Menu

Tell me what you think about short division (Saxon math)

Seasider

I don't recall learning short division, and I honestly don't remember going through it with my older kids. What do you think? Is it helpful/necessary? Or does it go into the same category as casting out nines?

Just trying to determine how much time to devote to it as I lesson plan.

I think that short division is extremely helpful. I never learned it in school, but my mother taught me when I was in 4th grade and it made my live so much easier!

I wasn't able to teach either of my kids long division without teaching them short division first.

I think that short division is extremely helpful. I never learned it in school, but my mother taught me when I was in 4th grade and it made my live so much easier!

I wasn't able to teach either of my kids long division without teaching them short division first.

Ok, then I should probably not gloss over it. I can't for the life of me remember what my other kids did with this. That's frustrating!

I thought everybody learnt short division before long division, until I found that MM makes you do long for everything and had to show the kids myself. I don't see the point of using long division for everything. I always tell the kids that there is usually more than one way to solve a problem, and that part of problem solving is picking the best/easiest tool for the job. Doing long division all the time seems to me like pulling out a food processor to stir sugar in your coffee.

• Like 4

We were taught short division first at school and then long division for dividing by two digit and greater numbers. My DD7 has been taught long division first and I will have to go back and teach her short division later - short division involves many mental steps which can lead to errors unless both multiplication and subtraction facts are very well known which is perhaps why it is usually taught with dividing by the smallest numbers first.

I was really digging this article until it said "Long division now properly belongs to the history of mathematics."

And then this gem: "For those students still required to do problems in which the divisor has two or more digits, we include the following example."

Now I want my two minutes back.

I was really digging this article until it said "Long division now properly belongs to the history of mathematics."

And then this gem: "For those students still required to do problems in which the divisor has two or more digits, we include the following example."

Now I want my two minutes back.

Haha! Eat the fish, spit out the bones...

Asimov predicted this, and he's right: Being able to do ones own math really does give a feeling of power.

Nine times seven, thought Shuman with deep satisfaction, is sixty-three, and I don't need a computer to tell me so. The computer is in my own head.

(Of course, I haven't read the link. If I'm misreading the quoted portion upthread, forgive me.)

• Like 1