Menu

Book a Week 2015 - BW37: Waiting Afield at Dusk

Robin M

I'm on letter E for the name challenge.  I'm reading "The Elements" by Euclid.  This book deserves more than a week.  I read parts of this a while back, but I'm happy to go through it again and take the time to do the constructions.  You can't just read this book, you have to make the constructions - how could you not :)  I love this book :)  I love geometric constructions :)  Euclid is awesome :)

My 9yo likes making constructions too, but she usually does a few and then ends with a montage of cute kitten drawings.  She read, and will most likely read through many times, "How to... Ballet: A Step-by-step guide to the secrets of ballet" by Jane Hackett.

:)

• Like 9

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Michael Vey 5: Storm of Lightning today.  SOOOO good!  5/5 stars.  Definitely.  My son is right that it wasn't super action packed, but there still was a lot of action and the end... I was like "nooooo! not again!"  I can't wait for the last two books!

An update on my dad, he is doing *great.*  The incision is healing nicely, there's no digestive juices in the drainage (that would be very bad), and he's taken several walks over the last couple days.  The doctor doing his rounds today said he wished he could take my dad around with him to see his other patients because he's doing the recovery thing right.  A lot of people refuse to use that breathing thing that helps prevent pneumonia or to get up and walk.  My dad is doing everything they tell him to because he is determined to heal well.  The pathology report was even better than expected.  The cancer was 100% contained in the head of the pancreas and the margins were clear.  No cells at all in the lymph nodes.  My dad's only complaint is he still can't eat until Monday.  He has to test clear of digestive juices through then and then he can have something more than water or apple juice.  (This is because if he tests positive, he will be sent to emergency surgery; also this gives his small intestine time to heal without food pushing through it.)  He's starving!

So glad to hear your dad is doing well.

• Like 9

An update on my dad, he is doing *great.* 

What wonderful news.  I hope he'll soon be eating.

680000olizcqcs4i.gif680000olizcqcs4i.gif

(The second pig showed up because VC can quote Devo.)

What cute flying pigs.

Here's where I reveal my cultural ignorance and say "Devo?  That sounds vaguely familiar, but ...."  I ended up visiting VC's profile page and, with my mad searching skills, discovered the quote in question.  Hope that syllabub was tasty, VC.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

What happy news, Heather.

Here's where I reveal my cultural ignorance and say "Devo? That sounds vaguely familiar, but ...." I ended up visiting VC's profile page and, with my mad searching skills, discovered the quote in question. Hope that syllabub was tasty, VC.

It was. Especially the leftover syllabub in my coffee next morning.

• Like 8

Good  morning, ladies!

I'm just popping in to announce that this morning (Sunday?) I received on my doorstop the first of my Archipelago subscription, The Folly by Ivan Vladislavic.  It arrived in a hand-addressed mailer, wrapped in a page of the April 17 2015 edition of the Times Literary Supplement, with a Welcome to the Tribe letter, also personally signed by Charles Thaxton, Director of Development.

#NotAmazonExperience

Despite the overtones-of-Jane sound of the author, The Folly is evidently actually set in the South African veldt.  Looking forward to it.

• Like 8

Good  morning, ladies!

I'm just popping in to announce that this morning (Sunday?) I received on my doorstop the first of my Archipelago subscription, The Folly by Ivan Vladislavic.  It arrived in a hand-addressed mailer, wrapped in a page of the April 17 2015 edition of the Times Literary Supplement, with a Welcome to the Tribe letter, also personally signed by Charles Thaxton, Director of Development.

#NotAmazonExperience

Despite the overtones-of-Jane sound of the author, The Folly is evidently actually set in the South African veldt.  Looking forward to it.

When I've ordered books from Archipelago (but I don't have a subscription), they have always come hand-addressed. 

I saw that last night. I read Hollywood Wives, and remember watching her on Dynasty.

ETA: That was her sister, Joan Collins on Dynasty. 

Hearing the mention of Dynasty takes me back to my high school days. I wasn't a Dynasty fan (I watched Dallas), but two of my very good friends were. Every week the day after the show, lunch would be nothing about what had happened on Dynasty. Funny thing was that one friend loved to watch the previews for the following week, while the other one was adamantly opposed to doing so. They always ended up arguing about discussing that, as the friend who watched the previews did want to discuss the upcoming stuff & the one who didn't refused to even listen to anything concerning the upcoming show. Lol. 

• Like 8