Menu

Book a Week 2015 - BW39: book news

Robin M

I was thinking about House Of Leaves again today and remembered that his sister put out an album that goes with it. I *loved* the album when I was in high school so I figured I'd mention it to those who might want to listen to it if you're going to be reading House Of Leaves. It is on Spotify for free if anyone's interested. 

He also did something like that with his book The Fifty Year Sword. I wonder if he does that for all his works?

Psssst, Angel. Tag! You're it. (I finished Brave New World this evening. I had a lot of downtime for reading today. After all my reading drought in the past many months, it's nice to be back in a reading groove.) No rush, though. We'll have fun chatting after you read it. I will say that I did not look up the list of reasons why it was banned/challenged until I finished the book; actually, I was surprised how short the list was (compared to some other 'classics', including Slaughterhouse-Five, that have ended up on the same list).

• Like 10

I finished Pygmalion. There is no Ascot opening day, but the same dialog occurs elsewhere. The ending is slightly different from the movie. There is an afterward in which Shaw reveals what happens to Eliza later. I was disappointed in that, but it is fairly realistic. Professor Higgins is still profoundly irritating. It is my personal opinion that the movie lifted this play to sublime heights. Of course that may have something to do with my teenage desire to be a beautiful singing and dancing Audrey Hepburn, even after I found out that wasn't really her singing.

I've moved on to The Ghost in the Dead Man's Library ( A Bookshop mystery). Not quite as fluffy as pumpkin muffins...

ETA: Because there is no horse race in the play, one of the movie's most memorable lines is not included. "Come on Dover, come on. MOVE YOUR BLOOMIN' ........!"

• Like 10

Psssst, Angel. Tag! You're it. (I finished Brave New World this evening. I had a lot of downtime for reading today. After all my reading drought in the past many months, it's nice to be back in a reading groove.) No rush, though. We'll have fun chatting after you read it. I will say that I did not look up the list of reasons why it was banned/challenged until I finished the book; actually, I was surprised how short the list was (compared to some other 'classics', including Slaughterhouse-Five, that have ended up on the same list).

I picked it up and started it yesterday.   :eek:  is my first impression.  How in the heck do I not remember this book?  I remember other books from high school vividly.  I was more of an ostrich in my younger days than I am now. (I know, I know, is that even possible?  Um, yes!)   Could I have simply blocked it out?  And I think that is all only from chapter 1  :D   I'll keep you posted!

• Like 10

Aly is listening to 4:50 From Paddington while running.  She's never read an Agatha Christie.  She wanted And Then There were None but it wasn't available.  She has played the 4:50 from Paddington computer game so it was a good choice.

I read this last month and enjoyed it a lot!  I love how our library keeps adding all of the newer edition Agatha Christie books in hardback, so I'm trying to read through them.  And Then There Were None will always be one of my favorites!  

• Like 9

After an insanely busy yet glorious few days, I have a day off. O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

Thanks to all that busyness I have very little reading to report other than a delightful Inspector Montalbano mystery, Game of MIrrors. Just the right amount of fluff to sink into -- lighthearted yet a good mystery, quite the cast of characters, and mouth watering descriptions of meals. 

• Like 10

After an insanely busy yet glorious few days, I have a day off. O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

Thanks to all that busyness I have very little reading to report other than a delightful Inspector Montalbano mystery, Game of MIrrors. Just the right amount of fluff to sink into -- lighthearted yet a good mystery, quite the cast of characters, and mouth watering descriptions of meals. 

OK, I'll admit it.  I read/listen to Montalbano mysteries for the food.  I love how he comes in from a helluva day to find some amazing dish in the oven with an equally amazing salad in the fridge.

• Like 8

I picked it up and started it yesterday.   :eek:  is my first impression.  How in the heck do I not remember this book?  I remember other books from high school vividly.  I was more of an ostrich in my younger days than I am now. (I know, I know, is that even possible?  Um, yes!)   Could I have simply blocked it out?  And I think that is all only from chapter 1  :D   I'll keep you posted!

Angel, I'm proud of you for stretching yourself! Or letting Stacia stretch you, she's good at that!   ;)  :D If I could read Memoirs of a Porcupine, you can make it through BNW!  I'm looking forward to chatting about it, I just re-read it a couple of months ago. I'm also waiting on Slaughterhouse-Five to come in from the library.

• Like 11

I finished a couple of re-reads, both historical romances, both of which I enjoyed.

The Heir  by Grace Burrowes

"An earl who can't be bribed...

Gayle Windham, earl of Westhaven, is the first legitimate son and heir to the duke of Moreland. To escape his father's inexorable pressure to marry, he decides to spend the summer at his townhouse in London, where he finds himself intrigued by the secretive ways of his beautiful housekeeper...

A lady who can't be protected...

