Menu

Astronomy/Telescope

My oldest son(6) loves astronomy. Reads about it, writes about it, draws pictures of planets and wakes up in the morning early just so he can watch shows about it. The problem is I'm terrible at it, always have been. I just found it to be so unappealing. I couldn't understand it. So now after avoiding it for years, I'm faced with it every moment he's awake.

I'm looking for resources books, games, shows. He's been watching the same series over and over again, How the Universe Works. He loves it but a lot of it seems to be theories and predictions, not fact. I'm hoping to find resources that focus more on facts so he can understand what these theories and predictions are based on. Maybe it would help if I have a better understanding of astronomy?

I'm also looking into getting him a telescope, but it turns out that is more complicated than I realized. If anyone has advice on telescopes, how to use them or buy one or which ones are good for beginners that would be great!

We bought a Celestron 21035 70mm Travel Scope from Amazon this past summer.  DH did a bit of research and it seems to be a decent telescope without spending tons of money.  He also got an accessory kit with planet and moon filters...we used the moon filter and could see details on the moon.  It was a bit difficult for the kids to use...the younger ones kept bumping it and it was difficult to re-find what we were looking at.  I have heard binoculars are a good way to start as well, but my DH likes his gadgets.  

• Like 1

Our area has a local astronomy association. They hold public viewings a few times a year where they set up their telescopes and answer the same newbie questions for a few hours. Perhaps you could find something similar.

H. A. Rey, of Curious George fame, has a nice book for identifying constellations. Also Usborne has a set of cards about astronomy.

I highly recommend the website/app Heavens Above. We often use it to know where to look to see satellites passing over.

There is a lunar eclipse coming up this Sunday night.

• Like 4

… 

H. A. Rey, of Curious George fame, has a nice book for identifying constellations. Also Usborne has a set of cards about astronomy. 

…

H A Rey has 2 books.

The Stars is written at a slightly higher level than Find the Constellations. If I could only get 1 of these, it would definitely be The Stars. I love, love, love The Stars; because of that book, I was able to find more constellations than the big dipper! There are also some astronomical explanations in it.

This page shows some of Rey's illustrations. And this page.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

My wife is the owner of an 8" Celestron Dobsonian telescope.  They are *rugged* and you will get the most bang for your buck with a Dobsonian telescope.  The other models, you will be paying a lot for the stand and getting a much smaller scope.

How did we end up buying one of those? We went to the Physics Dept. of the Public university in Cali, not knowing *anything* about telescopes. The man in charge of them (a Physics instructor) told us they have a bunch of those and they teach young school children about Astronomy with them. 

They are not as fragile as other models and if taken care of will last a lifetime.  GL

Since you asked about books, I would buy a copy of In Quest of the Universe.  It's an astronomy textbook that was recommended on this board, and I'm reading for fun.  It has lovely full color illustrations, and I would use it as a reference.  

PBS has many, many documentaries about space, too many to list here.  The new Cosmos and anything else with Neil deGrasse Tyson.  

Yes, binoculars are easier for kids - but also - children's interests do change. Binoculars are a good initial investment. If it turns out that your child is still madly into astronomy in a few years time, investing in a telescope is more of a sure bet. Plus binoculars take up much less room.

You can see cool stuff with binoculars. We looked at star clusters in the Milky Way last weekend through binoculars.

Do you have any recommended specs for the binoculars?  Would a stand be needed?  Last time I tried using our binoculars it was very shaky and we could not really focus on anything.

I'm not the OP, but we're studying astronomy this semester and going to a state park far from the big city lights this weekend for the lunar eclipse. I dug out my telescope, but was just annoyed by how frustrating it was to use (it was a beginner telescope 16 years ago when it was bought for me!)

I'm still dragging it along, but I appreciate the advice given in this thread, as based on it and this space.com review, I ordered two pairs of Celestron Cometrons for the kids. I was stunned that they were rated so well at only $35 or so. I also ordered an adapter for my camera tripod. They may not be as powerful as a telescope, but I think the kids will enjoy looking at the sky with them a lot more. So...thanks!

• Like 1

I believe trying to focus on an object, with Binoculars, would be very difficult.  I have never tried that, but my belief is that it would be difficult to locate the object and much harder to keep the object in view, with binoculars.

No it's not. Mount a pair of binoculars on a tripod and it's really easy for a child to manage. You have less magnification than a telescope and a wider field of view and so if anything it's easier to get to know the night's sky as you can physically see more area at once. You're more likely to be able to see the whole of a constellation and they're great to view the moon with too. Obviously it's also cheaper to get a good pair of binoculars and an appropriate tripod than to get a decent telescope.

