Menu

Please don't name your h.s. "Lastname Academy"

Part of the problem here is that homeschoolers don't all go to college or apply for jobs in the same state in which they were educated. My kids put homeschooled under high school and it has never been a problem. Would it be a problem in another state for a job or school application? I don't know.

In a state where no one is required to name their home school, is putting a name down "hiding" the fact the applicant is homeschooled?

What about database searches where schools come up with the same name and the computer says the applicant was never a student there?

It is an interesting discussion.

This is a really interesting question.

I just googled the name of our homeschool along with my surname and our county and state. The first result on the first page was the actual listing for our homeschool in our state database. So I guess it's easily searchable for anyone registered in our state. I don't know if that changes after our last child graduates. I'm not sure that the state maintains our information in the database after our homeschool is no longer "active".

ETA: I tried googling it a couple of other ways, and our homeschool listing kept popping up. I took out our surname (just the homeschool name w/county & state) and we were still the first listing. I took out the name of the state, and we dropped to the sixth listing on the first page. I don't think anyone googling our school name or trying to do a background check would confuse our homeschool with any of the b&m schools (in other states) that have the same name as us.

• Like 1

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, I apologize. I'm not sure why my posts are coming across poorly, but apparently they are. I'm sorry for any toes I've stepped on, feelings I've hurt, or sensibilities I've offended.

My only intention was to point out in some cases the name of a homeschool might need careful thought. I'm not sure how I'm botching that so much.

I didn't mean people couldn't post here. My posts are not coming across the way I intend them to, so rather than trying to explain I'll leave it at that.

I was only trying to help, which apparently I'm not doing. I see that now. Sorry.

Do not apologize. You didn't do anything wrong, other than to worry when things went in a direction you hadn't imagined they would. That will happen. Let it go. Don't try to explain, or encourage people to get back on track, or anything. Put your thoughts out there and let people discuss them in whatever way they want to. It's all good.

• Like 3

Do not apologize. You didn't do anything wrong, other than to worry when things went in a direction you hadn't imagined they would. That will happen. Let it go. Don't try to explain, or encourage people to get back on track, or anything. Put your thoughts out there and let people discuss them in whatever way they want to. It's all good.

Thanks. I guess what bothered me was being quoted and misunderstood. Attempts at clarifying made it worse. Oh well. I tried. Lesson learned. Moving on...

Thanks, again.

• Like 1

Our homeschool (legally considered a private school) has no name.  We will be starting our eighth year in the fall in this nameless state.  On my Half Price Books educator discount card, it says "Homeschool".

At some point, when I have to issue a diploma, I will probably call it "Sunny Lane Academy".  Except I will use our real street name.  But maybe not. Depends on what hits me at the time.

Interesting.   I first applied for the discount card when DD was 3, I was shopping for Sonlight books.  The clerk said I couldn't get the discount if the school didn't have a name.  I called it (our last name that starts with an H) House.  I am definitely thinking of changing it.  DH and I both have the same favorite president and he's recent enough that he doesn't have many schools named after him, although some.  So, maybe we'll use that.  

Thank you for sharing your perspective, OP.

I allowed DD to name our homeschool, and if we decide to go the whole way through (and not transfer to a local charter at the last minute for the "paper," I may need to consider a name change.  I suspect that "Rivendell Academy" may have the same issues as does "Lastname Academy." ;)

Which is why I did *not* allow my dd to name our homeschool.  She wanted "Starfleet Academy."

• Like 14

I named our homeschool after a local forest that is quite large and well known. I googled it and it turns out that there isn't a school with the exact name I chose for ours. I think it sounds nice and official. There are some situations where they really don't care where you went to high school. They just want to know that you went or it's just a blank spot on the application, form, etc. An official sounding name makes it easy for those who don't care or need to know more information. If someone does want more information, we are able to supply it but sometimes you just need a simple answer that most people understand and are familiar with.

• Like 10

I named our homeschool after a local forest that is quite large and well known. I googled it and it turns out that there isn't a school with the exact name I chose for ours. I think it sounds nice and official. There are some situations where they really don't care where you went to high school. They just want to know that you went or it's just a blank spot on the application, form, etc. An official sounding name makes it easy for those who don't care or need to know more information. If someone does want more information, we are able to supply it but sometimes you just need a simple answer that most people understand and are familiar with.

:iagree:

• Like 1

My state considers homeschool to be a private school.

I never liked the sound of academy, so I let my oldest pick from a narrow list each time he promoted. We do St. Anne's for elementary, Holy Trinity for middle school, and St. Thomas Aquinas for 9-12. And that's what their diplomas and transcripts read.  :tongue_smilie:

I've seen where the OP's situation can be an issue, even just for little things like educator discounts. It's annoying. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be trying to deal with that in the job market!  I kept my maiden name when I married, so between that and our homeschool name, any time my kids submit forms and whatnot we rarely stand out as a homeschool. Not that I desire to hide it, just sometimes it's less of a hassle to deal with. I'm all for less hassle, every time.

• Like 3

I suspect that "Rivendell Academy" may have the same issues as does "Lastname Academy." ;)

I know someone at a brick & mortar "Rivendell Academy" on the East Coast, and if you do a google search, you'll find a "Rivendell School District" in New Hampshire, so I think you're safe!

So far, we've only used a school name for discount cards and to get my son a printed shirt so it hasn't mattered that ds named our school after one of our dogs: Luna Academy.  This discussion has made me reconsider. :)   I think we'll make a discreet change to Streetname High School. Our corner of the subdivision uses classic authors as street names (e.g. Keats, Shelley, Poe), so I think it will work.

• Like 2

So far, we've only used a school name for discount cards and to get my son a printed shirt so it hasn't mattered that ds named our school after one of our dogs: Luna Academy. This discussion has made me reconsider. :) I think we'll make a discreet change to Streetname High School. Our corner of the subdivision uses classic authors as street names (e.g. Keats, Shelley, Poe), so I think it will work.

I want to live there! Do the book club meetings align with the street names? ;)

• Like 1

I had a typical-sounding school name picked out for the diploma and transcript because of all of the concerns you have listed above.  Oldest didn't want a name listed at all and insisted that, if we had to have a name, it had to be very clear that we had homeschooled and that we weren't trying to hide it. We compromised on "Last Name Academy"  The transcript makes it even clearer that we homeschooled by listing the school name under "Home School Information" instead of "School Information."  I'm quite sure dc will never again give the name I listed for our school to anyone for any reason, ever.