Anna Seaton is a beautiful, talented, educated woman, which is why it is so puzzling to Gayle Windham that she works as his housekeeper.

As the two draw closer and begin to lose their hearts to each other, Anna's secrets threaten to bring the earl's orderly life crashing down-and he doesn't know how he's going to protect her from the fallout..."

and

Love in the Afternoon  by Lisa Kleypas

"As a lover of animals and nature, Beatrix Hathaway has always been more comfortable outdoors than in the ballroom. Even though she participated in the London season in the past, the classic beauty and free-spirited Beatrix has never been swept away or seriously courted…and she has resigned herself to the fate of never finding love. Has the time come for the most unconventional of the Hathaway sisters to settle for an ordinary man--just to avoid spinsterhood?

Captain Christopher Phelan is a handsome, daring soldier who plans to marry Beatrix's friend, the vivacious flirt Prudence Mercer, when he returns from fighting abroad. But, as he explains in his letters to Pru, life on the battlefield has darkened his soul--and it's becoming clear that Christopher won't come back as the same man. When Beatrix learns of Pru's disappointment, she decides to help by concocting Pru's letters to Christopher for her. Soon the correspondence between Beatrix and Christopher develops into something fulfilling and deep…and when Christopher comes home, he's determined to claim the woman he loves. What began as Beatrix's innocent deception has resulted in the agony of unfulfilled love--and a passion that can't be denied…"

I always enjoy the epistolary part of this book.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

I was thinking about House Of Leaves again today and remembered that his sister put out an album that goes with it. I *loved* the album when I was in high school so I figured I'd mention it to those who might want to listen to it if you're going to be reading House Of Leaves. It is on Spotify for free if anyone's interested. 

Oooh. I hadn't heard about this. Off to check it out.

It's a gray and chilly day here and DS is sick. We're canceling swim today (outdoor pool) and reading + watching the rest of Ian McKellen as King Lear. After watching a (decidedly post-modern) version Sunday, the kids were asking for something a bit more traditional. I think it's good for them to see contrasting versions. and I'm happy to watch.

DH has left town so my reading has really slowed down.

• Like 9

Angel, I'm proud of you for stretching yourself! Or letting Stacia stretch you, she's good at that!   ;)  :D If I could read Memoirs of a Porcupine, you can make it through BNW!  I'm looking forward to chatting about it, I just re-read it a couple of months ago. I'm also waiting on Slaughterhouse-Five to come in from the library.

You read Memoirs of a Porcupine? :bigear:

Hey, now. Going back to Brave New World.... It was Angel's pick. Here's what I knew about it beforehand:

1. It's considered a classic & is often on mandatory reading lists for high schools.

2. It has been banned &/or challenged at various times.

3. That it's dystopian.

4. That Huxley experimented a lot/was big into hallucinogenic drugs. (I learned that when I read a Timothy Leary biography called I Have America Surrounded. Btw, it looks like that book is free for kindle unlimited people.) I wondered if this would be a theme &/or reflected in the writing.

5. That I should read The Tempest first because Rose told me to. :laugh:

And, sadly, that's really all I ever knew about Brave New World.

After reading, I learned the book was written in the 1930s. (I would have originally guessed maybe the 1950s?) And, according to some bio info in the back of the book, Huxley didn't get into mind-altering drugs until decades after writing Brave New World.

I must admit that I was a teensy bit :blink:  when I started reading it (so I figured Angel might be :eek: :eek:), so Angel's definitely the one stretching me on this go-around.

:lol:

• Like 11

You read Memoirs of a Porcupine? :bigear:

Hey, now. Going back to Brave New World.... It was Angel's pick. Here's what I knew about it beforehand:

1. It's considered a classic & is often on mandatory reading lists for high schools.

3. That it's dystopian.

4. That Huxley experimented a lot/was big into hallucinogenic drugs. (I learned that when I read a Timothy Leary biography called I Have America Surrounded. Btw, it looks like that book is free for kindle unlimited people.) I wondered if this would be a theme &/or reflected in the writing.

5. That I should read The Tempest first because Rose told me to. :laugh:

After reading, I learned the book was written in the 1930s. (I would have originally guessed maybe the 1950s?) And, according to some bio info in the back of the book, Huxley didn't get into mind-altering drugs until decades after writing Brave New World.

I must admit that I was a teensy bit :blink:  when I started reading it (so I figured Angel might be :eek: :eek:), so Angel's definitely the one stretching me on this go-around.

Yes, but I give you credit for the Banned Book challenge!  I think it's a great idea. I know I've read a lot this year I wouldn't have touched if it weren't for you guys.

Yeah, Memoirs was an odd read for me.  I wasn't sure exactly what to do with it so it's kind of still skittering around inside my head.  

