Menu

What history curriculum has lots of hands-on for 7th grade?

Bokons

My ds really likes crafty, hands-on activities. I don't think there are any like that for 7th grade. Does anyone know of any?

I told him that we'll try to get the crafty stuff with other subjects like art (which I'm not good at doing either). I've been looking at so many different history curricula on the internet, but still can't decide. I have until September, but I'd like to figure out pretty soon what we'll be using for next year.

Ds is at school for grade 6 this year. He liked SOTW when we used it in previous years.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Colleen

She has a bunch of great hands-on activities (building, creating, cooking, drawing, mapping, theatre/drama, music, etc.) to touch all the different styles of learning. That's how her curriculum is set up. There are 4 phases (4 wks) each geared toward a different learning style but covering the same topic. Her material is perfect for that grade level.

the Hands and Hearts History kits: these are pricy but complete "craft" kits that tie into a particular historical era. We've used Anc. Greeks, Anc. Romans, and The Middle Ages. My dd (age 12) is eagerly looking forward to the Anc. Far East kit. There are several others that cover American History. The projects span a number of age-ranges. IMO, the children on the upper age limit (like my daughter and your son) can enjoy the crafts independently and produce some stunning results.

This year we were not able to get a Hands-and-Hearts kit but are using Discovering Great Artists (this covers arts and crafts from the Renaissance to Modern times) and that is also going very well--again, the projects she's done are very satisfying and worthy of display. I almost let the suggested ages (younger) put me off, but I am glad that we have the book (which is *very* reasonably priced). We will get a lot of mileage from that book...

HTH,

I went to her website and bought the test booklets, but also there's an activity book (www.peacehillpress.com - click history/geography, then click for each of the books in the series, you'll see a "combo pack" and several other options.) When my dc were younger (they're in high school now) I bought the activity books for all four history books. There's activities/crafts/recipes for EVERY chapter. Not to mention mapping activities, and review questions for every chapter.

My dc really enjoyed this series.

the Hands and Hearts History kits: these are pricy but complete "craft" kits that tie into a particular historical era. We've used Anc. Greeks, Anc. Romans, and The Middle Ages. My dd (age 12) is eagerly looking forward to the Anc. Far East kit. There are several others that cover American History. The projects span a number of age-ranges. IMO, the children on the upper age limit (like my daughter and your son) can enjoy the crafts independently and produce some stunning results.

This year we were not able to get a Hands-and-Hearts kit but are using Discovering Great Artists (this covers arts and crafts from the Renaissance to Modern times) and that is also going very well--again, the projects she's done are very satisfying and worthy of display. I almost let the suggested ages (younger) put me off, but I am glad that we have the book (which is *very* reasonably priced). We will get a lot of mileage from that book...

HTH,

I just received the Ancient Far East kit for my dd (6th grade) to use as she is really a hands-on type. We are enjoying it so far. We have also done the Egypt, Greece/Rome and Middle Ages kits.

We have enjoyed the activities. I think our favorite is still the fruit mummy from the Egypt kit. We still have them sitting on our bookshelf.

I'll be spending lots of time looking at all the options. Ideally, I'd like something that ds can do mostly independently. He is more interested in Ancients or Middle Ages. I prefer history to be just history since I have other curriculum picked out already for science and LA.

Colleen