Menu

Preparing for Emergencies

mommymonster

Last night my Facebook feed was inundated with this article (linked here) about the "overdue" earthquake for the Cascadia subduction zone. While DH and I both decided we were concerned, we're not thinking about selling our house quite yet.  :w00t:

The article did underscore (for me at least) the need for emergency planning. Right now, the only thing going for us is that we camp a ton, so we have good tents, sleeping bags, and a propane stove. And some jugs of water stored in the garage.

I was wondering if anyone had advice or resources (preferably of the relatively factual, non-hysterical variety) to get us started with building a pantry for longer-term emergencies? I know Costco has supplies, but that seems like a huge one-time investment. I'd like to build the pantry over the next 3-6 months so I can stretch out the costs.

Also, this might be more complex, but we have a three-story, daylight-basement house with a huge brick chimney in the center of the house. Where should we store all of these emergency supplies? The house was built in 1981, so post-some earthquake building code regulations, but not by much. I'd hate to survive a huge earthquake only to not be able to eat any of our nicely prepared emergency food... We live in a suburban area, so I can't just dig a root cellar. 

:zombiechase:

I saw the article - but was already familiar with most of what it said.  (it's well written.)

here is a link to show the hazards for particular areas.  some areas are more at risk for liquefaction.

http://www.trulia.com/for_sale/Seattle,WA/10_zm/47.3951044774849,47.8329875908461,-122.69982694380468,-121.9431435941953_xy/0-10000_price/SINGLE-FAMILY_HOME_type/map_v/type:seismic_hazard_hazards

and flooding - in 1700 - there was a tsunami in Puget sound and lake Washington . . . .

sorry I don't have links.  the local news sites will often have links on "how to prepare for an earthquake". and lists of where to start.  we did a lot of this years ago.  my house is similar age.

the fact that Cascadia hasn't moved in a few years is a concern.  over the 10K years, slightly more ruptures have been on the southern end, at a slightly lower magnitude. re: 8 vs 9.  (they didn't mention that, but I've read up on it too many times.)

first -

is your house bolted to the foundation? 

bookcases

water heater

etc. - anything in danger of falling

should be screwed to the wall with plumbers tape.  (it also keeps climbing kids from pulling them over.  I have a vivid memory of some toddler with a head injury screaming in an er because he'd pulled a grandfather clock over on top of himself.)

know where the gas comes into your house, and how to turn it off.  BUT, don't turn it off unless you have a leak (it smells like sulpher/rotten eggs.)  or you may have to wait quite awhile to have it turned back on.

water in the water heater can be used to flush toilets - don't rely upon it being potable.

cabinet latches don't just keep little ones out - they keep cabinet doors from opening in a quake.  (even smaller quakes can make a huge mess.)

have supplies in an area easy to get to and grab. 

also have some supplies handy in your car. (a pair of walking shoes is also recommended.)  helps with bad weather and traffic tie ups too.  (or screaming preschoolers who need something to snack on right now. . . . )

have contacts out of state/ the danger zone to contact afterwards when long distance lines are sometimes more reliable than local lines.

we do have other faults likely to produce quakes on a more frequent scale.  my mom was downtown seattle during the 49 quake (7.1) . then the 65 (6.7) , and the 2001 (6.8) . . . those were all above 6+.

and then there were like three? smaller ones in the 90's.  one sounded like a truck rumbling down the hill before the shaking started.

eta: the LDS church has lots of info on emergency preparedness for food storage.  how to build it, how much to plan for per person.  include seasonal clothing.

here's a link of subjects used to teach youth.

https://www.lds.org/youth/activities/category/young-women-camp/preparatory-camp-activities?lang=eng

and more family centric.

https://www.lds.org/topics/emergency-preparedness?lang=eng

• Like 2

gardenmom5, Thanks so much for your response! I've had a conversation with DH about your questions, and we're mostly in good shape there. We had two climbers, so everything is attached to the walls. We did a "where's the gas line" show-and-tell (with DH doing the showing and telling). I have a few areas in my house that don't make sense in an earthquake zone -- namely the shelves with glass stuff waiting to fall all over the place -- that I will overhaul in the next few days. I looked at the LDS links, which provided good advice as well.