• Like 8

An author recommended by Pam is one of the MacArthur genius grant recipients for 2015.  He is Ta-Nehisi Coates and the book is called Between the World and Me.  Coates is a journalist who works for The Atlantic.

I am hoping that Pam is impressed that I remember she is the one who recommended Between the World and Me.  But I must confess that I have created numerous library lists entitled "Pam's recs" etc. in order to help me give credit where credit is due.  At my age, one needs some memory aids.  ;)

• Like 9

Oh good. At least that matches what I thought you would say.

Like Stacia said, it was my pick  ;)   I had read it my senior year in high school.  Obviously, I don't remember it  :D  It's actually my 3rd banned book this month (To Kill a Mockingbird and Fahrenheit 451 being the other two).  I have been trying to do a banned book a year since we did the 8/8/8 challenge (hmm, at least I think that was the one...Wow!  i can't believe that has been that long!). 

After this one I'm done "being stretched" for a while  :rofl:   I'm going to get down to some fluff!!

3. That it's dystopian.

5. That I should read The Tempest first because Rose told me to

I knew the bolded.  And once I started reading it, I checked to see when it was written right away.  I was shocked that it was written in the 1930's!  I fell asleep while reading today.  And it got definitely more  :eek:.  

• Like 10

Like Stacia said, it was my pick  ;)   I had read it my senior year in high school.  Obviously, I don't remember it  :D  It's actually my 3rd banned book this month (To Kill a Mockingbird and Fahrenheit 451 being the other two).  I have been trying to do a banned book a year since we did the 8/8/8 challenge (hmm, at least I think that was the one...Wow!  i can't believe that has been that long!). 

After this one I'm done "being stretched" for a while  :rofl:   I'm going to get down to some fluff!!

I knew the bolded.  And once I started reading it, I checked to see when it was written right away.  I was shocked that it was written in the 1930's!  I fell asleep while reading today.  And it got definitely more  :eek:.  

I sure hope my post came across as supportive, as intended, and not patronizing!  I have been really challenged by some of the things that I've read this year, and definitely stretched.  I found Murakami to be a real stretch, and CS Lewis, too, as well as the good old Porcupine.  In looking at my goodreads list I see I've read a lot more modern/contemporary fiction this year than I've read in a long time, and that's not my usual genre either, at least outside the sci-fi/fantasy realm where I feel really comfy.  It's been good for me, though.

• Like 8

For lunch I was eating left over butter chicken and naan, both of which my husband made earlier this week.  Since there was still some naan remaining, I suggested he have a piece with some jam.  He said that "Naan and Jam for Frances" just doesn't sound right.  I suspect if Albert had some as part of his lunch, he could make it all come out even.  (Any other Russell Hoban Frances fans out there?  If so, a slightly early "Happy Thursday" to you.)

I'm currently midway through and enjoying Wreckage by Emily Bleeker.  (Some 8,000 plus people on Good Reads rated it as four or five, so I'm clearly one of a crowd.) I'm not sure quite how to classify this, or where the story is going.  It's has a mystery aspect to it.  Rather than being a 'who done it?', it's more of a 'what happened?'

"Lillian Linden is a liar. On the surface, she looks like a brave survivor of a plane crash. But she’s been lying to her family, her friends, and the whole world since rescue helicopters scooped her and her fellow survivor, Dave Hall, off a deserted island in the South Pacific. Missing for almost two years, the castaways are thrust into the spotlight after their rescue, becoming media darlings overnight. But they can’t tell the real story—so they lie.

The public is fascinated by the castaways’ saga, but Lillian and Dave must return to their lives and their spouses. Genevieve Randall—a hard-nosed journalist and host of a news program—isn’t buying it. She suspects Lillian’s and Dave’s explanations about the other crash survivors aren’t true. And now, Genevieve’s determined to get the real story, no matter how many lives it destroys.

In this intriguing tale of survival, secrets, and redemption, two everyday people thrown together by tragedy must finally face the truth…even if it tears them apart."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

An author recommended by Pam is one of the MacArthur genius grant recipients for 2015.  He is Ta-Nehisi Coates and the book is called Between the World and Me.  Coates is a journalist who works for The Atlantic.

I am hoping that Pam is impressed that I remember she is the one who recommended Between the World and Me.  But I must confess that I have created numerous library lists entitled "Pam's recs" etc. in order to help me give credit where credit is due.  At my age, one needs some memory aids.  ;)

Have you read this one yet, Jane? If so, what did you think of it?

I read it this summer. I think it's an important book to read in today's America, but at times I felt as if I were treading into private space, reading stuff that really wasn't meant for me. I actually found that angle of it uncomfortable. Maybe that's because it was a letter to his black teenage son & so it wasn't meant for me, kwim? I wasn't the intended original audience & parts of it were so private, imo. But, it *is* also meant for me because it can push me into a place that I haven't ever been. This was the book that I said I had a hard time rating because rating it or telling others to read it because it's the 'hot' item might diminish the message? I didn't love it (some parts were boring while others transcendent) but I do think it has something important to say to us right now as we move forward as a country, as a people. And I am very glad I read it.