• Like 2

I agree wholeheartedly with the recommendation for binoculars. I'd also suggest a drive to a dark place if necessary and (gasp) the naked eye. It is, after all, the way countless generations saw the night sky. Telescopes have a small field of vision, so you may see only a star or planet, but not a whole constellation. And remember, you may get an object sighted, but it will move out of your vision unless your telescope is the type ($$) that moves with it. Although there are some relatively decent tabletop telescopes, most scopes are big, hard to store an/or they are on mounts that need to be assembled. Do Google user manuals for scopes and picture yourself doing the maintenance, set up, and adjustment, lol. Scopes should not be stored in basements or attics. Oh, and there is a period of adjustment if you take them outdoors to a big change in temperature.

Binoculars are great, imo. We have some Celestron SkyMasters. They are heavy, very heavy. I can use them without a tripod by sitting on the the ground and propping my elbows on my knees. It is not that I cant hold them, but that I cant hold them steady for long periods. The right kind of tripod for astronomy binoculars costs around $200, iirc. The tripod should be able to point straight up, unlike a camera tripod. My suggestion would be ordinary binoculars, not astronomy ones. There are some excellent recommendations in Terence Dickinson's book, The Backyard Astronomer's Guide, in the book Star Ware, in The Home Scientist's Astronomy book (check Amazon's look inside feature), and in Sky and Telescope magazine.

Personally, I would never get the Celestron SkyScout for use with binoculars. Oh, wait, I did. I would love to have that money back. No point in going into details at this point, since op did not ask about it.

Other posters mentioned astronomy clubs. They are an incredible resource. Many have open viewing nights for non-members. Our local club has lots of children, serves coffee and donut holes. Some people bring truly gigantic scopes. One guy has a 20" Dobsonian and has a stepladder you climb to get to the viewing piece. Someone will be able to tell you what you are seeing. Also, you may find small local or college observatories near you. Many have open viewing nights. They will focus the scope on whatever is special that night and people take turns viewing.

Your ds may like astronomy apps. I just counted 18 on my iPad. One of the most spectacular is a Solar Walk, which lets you navigate around the solar system and zoom in on the planets. And other mobile apps tell you what is up in the sky. Lots of computer apps too. One of my favorites is Stellarium, free, slight learning curve.

• Like 1

You can use a normal photographic tripod for binoculars but some are more awkward than others, it depends on the head on the tripod, some have more range of movement than others. You need an adapter to add to the head to add a fixing point in the correct place for the binoculars, mine both have the fixing point in different places. This website has a guide. You need to check the tripod will take the weight of whatever you put on it though as low end tripods often don't take much weight safely. 

Both my binoculars were not designed for Astronomy. They are both Swift binoculars, Audobon and Newport. One was free and one was about £12 in a market. They both needed cleaning. 

• Like 1

You can use a normal photographic tripod for binoculars but some are more awkward than others, it depends on the head on the tripod, some have more range of movement than others. You need an adapter to add to the head to add a fixing point in the correct place for the binoculars, mine both have the fixing point in different places. This website has a guide. You need to check the tripod will take the weight of whatever you put on it though as low end tripods often don't take much weight safely.

Both my binoculars were not designed for Astronomy. They are both Swift binoculars, Audobon and Newport. One was free and one was about £12 in a market. They both needed cleaning.

Thanks, that is the best article I have seen on mounts! I am planning to get a parallelogram mount, but the T mount at the end is one I was not aware of. I want the binoculars to move, but I don't want my head having to twist around (nausea). Btw, I have had good luck resting my binoculars on a metal bird feeder, but I would not suggest this as a permanent solution to anyone, lol.

• Like 1

Wow, Thank you! You are all amazing. All I've been doing is looking at recommendations. My son is going to be so happy. His love of astronomy started a few years ago. Sounds kind of silly but he always searched for the moon. He's been trying to find planets and constellations, I just haven't been able to help him...until now.Thank you, Thank you! He can't wait to see a lunar eclipse and now I can explain it to him.

Wow, Thank you! You are all amazing. All I've been doing is looking at recommendations. My son is going to be so happy. His love of astronomy started a few years ago. Sounds kind of silly but he always searched for the moon. He's been trying to find planets and constellations, I just haven't been able to help him...until now.Thank you, Thank you! He can't wait to see a lunar eclipse and now I can explain it to him.

We can see eclipses from our front porch. The kids used to bundle up in blankets and eat 'eclipse food' aka junk food I did not normally buy.

• Like 1