Menu

IEW or EIW?

If you had to choose either IEW or Essentials in Writing for an 8th grader, which would you choose and why?

I've got this upcoming year covered. This should our last ridiculously difficult year with my twins (please, LORD!!), so I think we'll be able to handle branching out a bit more after that.

I've looked at samples for the both of these programs and think the instructors both look engaging.  

What sort of writing instruction have you already done with this child, if any, and how did they respond? Do they have any weak areas? Areas of strength?

He's done a few years of CTGE and a few years of CLE language arts with some written narrations and free writes along the way.  He's definitely a math/science/left brained child. Writing isn't particularly enjoyable for him even though his grammar and spelling is quite good.  He thrives with explicit instruction and does NOT do well with more open ended assignments.

We use CLE LA also, but I found there wasn't a lot of writing in 6 and 7.

I'm noticing this. The grammar instruction is solid, but I thought there'd be more writing in the level he's at. The fact that EIW is significantly cheaper doesn't hurt.  I've even considered WWS1. Writing is MY weak area to so all this stuff makes my brain melt. I'd rather teach Algebra.

I'd do IEW. I've done both, but after IEW EIW was so simple and light I gave it to a friend. Like everything, ymmv, but if you're looking for a super solid framework to build on, and not much past writing instruction (we did CLE LA 3-7, and I agree is weak on teaching writing), I think IEW is totally worth the time and $.

• Like 2

Without hesitation, IEW.  I have used EIW (level 9) so I am familiar with it.  EIW was just "ok".  I am so impressed with IEW, and I feel a lot more confident about writing.  And it's something you can use for all of your children.  You may never need to buy anything else for writing (unless you want to buy some of their other products to make life a tad easier).  It basically gives you the tools you need to guide your kids through writing.

Fork over for the Teacher Seminar.  It's worth every penny.

• Like 1

I let my DD decide which she would prefer.  She hated Pudewa's voice and told me it would drive her crazy.  However she liked EIW very much.  So that's what we went with.  We'll be using it along with WWS1 and ELTL for 7th this fall.

Well, that's interesting. I've heard people complain about his voice, but honestly, I don't get it. I've heard him before and the tone of his voice didn't cross my mind. Perhaps I should have the kids listen and see what they say.  

I've heard the same kind of complaints about Jim Weiss's voice, but he is a celebrity at my house.

I let my DD decide which she would prefer.  She hated Pudewa's voice and told me it would drive her crazy.  However she liked EIW very much.  So that's what we went with.  We'll be using it along with WWS1 and ELTL for 7th this fall.

:iagree:

This is where I was. I *love* IEW, but ds13 hates it, and the videos. He was a reluctant writer, but EIW works well for him/us. 

• Like 1

I didn't realize the difference in instruction between EIW and IEW would be THAT noticeable.  I've wanted to try it for years but have put off using it simply due to the cost.  ((sigh)) Decisions decisions

We actually had the opposite experience and prefer EIW's instruction. IEW left mine confused and frustrated, whereas Essentials gave him the needed tools to be confident and got him to use more description in his writing. I compared our experience with each in this post. Here's a review I did the first year we used it (we have used levels 7-10, and I have 11 ready to go for DD this year). 

• Like 5

Well, that's interesting. I've heard people complain about his voice, but honestly, I don't get it. I've heard him before and the tone of his voice didn't cross my mind. Perhaps I should have the kids listen and see what they say.  

We had an issue with EIW and Mathew Steven's voice.  Don't forget with IEW, you don't need to use the student DVD's, you can teach straight from the TWSS or use a theme book.

• Like 1

We actually had the opposite experience and prefer EIW's instruction. IEW left mine confused and frustrated, whereas Essentials gave him the needed tools to be confident and got him to use more description in his writing. I compared our experience with each in this post. Here's a review I did the first year we used it (we have used levels 7-10, and I have 11 ready to go for DD this year). 

This post was very helpful. Or rather, now I have no clue which program I'm going to choose. ;) 

• Like 2

This post was very helpful. Or rather, now I have no clue which program I'm going to choose. ;)

Forum feedback is why I went with EIW. DH approved me for the IEW I'd I wanted it...but I decided I didn't ;). It seemed more convoluted and the writing outcomes can apparently be more florid and formulaic. I went for simpler.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well, after agonizing over this for well over a month, I believe I'll be going with IEW. I've been listening to some of the free seminars by Andrew Pudewa and I'm sold. My ISTJ self feels like I may actually be able to teach writing in this may.

I'm thinking SWI-B would work for my 5th and 7th graders. My daughter is almost 11, so she's an older 5th grader and writing is her strength. My son's weakness is writing, so I think placing them together would work for this subject. 

Thoughts are still welcome.

• Like 4

Well, after agonizing over this for well over a month, I believe I'll be going with IEW. I've been listening to some of the free seminars by Andrew Pudewa and I'm sold. My ISTJ self feels like I may actually be able to teach writing in this may.

I'm thinking SWI-B would work for my 5th and 7th graders. My daughter is almost 11, so she's an older 5th grader and writing is her strength. My son's weakness is writing, so I think placing them together would work for this subject. 

