Menu

I am looking for a good peach cobbler recipe

Lara in Colo

I want it to be made with fresh peaches, have cinnamon and nutmeg in it, AND (here is the most important part) I want the cobbler part to be sort of a sweet biscuit that is kind of soggy with juices... Not the pie crust type, not the gummy cake like type, and not the biscuit type that is crunchy and dry.

Anyone know how to make this type?

Mine sounds like the one you want

Peel and slice 4 large peaches. Place them in a bowl with about 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Toss. Let them sit for about 30 minutes to get juicy.

In a 9 inch square pan, melt 1stick of butter. Stir in 3/4 cup of sugar, 1 cup of milk, 1 cup of flour, 1.5 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp salt. Whisk till smooth.

Dump the peaches into the batter, and sort of spread them around, but don't stir.

Bake at 375 for 40-50 minutes or until browned and bubbly.

Let sit for about 20 minutes and serve.

ETA: Forgot the cinnamon and nutmeg...You can add 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp nutmeg to the batter when you add the salt, baking powder.

• Like 1

Ha! I wonder if there is a regional influence for what "cobbler" means to people. 

My SIL always made peach cobbler for her dad, my FIL, the kind with the bisquit topping.  It wasn't until we moved in to take care my FIL and I made a fruit pie of some mind, that he came up very sheepishly and asked if I could make him a peach cobbler, but the kind made with a pie crust on top.  He missed the ones that the lady in the work cafeteria made and hadn't had one since he had retired.

For all those years, my SIL made him the kind she thought he liked (and I'm sure he enjoyed it, because she is a great cook) and he was too kind to say anything and ask for the kind he really liked, the kind with a pie crust.  LOL -- I thought it was pretty sweet that they both loved each other in the best way they knew how.  I kept his secret and kept him "well cobblered" since we had to work hard to keep any weight on his frame. 

• Like 1

Mine sounds like the one you want

Peel and slice 4 large peaches. Place them in a bowl with about 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Toss. Let them sit for about 30 minutes to get juicy.

In a 9 inch square pan, melt 1stick of butter. Stir in 3/4 cup of sugar, 1 cup of milk, 1 cup of flour, 1.5 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp salt. Whisk till smooth.

Dump the peaches into the batter, and sort of spread them around, but don't stir.

Bake at 375 for 40-50 minutes or until browned and bubbly.

Let sit for about 20 minutes and serve.

ETA: Forgot the cinnamon and nutmeg...You can add 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp nutmeg to the batter when you add the salt, baking powder.

This is very similar to how I make it too. I add vanilla to the batter. The crust rises to the top as it bakes. It doesn't remain on the bottom of the dish. Really good with blueberries or blackberries too. Peach-blueberry together is yum. I've even thrown in the peaches mostly frozen and it's been fine. Berries can be completely frozen.

I just can't even with the nutmeg though. ;)

• Like 1

This is very similar to how I make it too. I add vanilla to the batter. The crust rises to the top as it bakes. It doesn't remain on the bottom of the dish. Really good with blueberries or blackberries too. Peach-blueberry together is yum. I've even thrown in the peaches mostly frozen and it's been fine. Berries can be completely frozen.

This does sound delicious, and I have blueberries in my freezer.  What amount should I use?

Regards,

Kareni

This does sound delicious, and I have blueberries in my freezer. What amount should I use?

Regards,

Kareni

It's very flexible. You want to aim for around 4 cups of fruit, but that's hard to measure with lumpy things like peach slices. Maybe 3 cups of peaches to 1 cup blueberries? :)

• Like 1

It's very flexible. You want to aim for around 4 cups of fruit, but that's hard to measure with lumpy things like peach slices. Maybe 3 cups of peaches to 1 cup blueberries? :)

Many thanks, zoobie!  I may have to try this tonight.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

I just can't even with the nutmeg though. ;)

Yeah, I don't care for nutmeg myself either.