Menu

Laptop for High School student: Rules?

We're getting dd(16) a laptop for her to use for school soon. She really does need to be able to work in her room, away from other distractions to complete her work. It has occurred to me, though, that we are probably going to need to set limits on it, or we may never see her again. (Thanks, social media!)

What kinds of rules do you have for your high school student?

None.

We did setup our wireless to automatically log ds out at midnight on school nights a few times when he started having self control issues. However, our goal was to learn to control themselves while they were still at home and could recover from mistakes more easily.

• Like 1

None here either. Both teen dds are actually in public school and both are given an iPad with internet access through their schools. They also have laptops at home. They usually are on them in the family room discussing their work and asking for input here and there. I do think we're fortunate in that neither dd are interested much in social media. They text their friends all the time on their phones but they both refuse to do the rest. They seem to regulate themselves quite well and haven't given a reason not to trust them.

• Like 1

None really. Ds has had a computer in his room for many years, however. 

A general rule we used early on was that he had to respond when called. His room is an attic dormer, so if I call upstairs he has to 1. answer and 2. come help if asked. He also programs, so if he was in the middle of something major, he had to respond in a nice tone and take a break as soon as possible. It's never been much of an issue. 

• Like 2

I'm not really worried about her using it inappropriately. My bigger concern is that she's an introvert and will disappear into her room for the duration. Now she at least pops out to use the computer in our family room, and we often have nice little chats before or after her computer session. I'm already missing her, lol. Maybe she'll still come out more than I think...

I'm not really worried about her using it inappropriately. My bigger concern is that she's an introvert and will disappear into her room for the duration. Now she at least pops out to use the computer in our family room, and we often have nice little chats before or after her computer session. I'm already missing her, lol. Maybe she'll still come out more than I think...

Tell her you miss her.

My introvert teens (kids #3 and #4) need to hear that periodically to remind them to join the human race.  DS19 prefers to use his laptop on the couch due to comfort, but often has his headphones on.  DD14 is as likely to be off somewhere drawing or playing on her DS3.   I bother them both periodically with typically inane Mom Comments regarding laundry, monsters and video games.

We are instituting a MGB hour this year, since DS19 will be here this fall.  MGB = Mandatory Board Game. 

• Like 1