horrific. It is better to keep the gifts out of school.