I fell asleep while reading today.  And it got definitely more  :eek:.

How does that even happen??? I do not understand. This does not compute for me.  :confused:  :tongue_smilie:  If you're reading something that makes you go :eek: , how do you fall asleep during that?!

(In reality, I'm a terrible sleeper & wish I could fall asleep easily or while reading or something....)

Yeah, Memoirs was an odd read for me.  I wasn't sure exactly what to do with it so it's kind of still skittering around inside my head.  

I sure hope my post came across as supportive, as intended, and not patronizing!  I have been really challenged by some of the things that I've read this year, and definitely stretched.  I found Murakami to be a real stretch, and CS Lewis, too, as well as the good old Porcupine.  In looking at my goodreads list I see I've read a lot more modern/contemporary fiction this year than I've read in a long time, and that's not my usual genre either, at least outside the sci-fi/fantasy realm where I feel really comfy.  It's been good for me, though.

I didn't remember that you found Murakami a stretch, Rose!  Porcupine is definitely a stretch in some ways; I had to stretch myself because of the content (the coldness of the violence), though I was totally fine with the porcupine narrator. :D I did love that it showed me a mix of folklore/fable/village life in the Congo.

Really, you have to read our chameleon friend. You must!

I guess I can say I stretched myself a few weeks ago when I delved into those romance books I had on my kindle. Lol. (Btw, I looked through various additional books I had on there, skimmed some, etc.... I've decided that what probably makes a contemporary romance work for me is a couple that is equal intellectually/professionally & that the relationship occurs under an umbrella of mutual fun/attraction with neither having other commitments or relationships going on with someone else. What I did *not* like in some of the ones I skimmed were unequal couples [rich boy/poor girl/etc], relationships undertaken for revenge or for personal gain at the cost of another, people who get drunk/trashed often in the story, etc.... So, I think I have narrowed the window of what I enjoy within the 'contemporary romance' category. Probably summed up as mutual fun/attraction/love between equals.)

• Like 8

For lunch I was eating left over butter chicken and naan, both of which my husband made earlier this week.  Since there was still some naan remaining, I suggested he have a piece with some jam.  He said that "Naan and Jam for Frances" just doesn't sound right.  I suspect if Albert had some as part of his lunch, he could make it all come out even.  (Any other Russell Hoban Frances fans out there?  If so, a slightly early "Happy Thursday" to you.)

I'm a huge Frances fan!!! She captures the sensibility of my youngest dd so well.  I also like to make it all come out even.  :D

• Like 6

I didn't remember that you found Murakami a stretch, Rose!  Porcupine is definitely a stretch in some ways; I had to stretch myself because of the content (the coldness of the violence), though I was totally fine with the porcupine narrator. :D I did love that it showed me a mix of folklore/fable/village life in the Congo.

Really, you have to read our chameleon friend. You must!

I guess I can say I stretched myself a few weeks ago when I delved into those romance books I had on my kindle. Lol. (Btw, I looked through various additional books I had on there, skimmed some, etc.... I've decided that what probably makes a contemporary romance work for me is a couple that is equal intellectually/professionally & that the relationship occurs under an umbrella of mutual fun/attraction with neither having other commitments or relationships going on with someone else. What I did *not* like in some of the ones I skimmed were unequal couples [rich boy/poor girl/etc], relationships undertaken for revenge or for personal gain at the cost of another, people who get drunk/trashed often in the story, etc.... So, I think I have narrowed the window of what I enjoy within the 'contemporary romance' category. Probably summed up as mutual fun between equals.)

I think that MR is a genre that I can appreciate, but not really enjoy.  Murakami, Calvino, and the various South American MR writers are things I've read more because I should than because I want to.  Although I just can't do Borges.  I have tried several times, and just can't do it.

Porcupine was a stretch for exactly the reason you articulate.  I was cool with the porcupine too, but I was trying to understand if I should be reading this as some kind of legit folktale or if it was more of a postmodern satire.  Really, it's my own ignorance about sub-Saharan African writers and culture speaking here.  I have read and really, really enjoyed Cry the Beloved Country and Things Fall Apart, but those are more a response/clash/relation between the authentic culture and the colonizing culture, so at least I know how to approach it. With Porcupine, I felt like I was watching a party I didn't really understand how to interpret. Does that make any sense?

What is the chameleon friend??? I'm always open to must-read suggestions from you!!!

• Like 7

With Porcupine, I felt like I was watching a party I didn't really understand how to interpret.

