Menu

Has anyone had success with a cooling cloth?

MyThreeSons

I am intrigued by those cloths or wraps that I see advertised that you can drape around your neck to keep cool. We do not have working A/C in our house or car, and it can be miserable. 

If you have one that works, please post the specific brand, where you purchased it, and how much you spent. If you have flops to warn against, feel free to share those, too.

FrogTog. We LOVE ours. We live in the Deep South with high humidity and it makes a world of difference.

Thank you. We have high humidity here too. Do you remember where you got it?

ETA: I found that FroggTogg products may be available at Academy Sports and Dick's Sporting Goods. We have both of those nearby, so I'll check them out tomorrow.

We got some brand at Costco last year that work well. We use them at baseball games. The team keeps them in a cooler of ice water, and you switch them out when you need a fresh one. They work as the cold water evaporates, so they all work. Having access to cold water to re-dip the towel will keep it cool.

• Like 1

We have the Frogg Togg brand, which we purchased from Wal-Mart in the camping/hunting/sports section. It cost about $12. We've had it for a few years and it's still working great. It stays cool without feeling soaking wet. When it starts to warm up, just give it a shake and it feels cool again. Just make sure to keep it sufficiently wet for the best effect.

It's come in very handy for theme parks, camping, long walks, and so on. I do follow the care directions closely and keep it in its case when not in use to make sure it doesn't get smelly or moldy which can be an issue with wet items here in FL.

• Like 1

Thank you. We have high humidity here too. Do you remember where you got it?

ETA: I found that FroggTogg products may be available at Academy Sports and Dick's Sporting Goods. We have both of those nearby, so I'll check them out tomorrow.

We got ours at Dick's.  And they really do cool better if you wet them with warm water (like the directions say).

Yes, my dh bought the kind that Lowe's sells. He went to Israel with Ray Vander Laan and had to hike 6-8 miles in the desert. They really helped him a lot!

I saw that RVL has a new bible study coming out with footage from a trip there. I'm sure it was a great trip for your husband!

• Like 1

We got our Frog Tog at Academy last year before a Disney World trip. It was about $12 at the time I think. It worked great! Everyone was passing it around and fighting over it :) We use it for sports events too. I plan to buy more this year so we don't have to share.

In the meantime it's easy to make some temporary ones.   Just take any cloth, bandana or hand towel.  Dip it in cold water, wring out excess and drape it around the back of your neck.  It really  works!

Also, putting your feet in cold water will help a bit too.

When my boys were playing soccer, I purchased large quantities of washcloths, which I brought to practices and games in a small cooler of cold water. They were much appreciated. While they do cool you, they also tend to get you and your clothes wet, whereas the Frogg Togg and similar products don't. 

I have also used the feet in cold water trick too, but I can't get much done while doing that. I need to do some serious decluttering, both in the house with no central AC and in the "barn", with no cooling system at all. 

• Like 1

When my boys were playing soccer, I purchased large quantities of washcloths, which I brought to practices and games in a small cooler of cold water. They were much appreciated. While they do cool you, they also tend to get you and your clothes wet, whereas the Frogg Togg and similar products don't. 

I have also used the feet in cold water trick too, but I can't get much done while doing that. I need to do some serious decluttering, both in the house with no central AC and in the "barn", with no cooling system at all. 

Oh yes, they're only really good a temporary solution until you get the other product.  Good luck and I hope you're able to stay cool!

Oh yes, they're only really good a temporary solution until you get the other product.  Good luck and I hope you're able to stay cool!

Thanks -- I bought a Frogg Togg at Academy Sports yesterday. I had earlier picked up a different brand product from Ollie's. The Ollie's one was cheaper, and is bigger, and it does okay. But the Frogg Togg really takes the whole concept to a different level of effectiveness.

On top of that, ds got serious with me yesterday to convince me that we absolutely needed to do something to get some cooler air in this house. He stays in our little studio apartment, which is attached to the house, but separate, and has a window AC unit that keeps him comfy. So we picked up a new window unit yesterday and installed it this morning. Wow -- what a difference already! We keep the bedrooms closed off since they don't get used during the day, so we are only cooling the kitchen / dining / living area. 

• Like 1

Thanks -- I bought a Frogg Togg at Academy Sports yesterday. I had earlier picked up a different brand product from Ollie's. The Ollie's one was cheaper, and is bigger, and it does okay. But the Frogg Togg really takes the whole concept to a different level of effectiveness.

On top of that, ds got serious with me yesterday to convince me that we absolutely needed to do something to get some cooler air in this house. He stays in our little studio apartment, which is attached to the house, but separate, and has a window AC unit that keeps him comfy. So we picked up a new window unit yesterday and installed it this morning. Wow -- what a difference already! We keep the bedrooms closed off since they don't get used during the day, so we are only cooling the kitchen / dining / living area. 

AC is just wonderful, isn't it? Kiddoes usually learn who invented the telephone, the light bulb, and the cotton gin. I personally think who ever invented air conditioners should have a national holiday dedicated to them.

• Like 3