Menu

HELP: Ribs recipes say "long, slow" cooking time best, BUT ....

milovany

Ours always get done long before recipes say. Today's recipe was for a dry rub on almost boneless ribs, baked at 250 degrees for 7-8 hours, and the meat was done after 1.5 hours. Seems it would completely dry out if we kept at it for another several hours. Help?

Well, I put mine in a 300 oven for 3-4 hours and they are wonderful--I cover with foil and they are not dry-rub but a bit of bbq sauce, then finished on the grill with more sauce for about 10 minutes. They slip off the bones. Maybe the dry rub makes a difference.

But--are yours "tender" or "super tender?" lol So technical in my terms...I mean, are they done and tender or are they so tender they fall off the bone?

Honestly, ever since I discovered cooking ribs in the crockpot, I've abandoned all the other methods. Put them in a crockpot with whatever sauce or spices I want, turn on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours, and they just fall apart they're so tender.

• Like 1

This has been a long-standing argument in our house when I make ribs! Dh had a neighbor growing up that made amazing ribs and roasted them in the ovens for hours and hours. The only thing I can figure out is that the neighbor used some kind of wet marinade and constantly basted them. Even then, I'd think the ribs would be dry. I only roast them for a couple of hours. I don't see the sense in cooking them longer when they are tender and ready to eat!