That is the best description, ever, of a book!

What is the chameleon friend??? I'm always open to must-read suggestions from you!!!

He's Pam's favorite friend of course! ;)

9781416573517.jpg

The Book of Chameleons by Jose Eduardo Agualusa.

• Like 8

I just came across this extremely short story by Andy Weir, author of The Martian.  It's a free read.

The Egg by Andy Weir

And, if you want to read it in a different language ~

Author's Note: The Egg is also available in the following languages:

Arabic
Bulgarian
Chinese
Croatian
Czech
Danish
Dutch
Esperanto Estonian
Finnish
French
German
Greek
Hebrew
Hungarian
Italian Japanese
Korean
Lithuanian
Macedonian
Norwegian (Bokmål)
Norwegian (Nynorsk)
Polish
Portuguese (Portugal) Portuguese (Brazil)
Romanian
Russian
Spanish
Swedish
Turkish
Vietnamese

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Good morning everyone.

I finished D.E. Stevenson's Miss Buncle Married (1936) and found it to be not as good as the preceding Miss Buncle's Book (1934), but that is often the case with sequels.  My Flufferton Abbey friends will greatly enjoy Miss Buncle's Book.

On several occasions when we have discussed the quality or lack thereof in children's literature, Nancy Bond's books are mentioned as shining examples of the former.  As everyone knows, I am a huge fan of A String in the Harp.  Eliana has mentioned another of Bond's books, Another Shore, as one of her favorites.  I have pulled that out of my library bag.

I also plan on reading an item purchased at last weekend's library book sale.  Maybe Rosie can tell us more about Australian author Thea Astley.  The book that I have is called A Boat Load of Home Folk.  Wikipedia reveals that when Astley died in 2004, she had won more Miles Franklin Awards than any other writer.  Miles Franklin?  This is a major literary prize in Australia named after the author of My Brilliant Career.  Stop the bus!  I adore the film version of My Brilliant Career and never realized that there was a novel from which it was derived. 

We may speak the same language, but I sometimes feel that Australia is on another planet.  Or maybe the US is on another planet?  We are certainly isolated from writers outside of our borders.

• Like 8

Late last night I finished Wreckage by Emily Bleeker which I mentioned several posts up.  I enjoyed it, and it certainly had me guessing for quite some time.  I spoke about with it my husband a few times bringing up various scenarios as to what might have happened to the characters in their time on the island.  Some aspects of the story strained credulity, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

"Lillian Linden is a liar. On the surface, she looks like a brave survivor of a plane crash. But she’s been lying to her family, her friends, and the whole world since rescue helicopters scooped her and her fellow survivor, Dave Hall, off a deserted island in the South Pacific. Missing for almost two years, the castaways are thrust into the spotlight after their rescue, becoming media darlings overnight. But they can’t tell the real story—so they lie.

The public is fascinated by the castaways’ saga, but Lillian and Dave must return to their lives and their spouses. Genevieve Randall—a hard-nosed journalist and host of a news program—isn’t buying it. She suspects Lillian’s and Dave’s explanations about the other crash survivors aren’t true. And now, Genevieve’s determined to get the real story, no matter how many lives it destroys.

In this intriguing tale of survival, secrets, and redemption, two everyday people thrown together by tragedy must finally face the truth…even if it tears them apart."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Sitting down for a second before rushing off to get more things set up in the sukkah and do some more food prep...

Well, I didn't get very far!  Now I'm trying to finish this off before getting back to catching up on schoolwork (mostly mine - my term started this week & I'm missing 4 days in these first two weeks, including two labs, for the holidays...)

Two major completions of last week are both thanks to BaW folks:

The Painted Alphabet by Diana Darling (thank you, Pam!): This is an interesting blend of pieces - mythological, religious, and folkloric were all fairly expected, but the glimpses of traditional Bali encountering the modern world were an interesting addition and made me think more about each strand... and about the author, an American who has been living in Bali for the past decade-ish.  The epic on which it is (loosely?) based seems to be most often encountered as a performance... which is done of multiple days and integrates music and dance.  I finished the book wanting to read the 'epic' it was drawn from, but it looks as if that is not possible.  I do want to learn more about Balinese culture and mythology now - does anyone have any suggestions?

In The Footsteps of Marco Polo: (thank you for the inspiration, Stacia!) The photographs are stunning and it was an interesting follow-up, but I felt it was most interesting as its own travel experience.  I felt the attempts to link to Polo were strained and relatively shallow and needed (for me at least) more substance than a 'hey this looks like it might be what this quote was referring to' and I can't give their intuitions any credence for evaluating how much of the Polo narrative was based on first hand experience as opposed to stories he heard from other travelers.  ...but as its own story I was fascinated.  Yes, as Stacia noted, the writing is not very polished, but how many real-life stories can we find (complete with gorgeous photos!) about two guys traveling through Afghanistan... not journalists with a press crew or embedded with the military, but two guys who connect as individuals with the people they encounter... 