It always feels good to have a decision made! Hope you have a great year!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

How did it go with IEW?

Looks like you are using EIW now.

Can you do a comparison?

Pam

How did it go with IEW?

Looks like you are using EIW now.

Can you do a comparison?

Pam

We got about half way through SWI B with ease. The checklist then started to become tedious and life had some hiccups...which just led me to feel very behind.  So, I did end up returning it. After that I essentially created my own writing projects and the skills from IEW actually stuck!

This year my oldest is using EIW 9. It is definitely a more independent program. And it's a program that isn't designed to fill a whole year which makes it no pressure to slug through. My son prefers it....because it's easier. But I don't think he's really learned anything. And his writing has seemed to take a step BACKWARDS. In between essay units from EIW, I've been essentially reteaching them myself using the principles from IEW and his writing is far and away better when we do it this way.

I don't regret using EIW this year, because I really did NEED something less intensive for me right now. Also, if we had never tried it, I would always have wondered. ;)  That being said, I have already purchased SWI C for next year.

Hope that helps a bit.

(My other child that I used IEW with before is using Good and the Beautiful Language arts and loathes it, BUT she told me that if I made her switch curricula again mid year, she'd lose her mind.)

We got about half way through SWI B with ease. The checklist then started to become tedious and life had some hiccups...which just led me to feel very behind.  So, I did end up returning it. After that I essentially created my own writing projects and the skills from IEW actually stuck!   Do I understand this!

This year my oldest is using EIW 9. It is definitely a more independent program. And it's a program that isn't designed to fill a whole year which makes it no pressure to slug through. My son prefers it....because it's easier. But I don't think he's really learned anything. And his writing has seemed to take a step BACKWARDS. In between essay units from EIW, I've been essentially reteaching them myself using the principles from IEW and his writing is far and away better when we do it this way.

This does not sound good.  :(

I don't regret using EIW this year, because I really did NEED something less intensive for me right now. Also, if we had never tried it, I would always have wondered. ;)  That being said, I have already purchased SWI C for next year.

Hope that helps a bit.

(My other child that I used IEW with before is using Good and the Beautiful Language arts and loathes it, BUT she told me that if I made her switch curricula again mid year, she'd lose her mind.)   Mine have promised a revolt here for this, too!

Such a lot to think about.

I might still go with it for the 'no pressure' right now, and see how it goes.  

Thanks for sharing.

Pam

• Like 1

If I has to choose one of the two, I’d go with Essentials in Writing. Why? Price, easy to use, aligns with expectations for ACT & SAT, includes short videos that teach, has option for grading.

Having said that, I’ve used both and now use neither.

Sorry. I just realized this thread was resurrected and is old😊

Edited by mytwomonkeys
  • Like 1

If I has to choose one of the two, I’d go with Essentials in Writing. Why? Price, easy to use, aligns with expectations for ACT & SAT, includes short videos that teach, has option for grading.

Having said that, I’ve used both and now use neither.

Sorry. I just realized this thread was resurrected and is old😊

I resurrected it.  :)

So did you think IEW was not easy to use?  In what ways?  What was different about it's alignment for ACT & SAT?

Pam

I resurrected it. :)

So did you think IEW was not easy to use? In what ways? What was different about it's alignment for ACT & SAT?

Pam

I used it in 5th grade with my daughter, but I’m sure it prepares students just fine for high school writing. It was not difficult to use at all, in fact, I’d say the program was fairly easy to implement.

In third & fourth grade my daughter had used BJU Writing & Grammar with the dvd’s, so she really was fairly strong in writing already and was working on 5 paragraph essays.

We started with IEW at at the beginner level, so for her it was very basic and easy, but she did like it (pick 3 words per sentence and drawings or symbols were free if I remember right).

She went on to public middle school (she’s 16 now & amazing😊). I ended up selling IEW & making more than what I paid - so resale is great!

With my son, I just don’t use a curriculum at all. He’s in 8th grade and for writing we use ACT prompts and focus on outlining and papers (not keyword outlines), and this works very well. I had used EIW with him previously & it’s closer to how I teach, so I prefer it. And money is a huge factor, so having used both I would return to EIW if I had to choose between the two.

Edited by mytwomonkeys
  • Like 1

I used it in 5th grade with my daughter, but I’m sure it prepares students just fine for high school writing. It was not difficult to use at all, in fact, I’d say the program was fairly easy to implement.

In third & fourth grade my daughter had used BJU Writing & Grammar with the dvd’s, so she really was fairly strong in writing already and was working on 5 paragraph essays.

We started with IEW at at the beginner level, so for her it was very basic and easy, but she did like it (pick 3 words per sentence and drawings or symbols were free if I remember right).

She went on to public middle school (she’s 16 now & amazing😊). I ended up selling IEW & making more than what I paid - so resale is great!

With my son, I just don’t use a curriculum at all. He’s in 8th grade and for writing we use ACT prompts and focus on outlining and papers (not keyword outlines), and this works very well. I had used EIW with him previously & it’s closer to how I teach, so I prefer it. And money is a huge factor, so having used both I would return to EIW if I had to choose between the two.

The price difference is not as big as it used to be and EiW has stopped doing the workbooks by download.