Menu

New tile floor problems

Kathryn

We had vinyl floors in the kitchen and hall bath. We had them replaced with tile about three months ago. A friend's husband who does handyman work (and has previously done fine work for us) did the work. We provided the tile and grout, he provided everything else. I was concerned at the time because I was under the impression that 24 or more hours were needed between the time the tile was laid and the time the grout was put on. He did the majority of the tile work in the kitchen on a Saturday night, and then came back Sunday morning to finish the tile in the kitchen, do the tile in the bath, and grout everything. When I asked him about it he said that it was fine. The floor looked great for the first two days or so, and then the grout started cracking in the kitchen. It developed deep gouges in several places, and a few tiles started making a popping sound when they were stepped on. We called him back and he pulled those tiles up and redid them. He said he didn't know why it happened, but it could be from the house moving. We haven't called him back since then, because we wanted to be sure all the problems were evident before we called him again but they just keep coming. The grout is now cracked in many places, there are deep gouges in several places, and quite a few tiles "pop" when stepped on. That is all in the kitchen. The hall bathroom has just started to have a couple of tiles pop when stepped on. Our bathroom has had tile in it since the house was built 30 years ago and has never had any problems. The floor does squeak in some areas of the house, but never in the kitchen or the hall bath, so I'm not sure about the house movement theory. How do we know for sure what's going on? Would you contact him again? What would you say?

Here is the best picture I could get of what the grout in the kitchen is doing:

C8792452-8DD8-4970-8CEF-BCB9C415E227.jpg

I don't think he did a good job with installation. We had the same experience and it was blamed on the house too. Nope. It was the installation. In our case it was installed over a new plywood subfloor and the installer didn't use the right amount of thinset.   That made the tile shift which led to the grout cracking.  Eventually tiles cracked. 

Ours looked exactly like your pics.  

• Like 1

If your floors tend to shift or flex you can get an underlay that protects your tiles from movement.

But looking at that picture, my money is on improperly mixed mortar and improperly mixed grout. If either are too wet then as it sets, the excess water dries and the grout will crumble and the mortar will come away from the tile.

Tile should also be "back-buttered", a thin layer of mortar on the back of the tile as well as the proper amount of mortar on the floor. Helps prevent air pockets which will cause your tiles to "Pop".

I'm not sure I would ask this guy back again. I wouldn't feel confident that he knows what he's doing, tbh. I would probably call in an experienced tile setter and have them properly installed.

Hope you get it all fixed up!

• Like 5

In all tile we have have had installed there was a wait (at least overnight and longer in the bathroom) before the grout was installed. I agree with kitten18 in regards to possibilities.

You can expect some cracking along the wall if you connect to more tile, for that instance the contractors suggested sealing those particular connections to prevent it or using grout caulk to fill the spacing (two different companies, both with the same warning and suggestions).  In that case they make coordinating textured caulk specifically for that purpose.  That is not what you have happening.

unless you've had an earthquake - that's poor installation.

is he licensed and bonded?  is this his business - or just side money?

you may or may not get him to fix it (even if he is a pro. for some, it's cheaper to take the hit of not getting paid than go back and repair). ask yourself how far you are willing to take it?

contact him, and let him clearly know what you expect him to do to fix it.  or to pay you the money to have a professional fix it.  be prepared for him to do nothing willingly.

I would get a couple pro's in to look at it and give estimates on what needs doing, and what it would cost to fix it.  I'd take that information to him.

• Like 3

I would wonder what he used for underpayment (should be concrete backer board.) The mortar does need the curing time before grouting. We have had ALOT of tile put in over the years and this is always a BIG DEAL. The curing time is important. Also, no one should have been walking on the mortared tiles for about 24 hours. This is not house movement... I would have him make it right, even if it means ripping it out and starting over. But have some documentation to back you up from some home improvement resources (I don't think the hive will count;-) Sorry you are going through this.

• Like 1

Ditto the other replies. That is a crappy job. Waiting 24 hours before grouting is necessary. The tiles popping are probably due to not enough thinset. The grout crumbling is due to not enough water/improper mixing (your grout looks dry) AND not letting the thinset dry completely before grouting. Dude probably grouted with still-damp thinset which allowed the tiles to shift a bit, helping the grout crumble.

The house settling wouldn't cause damage like that so fast. I live on the side of a mountain and after 10 years of settling, I am just now noticing grout issues from settling/grout aging. I'm sorry, but your friend's husband did a crappy, crappy job.

• Like 2

A friend's husband who does handyman work (and has previously done fine work for us) did the work. We provided the tile and grout, he provided everything else.

If it was free work, I would just say "thank you" and never bring it up and pay for the repairs / re-do, and remember never to have a friend do something this technical for me again.

If he was paid... I would probably thank him less effusively and everything else the same. I would only give feedback if he asked specifically. "Well, we did have to reset some tiles as this house seems to require a concrete backer" or something like that.

I would not want him to re-do it because there were so many fundamental mistakes.

I also would be concerned about my friendship if I asked him to totally re-do it, but I guess it depends on the friend.

I am very sorry. That must be really upsetting.

It was not free. I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know if he's bonded. This is a side business. She's not really a friend anymore. We were in playgroup together when our 9yos were 2-4. We are now just Facebook friends. So, if feelings are hurt it doesn't really change my life. I don't know that I want him to do the fixing, but we really don't have money to redo it all over again. The first time stretched us.

He did use cement backer board, so if he did something wrong I'd think it was in mixing mortar and/or grout, laying the mortar and/or grout, and/or not leaving enough time between them.

We have approximately 4000 square feet of living space and the floor is tile (tiles are installed on top of concrete).  The man who installed our floor tiles was about 21 years old (that was 11 years ago) and he had a lot of experience helping to build houses.  He  also installed the tile on the walls, in the bathrooms and in the kitchen. We have no problems with any of the tile that he installed.  I mentioned your thread to my wife when we were eating  We believe that:

(1) The man who installed your tile had little or no experience installing tile.   Experience is very important, with any type of work.

and/or 

(2)  Possibly the Grout was not the correct type.

It was not free. I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know if he's bonded. This is a side business. She's not really a friend anymore. We were in playgroup together when our 9yos were 2-4. We are now just Facebook friends. So, if feelings are hurt it doesn't really change my life. I don't know that I want him to do the fixing, but we really don't have money to redo it all over again. The first time stretched us.

He did use cement backer board, so if he did something wrong I'd think it was in mixing mortar and/or grout, laying the mortar and/or grout, and/or not leaving enough time between them.

Well, in that case, I'd go for the break-up in friendship if that happens to come out of it, and demand he re-do it according to certain specifications.

I am very sorry you're going through this. How very stressful.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just an update:

DH did contact him. He was very apologetic and said he's done hundreds of floors and never had this happen. He was here all day Saturday and Sunday carefully taking up the tile and scraping them to reuse them. He took up the backer board and put new board down. He laid the tiles yesterday and is planning on coming tonight to grout.

I really hate not having a kitchen and we can't do school because our dining room, where we work, is filled with our appliances. I really hope this works and we don't have to go through this again.

ETA: And it's my middle son's birthday and I can't make him a cake or dinner which is our tradition.

• Like 1