...though, Stacia, I too could not stop thinking how impossible a comparable journey would have been for two women.   

Other reads:

I started Alexie's short story collection The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven quite a while ago, but finally finished it last week.  These are hard stories to read - it is hard to see this level of pain, to really look at what some Native experience are like in our own time... to really think about the long-term (to this day) impact of the history of European settlement and expansion on the Native tribes.  I know my exposure to modern Native literature is very scanty (this is sounding a great deal like my musings on my inadequate readings in African American lit...) partly because I've known that I would encounter pain and anger and injustice and partly because my modern lit reading has been slight.  Stacia, since you appreciate the Hughes, you might appreciate this too.

Another one you might enjoy: The Tale of the Unknown Island by Jose Saramago.  It is a tiny fable-like story by a modern Portuguese author whose books I have been meaning to try.

I finished at least four (I wasn't keeping notes) Yom Kippur related books last week (The First Ten Days, Return: Daily Inspirations for the Days of Awe, Tsohar by Rebbe Nachman, and Yom Kippur: Season of Atonement)  All of these, and others I read only bits of, contributed to a very intense Yom Kippur experience... I am still trying to process and integrate it all.

And I completed Viking Adventure (a readaloud for my little guy): I've never loved Bulla's stories, but the better Viking related chapter books I have aren't very 5 year old friendly... 

I just finished the first book in Jodi Taylor's St. Mary's time travel series. These were mentioned by Sadie a few week ago as being favorite books. It was a good interesting read. Really enjoyed it and have already requested the rest. I can't get the half books (probably novellas) but found a library with the others.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25876872-just-one-damned-thing-after-another

• Like 6

My book club has been delayed for a week or two, so before diving back into Slaughterhouse-Five, I've started reading Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino -- the last of my planned Marco Polo books to read. It's lovely & dreamy so far. Really a beautiful follow-up & variation on Marco Polo's narrative.

Eliana, I'm like you in wanting to read the epic behind The Painted Alphabet. I came to the same conclusion as you -- that it's not available, which is too bad. I found the story a really nice one & thoroughly enjoyed it. If you do dig up any further Balinese resources, please be sure to share titles!

I enjoyed your comments on In the Footsteps of Marco Polo. I do think these guys did link into Marco Polo, but I think the effect of thinking they didn't (or that it was weak) was a result of the choppy text. What a grand adventure, what amazing photos, really what a feat they did.

I will look up the Saramago one. I read his book All the Names quite a few years ago & really enjoyed it. I've been meaning to visit some more of his work at some point.

• Like 8

I just finished the first book in Jodi Taylor's St. Mary's time travel series. These were mentioned by Sadie a few week ago as being favorite books. It was a good interesting read. Really enjoyed it and have already requested the rest. I can't get the half books (probably novellas) but found a library with the others.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25876872-just-one-damned-thing-after-another

These look really great! Sadly my library doesn't have any of them, but I requested they purchase them. I'm starting to do that with quite annoying frequency.

• Like 8

Hmm, I'm inspired by Eliana's post to read some more Saramago.  My BIL turned me on to Blindness a few years ago, and I thought it was brilliant.  I see there is a followup to it, called Seeing.  I'm thinking that The Gospel According to Jesus Christ is something I will enjoy.  Death with Interruptions and The Stone Raft look interesting too.

• Like 6

Aww, man!  My multi quote collection crashed.  Along with all my ideas of responding to all of you... and I'm sure I won't remember a fraction.

Robin, thanks for the reminder re: Banned Books.  I think I'll take on Absolutely True Diary of Part-time Indian if I can persuade Stella to do it with me....

Also puzzled, along with Jane and idnib and others, re: The Lottery.  Not only has it been so deeply established for so many years, but I would think teachers would be able to draw a connection with Hunger Games... reaffirms to me how weird the whole drive to ban books is... although it's some relief that of all the many efforts to ban, at least in Oregon very few seem to succeed.

Kareni, thanks for bringing Static to our attention.  Not sure I'm quite ready for it, but glad to know it's out there.

Re: Ta-Nehisi Coates' Between the World and Me - I largely agree with Stacia's assessment -- I think it's an important book, not quite that I "enjoyed" it... the NYT Book Review reviewed it a few weeks ago, after I'd read it and after I'd passed my copy around to my eldest and two teens of the family we were traveling with in August... I can't remember the reviewer, but s/he made the observation that (I'm paraphrasing here) it's not written for a white audience, and -- if you're white -- that's going to, uh, color your reading experience.  I agree with that, too... the  family we were traveling with are Chinese-American, and I think that reading lens was different, again, from my daughter's and mine... anyway, the man writes beautifully, and now we know he's a genius! so there's that! ... and I do recommend it.

