Menu

Heartburn during pregnancy

DesertBlossom

I get heartburn all day every day during the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. I've never been able to pinpoint it to any specific food(s). It's just a nagging, daily thing. I've tried the Tums (which you shouldn't take too many of) and Papaya extract - both of which relieve my symptoms for about 5 minutes. My last couple pregnancies I've resorted to taking Zantac once daily. However, I had decided that the Zantac was the trigger for my restless legs at night. I'm at that point in this pregnancy again where the heartburn is constant. I started taking Zantac and I started having restless legs again, and then I remembered....

What are my other options for treating heartburn?  I'm not sure which is worse-- heartburn or restless legs. But I'd love to not have either! 

:grouphug:  I've been there, and it was awful. 

Can you take a magnesium supplement for the restless legs?   I had restless legs with all pregnancies, with and without the heartburn.  Taking extra magnesium made a huge difference.

Check with your doctor first, of course, but both my ob and my naturalpath suggested it to me, so I'm guessing it's on the safe side.  I took Natural Calm.

Have you tried baking soda?  Dilute 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in 1/2 cup of water and drink.  This gets my heartburn most of the time.   

I feel so sorry for you.  My first pregnancy was like yours but nothing ever helped.  I remember distinctly that as soon as my daughter was out of my body, the heartburn was gone.  I was hungry for real food and felt great for the first time in months. 

:grouphug:  I've been there, and it was awful. 

Can you take a magnesium supplement for the restless legs?   I had restless legs with all pregnancies, with and without the heartburn.  Taking extra magnesium made a huge difference.

Check with your doctor first, of course, but both my ob and my naturalpath suggested it to me, so I'm guessing it's on the safe side.  I took Natural Calm.

I take magnesium for the leg cramps that I also get when I'm pregnant. I wake up in the middle of the night with charley horses.  :crying: I feel like the magnesium helps with the restless legs, but only to a certain point.

I just looked up baking soda as a remedy-- and apparently it's not the best thing to take during pregnancy because it can increase water retention. I'll have to try a small amount and see if it helps though.

I also have some pickled ginger that I munched on during the first trimester. I will have to see if that helps.

Chocolate milk, of all things, helped during my last pregnancy.  I mixed my own with just a teensy bit of fancy schmancy organic chocolate syrup.  Not the healthiest thing in the world, but I'd take a sip every few minutes and that seemed to help during the afternoons when I had the worst heartburn issues.

Apple cider vinegar slightly diluted (not much, just a tablespoon or so), but make sure it is the good unfiltered kind. Sauerkraut helps me a lot, but also make sure it is the kind with no vinegar, just salt, water and cabbage. I buy Bubbies. Eat some about half hour before each meal, you only need a couple bites worth each time.

• Like 1

No help, but sympathy.  I had it really bad during the second half of my pregnancy with j.  It didn't matter how little I ate, I got it so easily.  It made me miserable too!  I tried baking soda in water and apple cider vinegar in water.  Neither helped much.

And I get restless legs so often even now.  Not fun.

OMG, you have every ounce of sympathy I have in my body.  I had heartburn for the entirety of both of my pregnancies, all day.  I'd curl up on the bed and cry it was so wearing.  The first OB I had was a crunchy type that said "try crackers and laying in bed a bit in the AM".  Well, I can't lay in bed the entire day and I was up to a tube of crackers a day.  Then she suggested Tums, until I was eating about 12 a day.  Thirteen years later, I can't look at a bottle of Tums without gagging.  So I switched OBs and told the new one I was going to go get Zantac whether he liked it or not.  The new OB prescribed the Zantac after I told him I was going to take it OTC anyway if he didn't and that worked.  Lesson learned -  no more crunchy OBs.  Ever.  Bummer the Zantac is a problem for you.  Can you try 1/2 a dose by cutting the pill in half?  Maybe that will help the heartburn without giving you restless legs.  Can you ask your OB if there is an alternate, safe medicine?

I get heartburn all day every day during the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. I've never been able to pinpoint it to any specific food(s). It's just a nagging, daily thing. I've tried the Tums (which you shouldn't take too many of) and Papaya extract - both of which relieve my symptoms for about 5 minutes. My last couple pregnancies I've resorted to taking Zantac once daily. However, I had decided that the Zantac was the trigger for my restless legs at night. I'm at that point in this pregnancy again where the heartburn is constant. I started taking Zantac and I started having restless legs again, and then I remembered....

What are my other options for treating heartburn?  I'm not sure which is worse-- heartburn or restless legs. But I'd love to not have either!