I will admit to cruising around the internet doing additional research. Many of the sites were super useful, but it's one of those topics where you are never more than two clicks from an EMP disaster where cannibalism and rabies are the norm and civilization is over. It's a little much to take in.  :huh:

• Like 1

Do you have a backyard/deck? My friend store her family earthquake supplies in deck boxes. That way it is extra seating space on normal days and if worse case her single family home collapsed, the deck boxes should be still intact. She has a small patio shed at her backyard too with some supplies. They have a set of spare clothes for their kids in each of their cars.

Earthquakes can happen in the middle of the night, so it's helpful to keep a bag with a set of clothing, SHOES, and a flashlight under or right near your bed.  Also, don't hang anything over your bed that you wouldn't want to fall on you.  

It's a good idea to keep some grab-and-go supplies near the door so you can have a backpack of basics with you if you have to evacuate on short notice.  

At our last house, we kept our emergency supplies in a small, plastic shed in the backyard.  We figured that we'd be able to get at the stuff in our shed even if the house collapsed.  The (rental) house before that had no shed, so we kept supplies in a couple of big Rubbermaid tubs in the backyard.

We get regular groceries for our earthquake kits and try to focus on canned and dried foods that need little prep.  With little kids, it's also important to pick foods you know they'll eat.  We eat our "earthquake food" and re-buy once a year or so.  

• Like 1

I live in an area where the possibility of being cut off by flood is a yearly concern now apparently (I'm starting to wonder if drought was the better option, bloody australia!). While our house wouldn't be flooded as we are on high ground, we need to be prepared for periods of time without power or access to shops. 

For the pantry, it's a matter of buying extra. So, if I need to buy two cans of kidney beans, I'll buy three (and then the following week, when I need two more cans, I'll buy two or three more, instead of using the spare and buying only one). If I need pasta, I'll grab two packs. I keep the ingredients to make a dozen or so meals in our pantry. Once a year or so, often by necessity due to unexpected expenses, we will go without grocery shopping for a week or two, eat all the food we've stored up in the cupboard (and use the saved grocery money for something)  and then begin setting things aside again, so we don't end up with 10 year old cans of beans lying around  While I personally try to keep enough food on hand for a week or two of normal meals, even just tins of beans and ramen can be enough to have 'something' there, no one is talking about a permanent diet. You COULD live off nothing but baked beans and ramen for a week or two in an emergency 

Fresh bottled water, lots of it. We live on tank water so this isn't actually an issue for us personally, but if I relied on town water I'd be saving enough to last a week for drinking. 

Medication. This is a tricky one, since, obviously, stockpiling prescription medication isn't exactly a good thing. But, in our example, my husband gets new pills every two months, and tries to ensure he is never left with less than two weeks worth before he gets new ones. Use the old ones first obviously, but keep a couple of weeks ahead instead of filling a script at the last minute (and, if you are evacuated, REMEMBER TO TAKE IT WITH YOU TO THE EVACUATION CENTRE). You wouldn't believe how many people, in the chaos of the moment, don't think to take their medication with them. I believe children who don't have their asthma puffers at evac centres for bushfires are a bit of a problem, since it's an easy one to forget, especially if the dosage is 'as needed', but the smoke in the air can set the asthma off.

And on that note, if you need baby formula, try to stay a can ahead. When we were flooded in a couple of years ago there was a big issue with a few particularly isolated families having enough of everything except formula, which I believe was in an airlifted parcel they got a few days later. When I have an infant I always have one in the cupboard, and when I open that one I buy a new one to replace it. 

Torches and Radio with extra batteries, and a first aid kit, are obvious things you've likely already thought of.