Eliana, glad you enjoyed Painted Alphabet! Let me know when ('cuz I know you will, it's just a matter of time) find the Balinese originals...

Rose, I think you'll dig Chameleon.  And, for the record, Stacia used to claim he's a gecko, but I notice she's quietly withdrawn from that debate...

Angel, I so agree re: stretching.  There are so many lands into which I never would have traveled, but for the suggestions and encouragement here.  

Aww, man, and now I have to leave to pick up my daughter!  Will return tonight to list books...

• Like 8

Well, except two more quick requests.  It has recently come to my attention that I am failing even more miserably than usual in meeting my so-called annual goals, particularly Reading Around the World:  

Looking for fiction set in Australia, and

Looking for fiction or non-fiction on countries beginning with: E,F,J,R,V,W, X (???! what was I thinking?) and Y.

• Like 7

Pam's post reminds me that I neglected to respond to Stacia's earlier inquiry.  I have not read Between the World and Me.  After Pam mentioned it, I put the book on a list.  The author's name stayed with me though so when I read through the MacArthur recipients, I was reminded that this is one of those books that I should read at some point.

• Like 6

Well, except two more quick requests.  It has recently come to my attention that I am failing even more miserably than usual in meeting my so-called annual goals, particularly Reading Around the World:  

Looking for fiction set in Australia, and

Looking for fiction or non-fiction on countries beginning with: E,F,J,R,V,aW, X (???! what was I thinking?) and Y.

Have you read My Brilliant Career?  I have not but the movie is one that would definitely appeal to you. Girl in Outback Australia wants to be a writer.  Just a few hurdles in the way.

• Like 6

He is a gecko! I just used chameleon because that's his nickname.

Pam, for fiction set in Australia, A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute is lovely. I think you'd like it. I also really enjoyed Max Barry's Lexicon (but I'm thinking you've read that one already?). I have Walkabout on tap to read at some point, just don't know when. There are also books by Liane Moriarty, but I didn't like What Alice Forgot, so I haven't tried anything else by her.

• Like 7

Heading over to a banned books reading this afternoon. DH is out of town so I have to take the kids. Here's hoping we arrive at section that's not too out there for a 7 yo.

On several occasions when we have discussed the quality or lack thereof in children's literature, Nancy Bond's books are mentioned as shining examples of the former.  As everyone knows, I am a huge fan of A String in the Harp.  Eliana has mentioned another of Bond's books, Another Shore, as one of her favorites.  I have pulled that out of my library bag.

Thanks, will check out Bond.

Looking for fiction or non-fiction on countries beginning with: E,F,J,R,V,W, X (???! what was I thinking?) and Y.

How about Murakami for Japan? I've only read 1Q84 and it was ~1100 pages, but someone here could recommend a shorter one I'm sure if you want. I've been meaning to read another too.

• Like 7

Because I needed an audiobook for some long drives this week, I grabbed the first title off the library shelves that looked interesting.  It is Sweet Tooth, by Ian McEwan, and I'm chuckling to myself while listening because the female protagonist in this book gets recruited by MI5 (the British internal security agency) to lead an operation simply because she is a compulsive reader of books. I keep picturing the CIA covertly reading this thread each week and deciding which one of us to groom for the job of secret agent!  It is set in the early 70s, when misogyny and the Cold War still rule, so it is at once dated yet familiar. 

• Like 10

Do you mean the countries themselves should begin w/ those letters or the titles/authors should begin w/ those letters?

E: Egypt, The Colors of Infamy by Albert Cossery or something by Naguib Mahfouz

F: France, The Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy; my favorite French writer is Alexandre Dumas

J: Japan, Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami or Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto

R: Romania, Dracula (of course!) by Bram Stoker; or Russia, The Dream Life of Sukhanov by Olga Grushin

This list from A Year of Reading the World might help too.

• Like 7

Pam, if you're looking for authors/titles beginning w/ those letters, I have you covered for X: Xala by Ousmane Sembene. This book is set in Senegal. I read it in 2013. What I wrote about it at the time:

===========

Considering that Xala was written in the 1970s, it is a surprisingly frank discussion of male & female societal, marital, & sexual relationships in the days of post-colonial Senegal (which gained independence in 1960). It's a dark satire, a harsh parable that shows the clash between old, traditional African ways and the newer, post-colonial, 'Europeanized' ways. For such a short book, it touches on many themes: sexuality, religion, business, corruption, language, gender roles, societal levels & roles, traditions vs. new ideas, questions as to whether or not a former colony is really 'free' from its former occupiers, etc.... Apparently, the book was also made into a movie in the 1970s & the book includes some black & white stills from the movie throughout, giving some nice visuals to the story. I've read very little African literature & am currently working on a 'continental' reading challenge; this novella has given me an interesting peek into an area of the world about which I know very little. 3.5 stars.

