Menu

looking for easy, yummy ideas for camping meals

ProudGrandma

we are camping many times this summer and I am looking for great ideas for food.  We usually build a fire in the evening, but not for breakfast or lunch...so any breakfast or lunch ideas need to be ones that can be made ahead of time, on a griddle or camp stove.  

we have a hybrid camper...so it's not like tenting...so I have most utensils, and pots etc.

Also have a fridge and freezer.  

Not everything needs to be "campy"....just fun...different...than home...but easy.

Plus, if you camp a lot, what sort of food items are staples in your camper?

thanks.

If you can heat up something at lunch we do black bean tacos:

1 can black beans drained

1 can corn drained

1 can petite diced tomatoes, drained

1 packet taco seasoning mix

heat together and put on flour tortilla with cheese.  Can easily add chicken, beef or rice to above mixture.  If you have it, you can also top with lettuce, green onions, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, etc.  The combos are endless and super simple.

• Like 1

If you can heat up something at lunch we do black bean tacos:

1 can black beans drained

1 can corn drained

1 can petite diced tomatoes, drained

heat together and put on flour tortilla with cheese.  Can easily add chicken, beef or rice to above mixture.  If you have it, you can also top with lettuce, green onions, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, etc.  The combos are endless and super simple.

Super similar recipe that I was going to post!  We make Black bean and Corn quesadillas.

1 can black beans, drained

1 can corn drained, 

Some red onion diced

2 cups of cheese

We place tortilla on griddle and place mixture on half.  Fold over to make quesadilla shape and cook on both sides.

We eat ours with sour cream.

Also I agree that add water only pancake mix is a very easy thing to make on a griddle (coleman stove) for breakfast.

I will keep on thinking!

We are with Ottakee and Okra... we do a black bean meal without fail. It maybe be quesadilla, burrito or just a bowl. I do tend to make instant rice to round out the bowl.

We also tend to do a stir fry on the Coleman stove -- I prep the onions and broccoli (whatever veg you want) and throw the meat/tofu in teriyaki sauce in the morning before we go out hiking. When we get done frolicking for the day, I make up the rice, then stir fry the meat, then do the veggies. I make too much of everything, and then make stir fried rice for dinner the next day. The stir fried rice just needs a few eggs, frozen veg, peanuts (optional), sliced scallions and soy sauce.

In addition, we do hot dogs, roasted over the campfire (not gourmet, but the kids love it). 

In the summer, I like to cook fresh veggies on our dutch oven.  I like green beans, potatoes and corn on the cob all thrown in with some liquid (water or chicken broth).  For my kids, I also sometimes put some ham in there.  I do a lot of our dinners on campfire with the dutch oven.  

For fun: twist / wrap a chunk of biscuit dough (from a can) on the end of a stick, and rotate it over the fire, like you do when roasting marshmallows. If you brush the dough with melted or soft butter and sprinkle with a cinnamon and sugar mixture to turn it into a dessert.

I always liked the graham crackers and frosting "sandwiches" we had for dessert.

My kids love "walking tacos." It's a family favorite. Basically all your taco fixings (meat, cheese, lettuce, salsa) are dumped into a mini bag of frito chips. No mess, no fuss.

We sold those at our small hometown's annual festival thing when I was in middle school (so, 35 or so years ago!) and called them "Pepperbellies" (I have no idea why!).  We just did chili and cheese, not taco fixings, but they were pretty popular as I recall.  Thanks for bringing back a good memory.  :)