Menu

Did anyone else drop a kid off at today's ACT?

My DD is taking another stab at it today.  Hoping she does better then last time.  If she doesn't get her goal of 20, she will not be able to dual enroll this year.  I am okay with that, but I'd love for her to be able to take something outside the house.

Yep, two of them!  And at different test centers (one of them signed up all of 1/2 an hour later and the first site was full...)

One's taking it for the second time; she's just looking to improve her math score because she didn't finish the section the first time, and she added writing.  The other one's taking it for the first time - hope she does well!  She took the June SAT last week and I'd rather not have to use it after the snafu...

Dropped off two today. DD forgot her calculator and was pretty upset about it. Luckily, she is a sophomore and only taking it for practice. DS forgot his ticket in the car, but I hadn't even made it out of the parking lot before he remembered. :)

Mine drove herself. It is her first time taking the ACT. She is supposed to be starting her Junior year, but wants to graduate a year early, so this is important to her. She's spent quite a bit of time studying the last couple of weeks, although she is limited by her two CC classes and the fact that she competes at Acro nationals in less than 2 weeks, so she is training a lot too. 

Yep, two of them! And at different test centers (one of them signed up all of 1/2 an hour later and the first site was full...)

One's taking it for the second time; she's just looking to improve her math score because she didn't finish the section the first time, and she added writing. The other one's taking it for the first time - hope she does well! She took the June SAT last week and I'd rather not have to use it after the snafu...

Mine took the ACT after the SAT mess last week. He felt like he did better on the SAT than the test this morning, but who knows with the change in scoring. I really wish they would offer an SAT in September this year. He feels like that is his better test, but he has to take subject tests in October.

He's happy it's all over. I'm going to be sitting on pins and needles waiting for scores.

Mine felt the math was harder than most of the 9 practice tests he took.  He had been getting to all but 2 or 3 of the questions and scoring high, but had to blind guess on 10 of today's math.  He wanted to be done and not have to take it in the fall.  He felt better about the SAT last weekend.    Time will tell.  He worked hard preparing.  Unfortunately his reward is getting his wisdom teeth out on Monday!  

My 9th grade twins took the ACT for the first time today. It was their very first standardized testing experience ever, but both felt pretty upbeat about their effort.  They even thought the writing went well. We also utilized the ACT id letter for each of them, and it turned out fine.

It would be great if their actual results end up mirroring their current impressions, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I can say that we are ALL happy to have this one done and under our belts. Now, on with the rest of our summer!

• Like 1

Dropped my son off this morning for his first attempt. He was very confident after a good night's sleep. He was even talking about how incredible it would be if he got a perfect score. Picked him up and he was brain dead! Not quite so peppy and very certain he wouldn't come close to a perfect score 😪. He's just happy to be done with it though and feels he did his best to prepare for a first big test. Best luck to all the others out there!

Mine felt the math was harder than most of the 9 practice tests he took. He had been getting to all but 2 or 3 of the questions and scoring high, but had to blind guess on 10 of today's math. He wanted to be done and not have to take it in the fall. He felt better about the SAT last weekend. Time will tell. He worked hard preparing. Unfortunately his reward is getting his wisdom teeth out on Monday!

My son gets the same reward! And he, too, felt the math was much harder than the practice tests in the books and in the 4 day class he took. We shall see!

My dd1 took it today for the second time. Dh really wants her to raise her score, but we will see. She said the math was harder than the practice tests, but not harder than the math section in September. I have already argued with Dh about taking it again. She is done. And her stress with recruiting is only really beginning. She is sorting through official visit offers, answering emails, and talking to coaches (she calls, they can call starting July 1) nearly every day. Her score will be what it will be.

As I said to Dh, it is unfair to expect perfection in every area of life.

DS took it for the first time today.  He's a humanities guy.  He felt the math went better than the SAT math sections last week, and felt like the science was hardest overall (but maybe just tired because science was last).  Overall he felt better about the SAT last week.  (I haven't told him (yet) about the college board throwing out two sections.)  It was his first time for both, so I'm curious to see which one looks better. 

For ds it was his first ACT and he was just happy he was able to finish it. Speed was a big struggle during practice tests, but he was able to finish all the sections today. He also thought the math seemed a little harder than the practice tests.

My was back for a second stab at it today.  Based on his test prep, I'd expected a significantly higher score last time.  I didn't want him to wait until fall, because I wanted this year's math to be fresh in his head. However, he did pretty well on the writing section last time so skipped that part today.

Instead, he had to stay and take one of the extra developmental tests (used for future scoring).  He was not happy, and he ended up getting out at the same time as the last test. We waited and waited in the parking lot and then were a bit surprised when he was literally the first person out of the door!

He decided already that he wasn't going to take the SAT. Now begins the countdown to the release of test scores. I really, really hope this is the last time he'll need to take it.

My two also took the extra section, but they weren't given a choice. It was mandatory.

DD was thrown off by the science section. It was her first time taking it. She said all her practice tests start off with easy question and gradually get harder, but that wasn't the case yesterday. So, she spent too much time on the first questions and didn't finish. She forgot her calculator for math, but said she just did a lot of rounding off and guestimating to make it through in time.

DS was happy that he seems to have improved in speed and ability to answer all the questions, which is good since he's a rising senior and can't really keep trying to raise his score. :)

• Like 1

My 8th grade DD took the ACT for the first time yesterday. She felt okay coming out - She was able to complete the English, math, and science sections with 5 to 7 minutes to spare. She said that she only had about 15 seconds to spare on the reading section. I think more than anything, she was glad to have it done. She's anxiously awaiting her scores.