===========

Fyi, it looks like it is free right now for kindle unlimited users.

• Like 5

Heading over to a banned books reading this afternoon. DH is out of town so I have to take the kids. Here's hoping we arrive at section that's not too out there for a 7 yo.

That's cool & a neat idea. Was it something your library did? How did it go?

Finished Slaughterhouse Five and found it a worthwhile read. It's not a book I can say that I loved, but I thought it said important things; definitely a book I could write school essays on. It reminded me of All Quiet on the Western Front and Catch 22 as a record of the meaninglessness, insanity, and horror of war as reported by one who was there. In fact, one line that sticks out to me is Billy Pilgrim's "I was there" to a bombastic air force brass he shares a hospital room with when that general (who thought Pilgrim was a vegetable) begins to talk about the Dresden fire-bombing. Vonnegut, too, was there. What he says is worth reading. Anyway, lots of thoughts and ideas still bouncing around my brain from this one.

Would love to hear any other thoughts you have about this one.

After reading Brave New World (& in anticipation of starting Slaughterhouse Five in the next couple of days), I've been mulling them both over since both have faced various bannings/challenges.

• Like 6

Because I needed an audiobook for some long drives this week, I grabbed the first title off the library shelves that looked interesting.  It is Sweet Tooth, by Ian McEwan, and I'm chuckling to myself while listening because the female protagonist in this book gets recruited by MI5 (the British internal security agency) to lead an operation simply because she is a compulsive reader of books. I keep picturing the CIA covertly reading this thread each week and deciding which one of us to groom for the job of secret agent!  It is set in the early 70s, when misogyny and the Cold War still rule, so it is at once dated yet familiar. 

That's actually pretty cool! Hey, I'd love to be James Bond or Jason Bourne for a day or two! ;) 

Sounds like a fun book.

• Like 7

Have you read My Brilliant Career?  I have not but the movie is one that would definitely appeal to you. Girl in Outback Australia wants to be a writer.  Just a few hurdles in the way.

I have not -- and my library evidently has it, so I will take a look...

He is a gecko! I just used chameleon because that's his nickname.

Pam, for fiction set in Australia, A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute is lovely. I think you'd like it. I also really enjoyed Max Barry's Lexicon (but I'm thinking you've read that one already?). I have Walkabout on tap to read at some point, just don't know when. There are also books by Liane Moriarty, but I didn't like What Alice Forgot, so I haven't tried anything else by her.

:lol: re gecko.  Who knew how much entertainment pleasure beyond the story itself a book could bring us?

Town like Alice looks fascinating, and as it's exceedingly affordable I just sent it to my kindle, but... forgive me for asking this, but... is it actually in Australia?  The reviews make it sound like it shifts between Malaya and the UK?  Looks fascinating anyway, just trying to schedule out my goals, here...

How about Murakami for Japan? I've only read 1Q84 and it was ~1100 pages, but someone here could recommend a shorter one I'm sure if you want. I've been meaning to read another too.

I did Colorless Tsokuru and Wind Up Bird Chronicles last year and... I'm still recuperating...

I forgot to mention that theoretically I do have an R -- Karamozov -- but I, er, think it might be good if I had a backup...

• Like 5

Pam, if you're looking for authors/titles beginning w/ those letters, I have you covered for X: Xala by Ousmane Sembene. This book is set in Senegal. I read it in 2013. What I wrote about it at the time:

===========

Considering that Xala was written in the 1970s, it is a surprisingly frank discussion of male & female societal, marital, & sexual relationships in the days of post-colonial Senegal (which gained independence in 1960). It's a dark satire, a harsh parable that shows the clash between old, traditional African ways and the newer, post-colonial, 'Europeanized' ways. For such a short book, it touches on many themes: sexuality, religion, business, corruption, language, gender roles, societal levels & roles, traditions vs. new ideas, questions as to whether or not a former colony is really 'free' from its former occupiers, etc.... Apparently, the book was also made into a movie in the 1970s & the book includes some black & white stills from the movie throughout, giving some nice visuals to the story. I've read very little African literature & am currently working on a 'continental' reading challenge; this novella has given me an interesting peek into an area of the world about which I know very little. 3.5 stars.

===========

Fyi, it looks like it is free right now for kindle unlimited users.

Oh, that does look neat.  

I guess there really aren't any X countries, are there.  So... what do y'all who've done the Round the World by Alphabet challenge do?  It seems oddly dissatisfying to do 25/26.  (Not that for me, at the moment, that really is looking so likely anyway, but...)

Kareni, you get a Check Plus if you can uncover a book set in Xanadu....

• Like 5