• Like 2

I don't know much about earthquakes. I do know from our fire experience last year that grab and go food is a must. You don't want stuff that requires too much prep. Also water - heaps and some kind of power ade or hydrating drink can be good. Uht or powdered milk if you drink coffee regularly as you don't want a caffeine headache.

Good on you for planning ahead.

• Like 1

I have a few areas in my house that don't make sense in an earthquake zone -- namely the shelves with glass stuff waiting to fall all over the place -- that I will overhaul in the next few days. 

there's a putty you can use on the bottom of fragile breakable display items to make it "stick" to the shelf.   my mom had some when I was growing up after the '65 quake.

this has been a good reminder for me there are things that need updating .. . 

oh- and have a wrench duct taped to the meter.  (so you don't have to look for one if needed.)

know where your water meter is incase a line breaks outside.  also know where it comes into your house to turn it off inside.

remember - any food items outside/in an unheated area are subject to temperature fluctuations and doesn't last as long.   it has generally been recommended the food in those kits should be changed every six months - every twelve months at most.  I used to have a pack in my car, and people would take it out when they used my car to haul stuff - and not put it back.

I prep for the pets too. Dog food, cat food. And keep meds in mind.

My DH freaked out about Y2K so he bought a ton of food that lasts for 25 yrs. It made him feel better so I didn't argue about it.

Also, the Red Cross has some awesome first aid kits -- another great thing to have.

Alley

I saw this on the news today and was so fascinated/scared for those in that area.   :(  When it happens one day, it will be devastating.  There are so many resources out there to help with emergency prep.  We are slowly building our 3-4 day backpacks for every person in the house in the event that we need to pick up and GO.  (We're not in the Pacific NW, though; this is just general prep.  We've had trees fall down and smash power lines in the middle of a heatwave (same in that blackout of 2003, was it?) so prep is good for anyone!)  

Reader's Digest has some great books about learning skills for a non-electric situation, old-fashioned skills, etc.

Thanks for the tip about first aid, Alley!

• Like 1

I saw this on the news today and was so fascinated/scared for those in that area.   :(  When it happens one day, it will be devastating.  There are so many resources out there to help with emergency prep.  We are slowly building our 3-4 day backpacks for every person in the house in the event that we need to pick up and GO.  (We're not in the Pacific NW, though; this is just general prep.  We've had trees fall down and smash power lines in the middle of a heatwave (same in that blackout of 2003, was it?) so prep is good for anyone!)  

Reader's Digest has some great books about learning skills for a non-electric situation, old-fashioned skills, etc.

Thanks for the tip about first aid ,its, Alley!

prep is definitely good for anyone.  trains derails and take out infrastructure (so do trucks.  there was an oversized truck that took out bridge over a river on I-5.  glad I didn't live where it happened.  DOT was scrambling for a temporary solution plus having to build a new bridge.  fortunately the people who ended up in the river were only shaken with bumps and bruises..)  the wind blows, blizzards, etc.

we've had two times we lost power for a week. in the winter of course. did I mention we live in a LARGE metro area?  we have a gas cook top and water heater for a reason.  dh wants a natural gas generator too.

LDS church has tons of resources because they encourage their members to stockpile I want to say a year of food and supplies.

We live in hurricane land.  I bought this thing which goes in the bathtub that I can fill with water.  We have a solar shower.  Solar flashlights, etc.

I would look for a solar charger for cell phones and stuff (assuming they'd work).

We have six big containers of freeze dried fruit that are supposed to last 25 years if not opened.

We have peanut butter, tuna, and other foods that would work in an emergency.

Don't forget cash.  It's always a good idea to have some cash on hand.

I have been thinking about this lately as well, though we are far enough away from the Mississippi River to escape the worst of an earthquake. One thing I have read is that it is important to have some basic supplies in each vehicle - water, food, copies of important documents, etc - in case something happens while you are away from home and unable to get to your house for a while.

