Menu

Need food ideas

Scarlett

Conversation with my boss

Boss. Anything you need from me before I leave?

Scarlett well, I am going shopping for you today. Anything you need or want?

Boss. ( contemplates) just some things for dd2 1/2 and me to eat.

Scarlett ( raises eyebrows and tilts head-- not our first conversation like this)

Boss ( smiles) just what looks good.

Then he suggests I go to a new store to look around. Ok, sure, I have been wanting to go to this new store but it still won't magically tell me what this man and his ds want to eat!

Sigh. I am not complaining. He is appreciative of all I do. Never questions what I buy, never complains.

I routinely buy yogurt, milk eggs and fruit for the toddler. I keep the frig stocked with drinks. I buy deli lunch meat for him. Lots of chips. Bread.

Beyond that what? I was cooking a meal one night a week but I have cut my time back...so I need something for their dinners but he won't cook so it needs to be super easy.....money is no problem. He won't bat an eye about what I spend. Any gourmet dinner ideas?

Rotisserie chicken?

Do they have one of those casserole places where it's prepped and you just stick it in the oven? There's a gourmet one here. I got a chicken pot pie from someone when I had #3, and I checked their website and nearly choked on their prices. It was delicious, but oh my. Maybe the fancy store sells similar things? Costco does here but in huge sizes. You could repackage them into smaller foil pans.

• Like 3

Rotisserie chicken?

Do they have one of those casserole places where it's prepped and you just stick it in the oven? There's a gourmet one here. I got a chicken pot pie from someone when I had #3, and I checked their website and nearly choked on their prices. It was delicious, but oh my. Maybe the fancy store sells similar things? Costco does here but in huge sizes. You could repackage them into smaller foil pans.

Dinner at 6? Good idea. Off to,check their website.

Will he microwave veggies? The frozen steamer bags are easy. Bag salad and dressing. Maybe make a menu for him with directions? Put Bbq chicken in oven at 350 for 45 mins. Microwave broccoli for 3 mins. Serve with rolls. My DH hates the decision-making portion. I'd probably do that for him if I were leaving a bunch of food bc he would let the kids pull out whatever to avoid deciding himself. ;)

Will he microwave veggies? The frozen steamer bags are easy. Bag salad and dressing. Maybe make a menu for him with directions? Put Bbq chicken in oven at 350 for 45 mins. Microwave broccoli for 3 mins. Serve with rolls. My DH hates the decision-making portion. I'd probably do that for him if I were leaving a bunch of food bc he would let the kids pull out whatever to avoid deciding himself. ;)

One time I bought a couple of big potatoes and told him to microwave them, smooth up, add butter and salt for baby. They went bad. He just wouldn't do it.

Some of the healthier canned or bagged soups and a baguette? Prepared meatloaf or something from the deli counter that can be nuked? My 20 yo gets meatloaf, enchiladas, roast turkey, quiche from the deli counter for himself. He won't cook even though he knows how. I think he gets some salads from there to go with it and keep me from force feeding him veggies when he comes home.

Price is no object, and your goal is food that is easy to prepare, plus healthy for the toddler. 

I would stick to the deli section in upscale food stores.  I'd also look at any organic, already prepared foods/salads.  I'm thinking Whole Foods, Wegmans, or if you don't have anything similar available, hopefully you are close to a grocery store that appeals to shoppers with more money to spend.

Deli salads, prepared meats/fish, with cut up fruit or veggies and bread on the side.  Substantial sandwich fillings such as deli tuna salad.  Does he grill?  Most grocery store meat departments have meat that is prepared and ready to grill or cook, kabobs, stuffed chicken breasts, seasoned chicken breasts, stuffed pork chops, etc. I'd stick with simple sides, cut/seasoned veggies that are ready to just pop in the microwave, prepared dressed salads from the deli, fresh seasonal fruit.

Would he consider hiring someone to cook for him, or deliver meals to him, several nights a week?

Costco has panko-crusted chicken breasts -- 425 degrees for 25 minutes. Pair with oven-baked fries (the thick-cut ones generally cook in the same amount of time).

DH loves frozen burritos. They pair well with chips and salsa.  :coolgleamA:

Otherwise, go to the upscale grocery and pick out tons of stuff from the deli. He just has to dump it on a plate. 

• Like 1

fancy chicken salad (posh deli)
whatever sort of meaty item that looks tasty (posh deli)
whatever sort of pasta item that looks tasty (posh deli)
assortment of nice cheeses, sliced, and a block or two as well (posh deli)
cream cheese
butter (not marg.)
tomatoes (give instructions for toasties:  French bread, butter, tomatoes, cheese in toaster oven until melted)
smoked salmon in small packages 
hearty soups (posh deli)
French bread
fancy crackers
bagels
tortillas (give him instructions on quesadillas and roll-ups)
small packs of refried beans (give instructions for molletes (a little butter on French bread, spread with beans, top with cheese and put in toaster oven until melted); small children often love these)  
small jars of tomato sauce
An assortment of slices from a "pizza to go" restaurant (freeze them and heat in toaster oven)
continue buying fruits, veggies, yogurt, eggs

• Like 1

Do you have a Whole Foods type of store nearby? They have a large selection of prepared meats like meatloaf, ribs, pork roast, or you could do a rotisserie chicken. And they have things like scalloped potatoes, veggies, pasta or bean salads, etc. Take all the meat off the chicken so it's super easy for him to eat or give to the toddler, and then all he has to do is add a side- whether it's a cold salad you picked or nuke a warm one like scalloped potatoes. 

If you do that, I bet he'd let you take the chicken carcass home and you could make chicken stock for yourself- win!

• Like 1

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about your job or your boss. Disregard as needed! :-)

How many days a week are you there? 

If money is no object, I'd find one of those dinner prep places, like Dinners Done Right or Dream Dinners. Buy 12 or so of the pre-prepared meals. While you're there, thaw and crock-pot/bake a couple each week. Leave one for that night's dinner, then cool and fridge them so he can easily re-heat in the microwave.

• Like 1

Wow, thanks for all the ideas. Many of them I already use.

I looked at the dinners at 6 site......great idea, he wouldn't obkect to the price ( although I think it is high for my family) BUT. If I dont do the prep work for him it will sit in the freezer..

He likes when I cook for him. Even one day a week. Nothing I can buy would be cheaper for him than me cooking....I guesss it just boils down to how many hours do I want to,work for him.

• Like 1

Price is no object, and your goal is food that is easy to prepare, plus healthy for the toddler.

I would stick to the deli section in upscale food stores. I'd also look at any organic, already prepared foods/salads. I'm thinking Whole Foods, Wegmans, or if you don't have anything similar available, hopefully you are close to a grocery store that appeals to shoppers with more money to spend.

Deli salads, prepared meats/fish, with cut up fruit or veggies and bread on the side. Substantial sandwich fillings such as deli tuna salad. Does he grill? Most grocery store meat departments have meat that is prepared and ready to grill or cook, kabobs, stuffed chicken breasts, seasoned chicken breasts, stuffed pork chops, etc. I'd stick with simple sides, cut/seasoned veggies that are ready to just pop in the microwave, prepared dressed salads from the deli, fresh seasonal fruit.

Would he consider hiring someone to cook for him, or deliver meals to him, several nights a week?

Ha. He would consider hiring me to cook for him whenever I would do that. I just have to commit to that.

• Like 1