Menu

Does such a computer based planner exist??? Skedtrack users???

I am considering the move from paper to a computer based planner, but am looking for something (preferably free would be great, but I would at least like a free trial before I commit to entering stuff so I can play around) that would allow for week long assignments (like read pages x-y and write at least 5 sentence summary due Fri.).

Also I would like to be able to allow for "group assignments" for me to print out, like read alouds. And for geography for next year, I would want to schedule readings, map work and some activities and have geography show up on the checklist for my oldest 2 with the details being in my spreadsheet for my use.

And how do you input "do the next thing" curriculum? My plan is to print and file all their weekly work (last year I just did 6 weeks at a time). So DD might have behind the Monday tab the following: a logic puzzle, copywork, reading section with questions for science, a word ladder and a vocab page, Is there a way in one of these programs to input that every Mon and Wed to do a logic puzzle? or copywork? without detailing which logic puzzle? Does that make any sense???

Can homeschool skedtrack do this?

We used the free version of Homeschool Tracker (Basic version) for several years. You download the program to your computer. I've loved using it and I was able to move assignments around and also have the assignment repeat as often as I needed.

Since DS is a rising 7th grader and my computer is rapidly aging (think screen duct-taped together), I grew increasingly uncomfortable with the program and all our records being on my computer, even though I back it up. We upgraded to the online version for $59 a year (all our records are now on HST's server or in the cloud somewhere). It's a little different from the basic version that I was used to, but I am getting the hang of it and quite like it.

I think Skedtrack could, I new at using it, so don't quote me! LOL   

I have things set up so there are 3 students: Child A, Child B, Group of Children.

Subjects just for Child A go under their courses.  The same for Child B.  Things for both kids goes in Group of Children.

For do the next thing curriculum, I think that is easy.  Once the courses are entered, make one base assignment and save it.  Then go into Edit assignment and in there you can copy that base assignment over as many times as you like.   I learned how to do that by watching the videos!  Very helpful!

Your quote --->"So DD might have behind the Monday tab the following: a logic puzzle, copywork, reading section with questions for science, a word ladder and a vocab page, Is there a way in one of these programs to input that every Mon and Wed to do a logic puzzle? or copywork? without detailing which logic puzzle? Does that make any sense???

Instead of having an English class, make a logic class and assign the days for it, then a copywork and assign those days, etc.  In the assignment window you can edit which logic puzzle you want her to do that day, or leave it open to be edited later and when she has completed the puzzle type the title of it into the planner at that point.

Also, did you know you can import a bunch of lesson plans which were typed out by dear thoughtful mothers who used this program ahead of us! :)  I was so excited to see many companies listed that I was already planning on using. 

• Like 1

I bet nobody will be surprised that I vote OneNote can do that, and it's free.

OneNote plays very nicely with the "do the next thing" materials.

I have a page for each week, although I could easily have a page for each day as well. On each week's page, it has a list for each day. So I type Monday, and then I list all the stuff I want them to do on Monday. Same with Tuesday and so on. Then I just copy and paste all the lists into each week's page, and I delete any lists where I know it'll be a day off. Very easy and doesn't take long.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I will look at all of them. I had been using excel, but it is a lot of tabs to keep up. I was hoping there is something ready to go I can use. 

I kind of do not want a web/cloud based option, but seems most are going that way.

I downloaded the basic Homeschool tracker and think it might work for now. Thanks Ethel Mertz!

I've used Homeschool Tracker for 8 years. LOVE IT!!!

Super easy to make repeated assignments. Awesome customer support.  There is a learning curve, though. I would make a pretend child and put in assignments and records for awhile before you do it for your real children. Let's just say that I liked it enough that I entered ALL of TOG 1-4 all four levels so that now all I do is access it for the right child at the right time and the year's assignments are ready to go in minutes.

I use Todoist, which is free. From my own account, I can assign tasks to each kid, and mark them as repeating or not, with a due date or not. They mark things off as they do them, so I can see in one place how things are going. Their chores in there, too. It's not specifically intended for homeschooling, but it works perfectly for our purposes.

You can assign tasks to repeat on only certain days; for instance, mine are assigned typing Sunday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and penmanship on Monday.