Menu

spin off on hs regrets: handwriting..

I am there. So how do I fix it? I know more practice but could you tell me what it is you are doing?

I can't seem to get him to correct his hand position. I will say, that after viewing many young adults writing (like at the dr. office or whatever), I am glad ds holds his pencil correctly, imo. You know, at least I did that. Now how about getting the rest of it on track?

I am there. So how do I fix it? I know more practice but could you tell me what it is you are doing?

I can't seem to get him to correct his hand position. I will say, that after viewing many young adults writing (like at the dr. office or whatever), I am glad ds holds his pencil correctly, imo. You know, at least I did that. Now how about getting the rest of it on track?

I guess that I wonder if it's really worth the battle.

My son's cursive (and printing) has improved dramatically after using Zaner-Bloser workbooks. (I just picked Z-B because I like that style and my dc find the books interesting)

Ds is using HWT but I'll look at Z-B more closely. He likes cursive and asks to do more so I guess getting more cursive stuff not overkill.

She had a workshop on this last spring at our homeschool conference in Minnesota. I am dilligently working through her process and it is making a huge difference in my boys. The hard part is that you need to help your child with it every day for six months. That is how long it takes for permanent success.

Here are links to her articles and handouts.

http://www.diannecraft.org/article-003.htm

http://www.diannecraft.org/handouts.htm (click on smart kids who hate to write)

If you choose to use her method, make sure you follow all of her guidelines carefully!

If you have any questions let me know.

Danielle

Be really careful trying to force neat handwriting. Not every child is capable of the desirable handwriting in elementary school. I found that in my own classes. I also had illegible handwriting (including printing) until 12y/o. I didn't change anything, but it just happened. While I expect to be able to read--or decipher?--DC's handwriting, I don't place much value in it. Practically everything we do is electronic and becomes more so with each year. As long as they can write a readable document and/or phone number, it just isn't worthy of the battle IMO.

Z-B just looks more like the style I learned in school.:001_smile: Here are some sample pages from their workbooks you can download:

http://www.zaner-bloser.com/educator/products/handwriting/index.aspx?id=274

they aren't cheap....If I were to get this product, what should I get? I can I just get by with the student books?

My ds12.5 just in these last 2-3 months has learned to write beautifully.

For a long time he woulnd't use cursive when writing assignments, and I allowed that, because it was a battle having him write at all (and I don't use cursive as an adult).

I have had him continue daily handwriting practice for years- sometimes a handwriting program, but mostly using Startwrite and copywork passages. I have been through stages of just having him use printing, and others where i insisted he use cursive just for his handwriting practice.

He tried- I knew he was trying- but he just didn't have good fine motor control. I had pretty much resigned myself to him never being a neat handwriter.

Then this year he was diagnosed dyslexic. I had him learn Brain Gym with a kinesiologist who spent 6 months working with him- and in that time, wow, he just changed. He can now write a lot more, and he has beautiful handwriting. It was almost miraculous and virtually an apparently overnight change.

Now the challenge is to get his handwriting speed up because he is so proud of his beautiful handwriting he really takes his time with it. I have to really fight him to get him to cross something out instead of using an eraser when he is doing dictation.

So he is testimony to the power of persistence!

they aren't cheap....If I were to get this product, what should I get? I can I just get by with the student books?

I agree (they aren't cheap). Just getting the student book is fine, that's what we've done.

You can also create and print your own worksheets using their Fontsonline from the website.

My dd is 9 & I noticed she was forming some letters incorrectly too. We use Handwriting Without Tears, which is great on methods, I just didn't supervise enough. So now I am. I watch while she writes for spelling, and when we end our spelling lesson, I have her write 3 of each letter that I saw her form incorrectly, I remind her what kind of letter it is (mostly her mistakes are on diver letters, not sure why!). She is starting to self-correct & forming some of them correctly now w/o having to stop & correct, so it's making a difference. Hang in there! Merry :-)

Be really careful trying to force neat handwriting. Not every child is capable of the desirable handwriting in elementary school. I found that in my own classes. I also had illegible handwriting (including printing) until 12y/o. I didn't change anything, but it just happened. While I expect to be able to read--or decipher?--DC's handwriting, I don't place much value in it. Practically everything we do is electronic and becomes more so with each year. As long as they can write a readable document and/or phone number, it just isn't worthy of the battle IMO.

I've found this to be true with my twins. I tried EVERYTHING. Suddenly! this year (they're in 9th grade) I am amazed and surprised and delighted that each boy is writing not only legibly, but rather nicely! It was a joy to read their writing over the weekend as I caught up on correcting their work.

I do recommend teaching keyboard skills at an early age. The boys learned to type correctly and quickly by age 10. I think the ability to type helped them move forward with their writing skills. It's interesting, though, this year, they both seem to prefer working out their rough drafts on paper. Patience does pay off.

Handwriting Without Tears goes up to 5th grade level. I'd stick with that.

Also, about correct grip: 2 wrong, 3 correct: http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~pah37/grip.html

There is another page I'm looking for with like 5 or 6 appropriate grasps. If I find it, I'll post it. My fave is the pencil lying between the pointer and middle fingers, grasped by both fingers and thumb at tip.

Handwriting Without Tears goes up to 5th grade level. I'd stick with that.

Also, about correct grip: 2 wrong, 3 correct: http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~pah37/grip.html

There is another page I'm looking for with like 5 or 6 appropriate grasps. If I find it, I'll post it. My fave is the pencil lying between the pointer and middle fingers, grasped by both fingers and thumb at tip.

That is very interesting. With the exception of the last, I thought all of the others were incorrect. Ds pencil grip is find, it is his hand position. Kind of hard to describe but he writes from the side. His wrist is crooked to the left like they way a person holds a spoon to sip soup.

I've been reading through this topic, and I'm still torn.

DS has always had incredible handwriting (though he's getting lazy now.)

Both dds can write legibly, but neither come close to "properly." DD6 did improve with ZB, but she gets so emotional when I point out mistakes. And it's only with handwriting. She's fine with being corrected in other areas.

Dd5 loathes any kind of handwriting practice. She'll write quite a bit on her own, but completely resists any formal instruction.

We've come a long way when it comes to general "Idonwannas" so I've been hesitant to push the issue in this area. I can't decide if we should just enjoy the calm for a few more weeks/months, or rip the bandaid off and buckle down.