Menu

Transcript and course description questions

cjzimmer1

So I'm starting working on these documents and  I have a few questions.

First my son took most of the traditional high school math classes prior to 9th grade.  I will put them on the transcript noting they were taking before high school.  I will not be granting credit since he still has 4 years of harder math on his transcript. 1.  Do I need to included grades since I'm not granting credit? 2. Do I need to provide course descriptions for these classes?

Also DS has two ACT scores both have the same composite score but the first time he had a 36 in math (one of his intended majors) and the second time he has a 36 in science (and only a 32 in math).  I'm planning on putting test scores on the transcript.  Do I include both ACT scores?  Do I only include one?  If only one do I pick the earlier test score that has the better math score since that's his intended major or do I pick the second one since that is the most recent? 

Thanks for any advice, I'm finding the documentation aspect of high school to be way more stressful than facilitating high school.

I list before-9th grade high school math, since some colleges specifically want to see algebra 1 on the transcript - even though it should be obvious that a student who has algebra 2 and higher must have taken alg 1 at some point. So, I include it for the box checkers. I list grades for before 9th grade classes, but do not include them in the GPA.

I include the courses in the course descriptions so no questions arise. I find this especially important, since somebody might question why a certain course from the middle grades  merits being listed on the high school transcript.

I only listed the highest composite scores on the transcript. The colleges will receive official score reports from the ACT organization and have this information; it does not need to be on the transcript at all. I prefer the transcript to be as concise as possible.

• Like 2

I list before-9th grade high school math, since some colleges specifically want to see algebra 1 on the transcript - even though it should be obvious that a student who has algebra 2 and higher must have taken alg 1 at some point. So, I include it for the box checkers. I list grades for before 9th grade classes, but do not include them in the GPA.

I prefer the transcript to be as concise as possible.

I do exactly this. Alg I, Alg II and Geom are all boxes to check at some schools. Someone at the admissons office may think Linear Algebra is that easy part of algebra where you graph lines ;-)

At college fairs I have asked about homeschool transcripts and kept hearing "Please don't send us all that stuff!" You have to ask at every college, but it seemed quite a few wanted just a one or two page transcript. The only scores I include are AP next to the corresponding class.

• Like 1

For course descriptions, definitely ask the college.  I don't think I sent any for Campbell girl.  For State girl I sent them to 2 colleges.  When State girl was looking at colleges, one of the big state uni's told us not to include descriptions for "normal" classes.  There is a usual plan for classes like biology, chemistry, algebra 1, geometry, etc.  But our history classes and literature classes had titles like "History of the Middle Ages".  They wanted a description for something different like that.

I listed all high school level classes (not just math) taken prior to 9th grade, labeled them as high school level courses taken in middle school, gave a grade and credit, and included the grades in the GPA.  I provided course descriptions for all home based courses.  I did not list any test scores on my transcript.

At college fairs I have asked about homeschool transcripts and kept hearing "Please don't send us all that stuff!" You have to ask at every college, but it seemed quite a few wanted just a one or two page transcript. The only scores I include are AP next to the corresponding class.

For course descriptions, definitely ask the college.  I don't think I sent any for Campbell girl.  For State girl I sent them to 2 colleges.  When State girl was looking at colleges, one of the big state uni's told us not to include descriptions for "normal" classes.  There is a usual plan for classes like biology, chemistry, algebra 1, geometry, etc.  But our history classes and literature classes had titles like "History of the Middle Ages".  They wanted a description for something different like that.

I was at a college fair in the spring.  I showed by transcript and course descriptions to three admissions reps (ie, not just local alumni), including the rep from the Coast Guard Academy (because they specify that they want to see course descriptions).  The three who saw what I had said that it would be helpful.  I have a long paragraph for each course, along with the textbook used or a short booklist.  Right now my full set of course descriptions fits on about six pages.

One thing I'm not clear on is how you would send course descriptions only to schools that wanted to see them if you are submitting the transcript via the Common Application.  I can see not sending a big portfolio.  But I also think that an admissions office can pretty easily decide that they only need to skip course descriptions or spot check a couple they are less sure of.  

Or is there some way of only sending a transcript to some schools and sending a transcript, course description and school profile to others?

One thing I'm not clear on is how you would send course descriptions only to schools that wanted to see them if you are submitting the transcript via the Common Application.  I can see not sending a big portfolio.  But I also think that an admissions office can pretty easily decide that they only need to skip course descriptions or spot check a couple they are less sure of.  

Or is there some way of only sending a transcript to some schools and sending a transcript, course description and school profile to others?

For the schools my daughters applied to, only one used the Common App, one that wanted course descriptions.  I don't remember how we did it, so don't ask.  Everyone got a hard copy of the transcript even the school using the Common App.

Thanks for all the advice.  The sample transcript that I was following including all the test scores on the transcript and I think it looks nice there plus I think it makes it easier to ensure that score reports have been matched to the correct student.  The sample had all the parts of the ACT score listed but I think I will just list the composite and call it good and not worrying about the subscores.

As an offshoot questions to course descriptions, my DS took Calculus, chemistry and advanced chem prior to high school, however in high school he took AP Calc BC and AP Chemistry. I was thinking of leaving those 3 classes off the transcript (I'll admit it's because I'm feeling lazy and writing all these descriptions and tracking down books that we used eons ago just to find titles, authors, ISBN numbers is making me have a headache as well as feeling repetitious since he took similar subjects as AP classes in high school) since some kids never take those classes and just straight into the AP counterparts but parts of me wonders if I should show them since they show he did well on advanced material at a very young age.

I had the opposite experience as pp. An admissions counselor at dd's school said they routinely turn away homeschooled students with near-perfect scores because they only get a one-page transcript, and it isn't enough info. Admissions counselors from some selective colleges we spoke with during dd's junior year had similar advice. I think it just depends on the college. I tailor what I send to each school when possible. I think some depends on how adventurous you were, too. If your student took by-the-book courses, they don't really need course descriptions. If they took more unusual classes for a high schooler, I think schools can see the reason behind you sending descriptions.

I don't put math taken pre-high school on the transcript. Second dd's transcript starts with Calculus I. It wasn't a problem for older dd. Students so routinely take Algebra I and possibly Geometry before high school, even at our rural public school.

• Like 1

I had a box that listed high school level course taken prior to 9th grade. It was just a list. I didn't create course descriptions, include grades, or include them in GPA calculations. They were just listed in case someone wanted to see them. I would list Calc and Chem on the transcript in that same way.

I only listed the ACT composite, so I agree with that choice.

I did have all my course descriptions and they submitted with the transcript, but the one page transcript was right on top, so whatever the school wanted, it was there and easy to find.