Ready.gov has some good information about how to prepare for emergencies - I was surprised to read that they recommend everyone have 2 week worth of food and supplies on hand.

Ready.gov has some good information about how to prepare for emergencies - I was surprised to read that they recommend everyone have 2 week worth of food and supplies on hand.

Power lines restoration is usually to hospitals first before residential. Gas pipes need to be checked before households can turn theirs back on. Roads may be impassable. So not surprised by the advice of 2 weeks supplies.

Here power outage in the more rural areas can last a week and that is just downed power lines.

Well, at this point, I have a four-day supply of emergency food hiding out in the garage. I've decided to start with the foods I know my kids will eat, as we do have significant eating issues at our house. I've also corralled camping gear so that it is in the garage as well (on a concrete slab, instead of over the basement). We have an emergency kit for both vehicles, so that is good. 

My next steps include Red Cross training and joining a neighborhood emergency responders organization. I also do want to start putting away for longer term emergencies, in terms of staples like flour, dried food and whatnot. I need to make copies of critical documents. This planning business certainly takes some doing. 

Thanks, everyone, for the great recommendations. 

this came across the local news site, both about Cascadia, and preparing for an earthquake.

since you're in this area, I thought you might find it relevant.  I haven't had time to read it, but the station is usually credible for this stuff.

http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/2015/07/20/earthquake-natural-disaster-preparedness/30422247/

there are also links to the red cross site in what to do.

We were woken up by an earthquake just before 3am this morning. We went back to sleep.

"FREMONT -- A 4.0-magnitude earthquake in the East Bay early Tuesday morning rattled nerves and interrupted sleep but caused no damage, officials said.

Centered in Fremont, the 2:41 a.m., quake initially registered at 4.1 but later was lowered to a 4.0, according to the U.S. Geological Survey."

• Like 2

We were woken up by an earthquake just before 3am this morning. We went back to sleep.

"FREMONT -- A 4.0-magnitude earthquake in the East Bay early Tuesday morning rattled nerves and interrupted sleep but caused no damage, officials said.

Centered in Fremont, the 2:41 a.m., quake initially registered at 4.1 but later was lowered to a 4.0, according to the U.S. Geological Survey."

I remember being woken up one winter when a neighbors big leaf maple came crashing down about 3am. I did feel the impact.

I'm too far from fremont.

in other news - I'm enjoying the cool, and wanting rain.  I have so many natives and well established plants/shrubs/trees in my yard are dying.

Well, I don't know a single thing about prepping for an earthquake. But we do get storms that can take out power for several days and blizzards that will leave a person unable to get down your country road for a week and of course without power in frigid temps.

So, we have both propane and wood heat which means we don't let the propane tank run low nor the wood pile, and a generator and 40 gallons of gasoline to run it...this is for the well pump mostly. We have solar panels and enough battery bank to run the electronics on the furnace and the boiler. Since I do a lot of canning and dehydrating we always have lots of veggies and fruits for the winter, and our freezer is in the basement so if it gets really cold outside it stays cool enough down there to not thaw if we are careful about how many times we open it in a week.

My main stockpile is for emergency medical. We live 6 miles/13 minutes from the small ER at the county hospital, and when the roads are bad it is a LOT longer than that. So I like to have warming blankets, lots of bandages and gauze, tape, splints, etc. on hand because with all of the neighborhood men out there working with power tools after the storm ceases, I like to be prepared.

We keep water, granola, beef jerky, blankets, flashlights, flares, and first aid kits in the cars.

the thing about earthquakes - they can rip the house off the foundation.  water mains can break, bridges collapse, etc.  oh yeah, and the facades of brick buildings come crumbling down.

I was at the school for the Nisqually quake in 2001 (I had both boys with me) - no one was allowed back inside until it had been inspected and was declared safe.  the high school kids had to stay on the field and weren't allowed to call home to be picked up.  I'm sorry it didn't occur to me to go up there and get my girls.