Menu

Anybody have any suggestions for math for

my son who is having a really difficult time with Tablet class Prealgebra.  He is in 9th grade and obviously math is not necessarily his thing.  Tablet class was going too fast for him and he bombed his first test.  I spent time with him watching the videos and  tutoring him through the problems when needed.  I cannot waste time right now and try to stick with it, when he is struggling to pass.  He needs more practice than what was given and needs something that will move more slowly through the concepts.  Any suggestions where to go from here... Time is of the essence for him being that he is in 9th grade.  Maybe Saxon 8/7 (3rd ed) or something else?????  Thanks so much!

What about Lial's Pre-algebra?  Used versions are usually quite cheap.  If that ends up being too hard, then maybe Lial's Basic College Mathematics, along with the DVDs.  DD is 9th grade, not strong in math, and dyslexic.  She used CLE for quite a while and I love CLE, but she wanted to switch to something more colorful.  She switched to BCM (although we still sometimes move back to CLE for review).  She is so far doing quite well.

Could a student go from basic college math to algebra without taking Prealgebra in between? Also, I already own Chalkdust Basic Math. Would that pretty much be the same as Lial's?

My husband (who tutors math and science) has used Lial's Basic College Math and Lial's PreAlgebra with different students. With some students, he moves directly from BCM to Algebra I. With others students, he has moved from BCM to PreAlgebra; this has generally been the case with his younger students. The PreAlgebra book is more meaty in its concepts.

Regards,

Kareni

My DD is doing pre-algebra Tablet Class too, and I just don't think they give enough practice or insight into the conceptual details as much as I would like. I also am not thrilled with the encouragement of calculator use at this stage. But, we're continuing with it with modifications that help.

I have her work on one of the chapters entirely on her own one week, I can tell if she is having any problems because I check her work on the exercises, and then I just pull in some more practice exercises or conceptual info from any of the other billion pre-algebra programs I have (AoPS, MM, Docliani, Lial, Key to Algebra, plus tons of other resources). She's been scoring well on the chapter tests with this method. I like it because I'm not having to teach everything; I'm just filling in any gaps in her understanding.

We did chapter 1 of AoPS pre-algebra in the spring, and she liked it okay but we decided to have her do something more independent (she's not emotionally ready for AoPS-level independence). 

I recently heard about a new math program that is supposed to work really well for struggling students; and while I haven't used it, I bookmarked it for my middle child, who struggles mightily in math. It is on the computer, but unlike other programs, it is adaptive...if a student is struggling with a concept, it provides extra problem sets until the student masters the concept. It provides immediate feedback and walks the student through the solution for missed problems, but the student has to go on and solve problems without help in order to get credit for that section. It is called Unlock Math (not an affiliate link), and so far most reviews are very positive...though it has only been out for a number of weeks, so no one has used it long-term yet.

I recently heard about a new math program that is supposed to work really well for struggling students; and while I haven't used it, I bookmarked it for my middle child, who struggles mightily in math. It is on the computer, but unlike other programs, it is adaptive...if a student is struggling with a concept, it provides extra problem sets until the student masters the concept. It provides immediate feedback and walks the student through the solution for missed problems, but the student has to go on and solve problems without help in order to get credit for that section. It is called Unlock Math (not an affiliate link), and so far most reviews are very positive...though it has only been out for a number of weeks, so no one has used it long-term yet.

Unlock math is run and created by a woman who was in my previous city. When she was starting the program she came into our local homeschool group and was looking fro beta testers and the results and reviews were quite impressive (I didn't beta because my daughter was too young then) but if I could afford it I definitely would enroll her now since she has always has a struggle with math and from the reviews back then it seemed like it would be worth it.  

• Like 1

Does the Lial BCM have the answers in the back of the book or do I need a teacher's edition? Is there only an answer key or is there a solutions manual? Thanks!

It has answers only for odds in the back. There is a solutions manual available. It is extremely helpful!