Menu

are we the last to drop off college student?

regentrude

DD's school is on the quarter system, and classes don't start until the 28th, but she will work as an orientation aide for the First years. We took her to college yesterday (grueling day; 6.5 hours there, 7 hours back). It was a bit easier than last year, when we took her for the first time, but I feel empty and exhausted now. It was lovely having her home over the summer, and she even went on a trip with us. I hope she continues her habit of calling while walking to and from campus; I feel blessed that she includes us so much in her life and keeps us updated. She has a full quarter ahead of her, is involved in lots of activities, and I'm sure she will have a great year.

Anybody else still have their college student home?

• Like 12

I just got back from taking my son to begin his junior year. He is also on the quarter system, but they start a little early this year, Sept. 24. It is an 11-hour drive there, which we did in one day. The next day we went for a wonderful hike on which my son was telling me about one of his physics classes and his dynamics class. (He is a mechanical engineering major.) Guess whose name (regentrude) kept coming to my mind as he was talking about these? :) And to make it even more interesting, he was also talking about his German class, which he is taking in preparation to study for a year in Germany. :)

I just drove home today. I feel the same about my son as you do your daughter. We get along so well and am thrilled that he includes me in the things he does. He even calls and asks for advice sometimes. I try to be calm on the phone, but I am actually doing the happy dance on my end of the phone. :)

• Like 1

I remember being unpleasantly surprised by that back to university in October thing while in England. We managed to hit Cambridge on a weekend when all the students seemed to be flooding back in. It never would have occurred to me that that would be happening in October.

It's Oxford and Cambridge that are so late, because they have shorter terms.  Most other universities start back in September sometime.  My local one in Scotland started back this week (so Freshers week was last week).  I try to avoid the supermarkets around this time, because they are full of bemused foreign students dealing with unfamiliar payment methods - all our credit/debit cards here are chip and pin.

• Like 2

My ds flew back yesterday, but his classes start on the 21st. He, too, is on the quarter system.

It was certainly easier on us with regard to the move-in since he was completely on his own this year. Last year, dh drove out with him (it's around 1,860 miles away), and I flew out to join them for move-in day. Ds flew on Southwest and checked two bags and carried on his backpack. He took more clothing back than he brought home as we purchased two new suits and some new dress shirts for him this summer. His pod where he had stored the majority of his belongings had been delivered, so that was a relief. We'll likely learn how it all went when we have our weekly conversation this Sunday, but I am hopeful his having to do it all on his own made him appreciate our help last year. ;) His room has a different configuration than last year, so I am eager to learn how he and his roommate decided to set it up.

I did have to ship 13 lbs of sheet music that he couldn't fit into his suitcase. I am truly grateful for those flat-rate USPS boxes!

ETA: Changed class start date - typo!

• Like 5

Mine is local but has one class that just started this week. They have some staggered start dates.

We just went to the gym, and he was talking about how much homework he has already in the class that just started. But it's a sophomore-level class in his major, so no surprise.

DD's school is on the quarter system, and classes don't start until the 28th, but she will work as an orientation aide for the First years. We took her to college yesterday (grueling day; 6.5 hours there, 7 hours back). It was a bit easier than last year, when we took her for the first time, but I feel empty and exhausted now. It was lovely having her home over the summer, and she even went on a trip with us. I hope she continues her habit of calling while walking to and from campus; I feel blessed that she includes us so much in her life and keeps us updated. She has a full quarter ahead of her, is involved in lots of activities, and I'm sure she will have a great year.

Anybody else still have their college student home?

Well, mine doesn't start for three weeks, but it is elsewhere, not the states. 

Unfortunately, this one is already in country to get the details and living arrangments set up, so no longer home.  :(  

• 3 weeks later...

Dropped off Calvin this weekend.  Eight hours of driving each way in good weather and an okay B&B overnight.  His room is nicer than last year: smaller but with a better window: his last window was too high to see out of.  His new room is on the fourth floor in an annexe, so he'll get more exercise too.

• Like 5